No wonder WalMart is getting out of the gun biz.

Guest ScottD

Guest ScottD

I went to WalMart the other day to buy a Ruger 10/22. They had the basic carbine for $197 + Tax/BG.

Transaction starts. I tell the moron behind the counter, I would like this one (pointing to the 10/22 in the merry go round). He gets it out and off to the back he goes to find the box.

Billy Bob the moron returns about 5 minutes later with the box. He hands me the background paper, and I fill it out. I just moved, so my license does not reflect my new address, but HAS been updated with the state.

He is checking over the form, and he sees my license doesn't match my listed address. OH NO WE CANT DOOO THIS! Your information doesn't match.

I made my case that I had updated it with the state, but he persisted and said the only way it would work is for me to bring an ID with my new address. He notes a fishing license works, and says go to Dicks and get one, cause we cant do them here for this purpose.

Well, wanting the gun, and realizing Billy Bob the moron wasn't going to give up his ground I go to Dicks and get the $5.50 license and come back. He's happy now. Apon further review, he was right about one thing.

During all of this he's telling me about all the guns he owns, and trying to discuss some of the upcoming laws. Needless to say he was dumb as dirt.

Skipping forward. He calls TBI to do the BG check. As he's looking over the form, he says WAIT! You didn't put your SSN down. I again explain I don't have to. It says it right there on the form.

He continues to insist that I have to put it on there or when they run it, it will come back pending. He would not call until I gave it too him. I should have known better, and left, but I had driven to the Boro to get the gun, and was ready to leave with it. So, being a dumbass, I gave Billy Bob the moron my SSN to put on the form.

I'm approved! Who would have thought. And it didn't come back pending, obviously because I gave my SSN right?! Now he procedes to call a manager for gun approval.

While waiting on the manager to show up, the moron continues to tell me about how he shops @ Barrett's all the time (he was refering to the Outpost) and how if you don't give your SSN they wont run the BG check either. FWIW I don't know how the Outpost handles business, but if they require the SSN on the BG form (I doubt they do) they are doing it wrong.

The manager shows up, and begins to look over the BG check I have already passed. He brings up the issue of my ID not matching the form. WTF does it matter?! I've ALREADY PASSED THE CHECK.

Finally he "clears" the purchase, I pay, and he walks me out the door.

A 15 minute gun purchase has now turned into a 2 hour ordeal. FU WALMART.

Edited by ScottD
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The address has to match or you have to be in possession of an "official" document with the actual address. Doesn't matter if you're updated with the State, this is Federal. Their rules.

I went to WalMart the other day to buy a Ruger 10/22. They had the basic carbine for $197 + Tax/BG....I go to Dicks and get the $5.50 license ...A 15 minute gun purchase has now turned into a 2 hour ordeal. ....

Well, you saved $2.99 by not buying it at Dick's.

Or lost $2.51 if you don't use the fishing license.

(assuming they had one in stock, which they have here for about a year).

- OS

I'm pretty sure its state law that the address on your ID must match what you write on the form.

Apparently its a federal law, I stand corrected. Also, if you update your address w/ the state online, you can print out a form showing the pending address change.

Edited by BrandonTN

The young man was simply doing his job. Reread your post and put yourself in the WalMart employee's position. He was likely a lot nicer to you than I'd have been. You should direct your anger to your elected politicians who make the laws instead of the guy making minimum wage who merely has to obey them. Think about what kind of impression you are making as a gun owner when you act that way. We really don't need any more bad press.

Guest ScottD

The TBI person never asked for the information off of the fishing license. They simply took the address provided. Also, you all apparently are ignoring the fact that he personally, NOT walmart policy was requiring me to place my SSN on the form. But I guess that's just him doing his job as well.

The TBI person never asked for the information off of the fishing license. They simply took the address provided. Also, you all apparently are ignoring the fact that he personally, NOT walmart policy was requiring me to place my SSN on the form. But I guess that's just him doing his job as well.

It's the clerk's job to validate the ID, not the TBI. DUH!.

The TBI assumes that the information is correct. They don't care what you're using, as long as it is on the list of "approved forms of ID."

Guest ScottD

Ok, I do see where the TBI requires a matching ID... My mistake and a bit of crow to be eaten. My bigger problem is still with the SSN issue.

Guest ScottD
And while it's not necessary to put your SS# on the form, it sure speeds up the process.

It's never slowed it down for me before...

It's not the TBI that worries me. They have my SSN regardless. But I don't want every Tom, Dick, and Harry having my SSN when I buy a gun.

