Need some help - rank these budget 9MM options

RinTN

I'm looking for a 9MM on a budget, preferably under $400 OTD. These are some of the options that I've been able to find locally. If you're familiar with some/all of these, I'd appreciate it if you could rank them - 1 as best, 5 as worst.

Taurus 24/7 Pro

Ruger P95

Stoeger Cougar

S&W 9VE

Bersa Thunder 9

Thanks! :up:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

Would you be willing to purchase a pre-owned gun? That would put you in reach of a nicer 9mm.

I don't have experience with all of these, but I would rank them as follows:

1) Ruger

2) S&W

3) Taurus

4) Stoeger

5) Bersa

I think this is a situation where any of them would be good. I like the style/format of the Taurus the best, since them (along with Beretta) have been making that gun for a while and it's a solid platform. I've never handled or shot a Stoeger or Bersa, though Bersa's .380 pistols have a good reputation for quality/reliability for the money.

• Admin Team

I would personally stay away from the 9VE. I have only fired two, but neither inspired confidence. One would not keep the slide back on an empty mag when it was new. The other wouldn't keep the slide back after a couple hundred rounds. Both had trigger pulls that were really rough and unbelievably heavy - even for a DAO pistol.

Guest JHatmaker
I would personally stay away from the 9VE. I have only fired two, but neither inspired confidence. One would not keep the slide back on an empty mag when it was new. The other wouldn't keep the slide back after a couple hundred rounds. Both had trigger pulls that were really rough and unbelievably heavy - even for a DAO pistol.

I agree on the trigger pull, it's not the best out there. The one I shot didn't have any mechanical issues, but I only shot about 30+ rounds.

I would advise to handle each one of these in person first, you may not like the feel of one vs the other, and need to be comfortable handling whatever you get.

Guest jos2f

I wouldn't be afraid to buy a Bersa.

The Taurus 9mm I held was extremely comfortable for me, haven't really held the others

... You can probably buy a used CZ 75B for that price, and that, as far as I am concerned, is the best 9mm ever made.

I'm not 100% against getting something that's used. It's more a matter of finding one that I'm confident is in good condition and priced in my range.

I'd go with the Ruger, actually I did.

I have the P95 and for the money it is a great value. I have not had one issue with it period. If you go with the blued version you can be out the door for a good bit under $400 if you look around. It is a large gun, but it is what it is, a full size combat pistol. My bill was $410 OTD for mine but I bought a bunch of other crap from the gun store while I was there. I don't regret buying it and doubt I'd ever sell it (would not really be worth much if I did). I'm as accurate with it as I was with my Beretta 92FS that I let go. It is not a bad thing to have a gun that is a high value piece that your not sacred to use and abuse..... just my :up:.

Let us know what you decide.

It's actually the lowest priced of the options I listed. So, it certainly sounds like a lot of bang for the buck.

It definately is. If you were closer I'd be happy to get with you sometime to let you handle/shoot the gun.

Is this ever going to be a carry gun or something you plan to use to protect your life?

Carry...no, I've done it enough to know it is not really a good option at all, but no full size pistol is really. That said, protect my live....absolutely. I can not force that gun to malfunction even by trying to. I would trust my life to that gun without hesitation, I know it works, I know how it has been taken care of, I know it will go bang and where that bullet will go (can't ask for much more). Preferably if in a fire fight I'd have a 12ga, but you don't always get to plan for such things do you?

Is this ever going to be a carry gun or something you plan to use to protect your life?

If so, I'd re-think and re-prioritize with cost being a lesser factor. :D

I wouldn't be expecting to use it as a carry unless something very unusual came up. With that said, are there options that wouldn't cost too much more that you think would be better over all?

Guest sling
I wouldn't be expecting to use it as a carry unless something very unusual came up. With that said, are there options that wouldn't cost too much more that you think would be better over all?

Define unusual? I'm all for a cheap range gun... but the worst things happen when things are unusual.

I, personally, would save my pennies for a little longer and get something different than the choices you listed. Maybe i'm just being paranoid.

Guest grimel

Well, gunbroker usually has a G17/G19 first or second gen or eight selling for around $400. There is "always" a FEG/FM Hi-power around $300. Normally, there are 910 S&W autos in the $300 range.

I'd go for the cougar. they were $900 when the exact same gun said beretta on the slide...

(the rest of the guns on the list are "2nd teir" IMHO)

also, like some others have said, a 2nd gen glock can be had for $400...