Beretta 92F 9mm

My son just graduated from college and wants to purchase his first pistol. He has fired my Glock, XD, & HK - 45acp & 40SW pistols, however, after firing his buddies 9mm he likes that round the best. With that he's decided he'd like a Beretta 92F.

What are the general opinions on this pistol

Used or new

Price guidlines

Where's a good spot to purchase here in Mid-TN

I don't have much experience with the Beretta - appreciate your input.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 92FS is an Awesome firearm. The first gun I purchased and CC'ed for the longest time. New should be in the $500 range. Used can be any where. Depending on the previous owner a used one would be the way to go. Marswolf, carried one in combat and personally for a long time. He always had GREAT things to say about them.

Easy to carry single double action are awesome.

The 92fs was also my first pistol (Lethal Weapon effect). In my opinion the 92 is the most accurate 9mm out of the box for under 1K. You can't really go wrong with one. My first one I put around 3 or 4K rounds through it with out a single issue. Still wish I had not sold it.

Guest JHatmaker

Also one of the first pistols I purchased. I absolutely loved it, but sold it to fund another purchase. Very well built, timeless design. I had wanted one since I was little (also Leathal Weapon, movie effect). Had no issues with it what so ever, smoothest 9mm I've shot...

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Another great thing about the 92FS is, $15 to $20 for new factory Beretta 15-round magazines.

Edited by TwoLaneBlackTop
Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

And while you are looking, you may run across both the 92FS and the M9, the M9 is the standard issue USGI service pistol. The only differences between the M9 and the 92FS are as follows.

The dust cover on a 92FS on the current production models is slightly angled, while it is parallel relative to the slide on a M9. Older 92 series guns had the parallel dust cover, the change was made to increase the strength.

The 92FS has a slightly different shape to the back-strap, a small recess cut for the thumb. I find both the M9 and 92FS still fell very similar in feel.

The 9SFS has a 3 dot system for it's sights, while the M9 uses a dual vertical bar.

Both should cost roughly the same price, do not pay much if any more for a M9. All this said I prefer the current 92FS over the M9.

Guest Revelator

Around here I see new 92s more like in the $600+ range. Try robertsontradingpost.com. They're sort of in West-Mid TN area. I bought a used (police trade-in) FS from them a few months ago for four bills, and on Guns America they've got some now for about four and a half.

Guest ricks

i have a 92fs inox and love it, was the first handgun i ever purchased. i added a stainless guide rod and a modified mainspring to reduce the trigger pull poundage; purchased from dave olhasso's site. David Olhasso's Beretta Site

92fs is easy to clean, great starter pistol, accurrate, and has tons of holster options. not sure about mid tn pricing, but I got mine in the top right corner of the state NIB for 515 out the door (after tax, background, etc.) 2 years ago or so.

Your biggest price point savings will be american (maryland) vs italian, blued vs inox, and model 92f, 92g, m9, 92f centurion, vertec, brig, elite, compact, steel, billy, or even the 92PT taurus build off the base beretta molds. You can tell the "generation" of the 92 by the dustcover.

Here is a great primer on the 92 locking block issue, and a great site for beretta news in general.

9x Series Locking Blocks - Beretta Forum

i've put 2k rounds through mine, with two ftf's ... both were in the first 50 rounds down the range which makes me think they were the result of limp wristing on my part.

good luck!

great gun... a classic.

owned both the beretta and taurus copies and liked them all.

that said, you should ask your son a couple questions...

does he plan to carry it? (they're big and heavy, especially for a 9mm, something to consider...)

does it really fit him? (those with smaller-medium hands often find them more than a little thick after they've lived with them for a bit...)

(on a side note, imho these days, when looking into getting a beretta, it's worth it to take a look at the stoeger cougar's... they're made on the exact same equipment as they were in italy, only now it's been relocated to turkey, and now they're $400 or less... compared to $900 or so when they were made in italy and badged beretta instead of stoeger.

they're a bit smaller and more ergonomic than a 92, which is better for carry/handling, and they are one of the few pistols out there based on the very cool rotating barrel design... leading to a shorter, reliable, barrel that's accurate as hell. i've never met a 92 fan who didn't like them... i think they never took off since beretta's original price for them was outrageous.)

Edited by CK1
that said, you should ask your son a couple questions...

does he plan to carry it? (they're big and heavy, especially for a 9mm, something to consider...)

does it really fit him? (those with smaller-medium hands often find them more than a little thick after they've lived with them for a bit...)

+1 Good advice.

They are big and heavy but they are what they are.... a full size combat pistol.

That said, it is a great first gun and would serve him very well. If he is looking for a carry piece would recommend smaller JMHO. He can always use this as his anchor to start the collection. Good luck let us know how it turns out.

Guest coldblackwind

I've got a 92fs, great gun! Accurate, and fun to shoot. I also have small hands, as they mentioned above, I don't have any problem with it, but I could see where some people might definitely find it to be uncomfortable. As for price, I paid $350 plus tax and tics, but mine was used (and had a green slide...luckily, I knew a guy who just added blueing to his machine shop list of services, and he redid it for free so he could test out his tanks). I see them fairly commonly for $400-$450 new, or in good used condition. I haven't checked in a few months though, that could have risen dramatically with the price spikes of the recent months.

Guest Policek9Trainer

I over 24 years carried either a colt 357 or a S&W 9mm for my service weapon. The last department I worked for they supplied the weapons, a 92F and I loved that duty weapon of anything I've ever shot or carried. It just felt natural in my hands. One day I hope to get one.

Contact one of the vendors here at TGO. I bought a VERY nice 96d Brig. "police special" from Tri Cities gun depot in Elizabethton for cheap. They are out there to be had and nothing beats getting a good gun and 3 mags to boot.:D

And I am carrying a 96d police special I bought a few years ago right now, OWB is not so bad but IWB would be a bugger.:meh:

I'm gonna make some calls to some of the TGO vendors and see what they have available. Then I'll go with him to see how it fits and points. I don't think he's gonna carry initially, however, will get more details when he gets back from his post-grad/pre-work road trip. Looks like 9mm ammo might be tough to find from what I read, too bad he won't consider 40SW or 45acp - reload for those and have plenty.

Oh well!

Hey thanks so much for all the great feedback - I'll post as things develop!

Guest Dean_JC78

Was my first pistol and have never even thought about selling it. Never once had any issues with it and its very accurate. I know there is a lot of hype around the 92F and its been in every game/movie but it really is just a great sidearm.

I have no idea what they are going for now but I suspect the others in this thread know what they are talking about in that area.

My only regret was I did not get the night sights on it. So my only advice would be to get that on it so you wont have any regrets.

Good luck in your search!