Guest jos2f

I bought my Rem. 700 at Walmart. The lady was good about everything, the only downside is I waited 30+ minutes on the background check before my wife's complaining became too much to handle. At that point, the lady behind the desk said she'd hold the gun and if I came back the next day we could finish it (the approval should be in by then, she said).

I come back the next day and bam, approval was back about 15 minutes after I left the night before :)

before my wife's complaining became too much to handle. At that point, the lady behind the desk said she'd hold the gun and if I came back the next day we could finish it(

Lesson learned. Never take the wife when you want to get a gun right there and then. :)

Guest jos2f
Lesson learned. Never take the wife when you want to get a gun right there and then. :D

Man you're not kidding. It will be the last time I do that.

My wife does not see the point in owning multiple guns. In fact, when I told her I wanted to buy this rifle she said "but you have that (pointing to my .22) rifle already, why do you need this one (referring to a 30.06)" :)

Man you're not kidding. It will be the last time I do that.

My wife does not see the point in owning multiple guns. In fact, when I told her I wanted to buy this rifle she said "but you have that (pointing to my .22) rifle already, why do you need this one (referring to a 30.06)" :)

Just point out two similar looking pairs of shoes of hers and then .....

well, maybe not.

- OS

Last I heard was that since Tennessee does their own TICs check and not a Federal one that the Social has been required.

It states that on the Federal Form because even though they ignore their own law, the SSN is not a form of ID.

So who wants to video tape their next gun purchase KNOWING they don't need to provide a SSN. Won't lead to road rash of the head but should still be interesting to view on You Tube.

Last I heard was that since Tennessee does their own TICs check and not a Federal one that the Social has been required.,,,

First two or three guns I bought about a year ago in my "new gun era", I didn't use SSN. Checks seemed to take a long time.

The ones I've bought since, I used SSN, thinking it might speed things up. Most of them have been quicker, but could just be coincidental with varying load on system.

Anyway, point is, I've bought a number of guns in the last year or so, both with and without.

- OS

oh yeah, the background check verifiers are keeping track of SS#'s/

you can all cry BS about this all you want, but I have no doubt there is some tin foil hat stuff going on here. Why else would SS# checks go through very fast and non # checks cause trouble.

I keep my hat screwed on tight for a reason. :D

Guest MikeH

SSN is just a good way for the low paid, bored state employee to verify that you are the good John Smith, not the felonious one. If things don't match up, then an actual person has to verify the info, rather than TICS' hits from NCIC, NLETS, and TIES. Your SSN is ONLY kept at the point of purchase in a file with only a couple more thousand. The TBI/TICS records purge your name and the serial number of the firearm at midnight.

Just my $.02

Guest ScottD
SSN is just a good way for the low paid, bored state employee to verify that you are the good John Smith, not the felonious one. If things don't match up, then an actual person has to verify the info, rather than TICS' hits from NCIC, NLETS, and TIES. Your SSN is ONLY kept at the point of purchase in a file with only a couple more thousand. The TBI/TICS records purge your name and the serial number of the firearm at midnight.

Just my $.02

Again, I'm not worried so much about the gov't having the SSN. Hell they issued it to me. It's the fact that I have to give it to him aloud (actually I had the card on me for other reasons) and then he reads my SSN aloud in the middle of a busy WalMart.

I don't know about you, but I don't have LifeLock (sarcasm) and don't like my SSN number being broadcast to bystanders.

Guest MikeH
Again, I'm not worried so much about the gov't having the SSN. Hell they issued it to me. It's the fact that I have to give it to him aloud (actually I had the card on me for other reasons) and then he reads my SSN aloud in the middle of a busy WalMart.

I don't know about you, but I don't have LifeLock (sarcasm) and don't like my SSN number being broadcast to bystanders.

OK gotcha! I am gonna call foul on the whole reading aloud incident. I guess I would have asked for my 4473 back and written it in the blank before I would have announced myself to the (Wally) world. I guess there IS a big difference in a gun shop and a store that sells guns.......

Guest MCRAIG

Do you really think billy bob moron is smart enough to steal your identity? I work at wal-mart and they make it difficult to buy guns for one reason, they don't wanna sell them. In the next few years all Wal-Marts will be gun free. As far as moron free....not as long as their are moronic shoppers coming in with their screaming dirty diaper kids throwing crap all around the place. Thank god I work in the pharmacy and not where I have to deal with the public.