No wonder WalMart is getting out of the gun biz.

Guest ScottD

Guest jwb68
Do you really think billy bob moron is smart enough to steal your identity? I work at wal-mart and they make it difficult to buy guns for one reason, they don't wanna sell them. In the next few years all Wal-Marts will be gun free. As far as moron free....not as long as their are moronic shoppers coming in with their screaming dirty diaper kids throwing crap all around the place. Thank god I work in the pharmacy and not where I have to deal with the public.

Is Walmart going to get out of the ammo business as well?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ranger Rick
The young man was simply doing his job. Reread your post and put yourself in the WalMart employee's position. He was likely a lot nicer to you than I'd have been. You should direct your anger to your elected politicians who make the laws instead of the guy making minimum wage who merely has to obey them. Think about what kind of impression you are making as a gun owner when you act that way. We really don't need any more bad press.

Have to agree.

When it comes right down to it, he did give out a "way around the process" by telling a customer about the fishing license deal. (I would never have guessed that was the way to go. :P)

Even though the process took 2 hours... he did get the gun. Considering there was not a valid license address... that's pretty good. :P

Walmart is Walmart. I don't have high expectations for service. Just expect cheap stuff. Sometimes, I'm disappointed when I get that too! :D

Guest Glocked-N-Loaded
Since all links are to stories 14+ months ago, I don't give them much credence. Unless there's a definition of "soon" I don't know.

- OS

I'm simply putting the information out there, take from it what you will. :shake:

I'm simply putting the information out there, take from it what you will. :)

I know, I wasn't questioning YOUR credence :poop:.

The best "analysis" of WalMart's decision about which stores sell guns I've read is from a NY Times article that goes all the way back to Wally's decision in 2006. I still think it's simply a "decision by spreadsheet" as to which areas sell enough guns to make the FFL licensing and checks worth the hassle.

Wal-Mart Will Stop Selling Guns in a Third of Its U.S. Stores - New York Times

----------------------

Wal-Mart Will Stop Selling Guns in a Third of Its U.S. Stores

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: April 15, 2006

By The Associated Press

Wal-Mart Stores, the discount retail giant, has decided to stop selling guns in about a third of its American stores in what it calls a marketing decision based on lack of demand, a company spokeswoman said yesterday.

The company said it decided last month to remove firearms from about 1,000 stores in favor of stocking other sporting goods, in line with a strategy that is intended to increase sales by paying closer attention to local differences in demand.

"This decision is based on diminished customer relevancy and demand in these markets," the Wal-Mart spokeswoman, Jolanda Stewart, said.

Representatives at hunting and shooting organizations said they were surprised that Wal-Mart, which has a strong hunting tradition, would surrender the field in at least some areas to big-box outfitting stores like Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's.

"For some folks, it will affect them as far as where they get their deer rifle or shotgun," said Gregg Patterson, a spokesman for the hunting and conservation group Ducks Unlimited.

The National Rifle Association said it was concerned people in rural areas, where Wal-Mart might be the only purveyor, may no longer have access to guns.

"We've been told by Wal-Mart that the decision would be made on a store-by-store basis based on demand," the chief lobbyist for the N.R.A., Chris Cox, said. "The N.R.A. and our members will be watching closely to make sure they stay true to their word."

Steve Wagner, a spokesman for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the trade association for the shooting, hunting and firearms industry, said the change could be a boon for mom-and-pop hunting stores that lost business to Wal-Mart.

Gun control advocates welcomed the move. The Violence Policy Center, a gun control group, said Wal-Mart's decision reflected what it called a decline in gun ownership.

"The marketplace has spoken and the losers are America's gun industry and the gun lobby," the agency executive director, Josh Sugarmann, said in a statement.

Ms. Stewart of Wal-Mart declined to specify what stores were affected. Wal-Mart, based in Bentonville, Ark., has about 1,200 discount stores and 1,900 supercenters, which include a grocery section, in all 50 states. Wal-Mart says it sells rifles and shotguns. In Alaska, it also sells handguns.

"As with all merchandise decisions that we make," Ms. Stewart said, "our decision to remove guns from Wal-Mart locations is simply based on the lack of customer purchase history of firearms in a given community."

As Wal-Mart seeks growth by moving from rural America into cities and suburbs, it finds it needs to retune its inventory from hunting and fishing to more home fitness and exercise products.

--------

- OS

Oddly enough in the Knoxville area, of which there is no shortage of Wal-Marts by any means, they all sell guns except the two in West Knoxville.

Those are the two that have the worst ammo selections and shortages it seems.

I did not read all the way so if it was mentioned before i do apologize. Starting Nov 15 2008 the new form 4473(fed form) has a section that asks if the address on the ID is not current what other document is used as proof. In Ca we ask for that document to be issued by some sort of a government entity, be it the city, police dept. DMV or what not. I wont expect the guy you dealt with knowing the proper way of dealing with things that is why he was causing so much headache.