Governor Phil Bredesen Vetoes HB0962 (Restaurant Carry Bill)

Guest ColdEspresso

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest benchpresspower

Bredesen, has been, currently is, and always will be a snake in the grass. Political agenda nothing more nothing less.

Guest HexHead
Good question, but my feeling is he would still have vetoed it.

This may show otherwise....

"The notion that we would pass a bill, that we would have a bill now that would now permit one to carry a loaded concealed weapon into a crowded bar at midnight on saturday, I think defies common sense," Bredesen told the media at a 4 pm eastern news conference.

For whatever reason this bill just got a whole lot of media attention, even on the national level.

Maybe because we're the first state to try and expand gun provisions in a post-Obama America?

Guest jos2f
If the Republicans in this country had the balls the Democrats do, things would be a lot different.

I wish I had a pair like Pelosi has

Originally posted by ngoeser59

Governor Vetoes Restaurant Carry Bill

I can't believe Bredesen chose this route. I can't believe after all the calls, after all the support, after all those votes in the house & senate in favor of good citizens who have been properly trained to carry for self defense.....HE VETOES IT. The people spoke through their representatives and he does not care. I sent him at least three emails and called twice. I asked one of his staff to put my letter directly in his hand. It really is ALL ABOUT POLITICS. He cares more about Democrats votes than innocent lives apparently. This is ridiculous. I guess the news will finally run what they taped of me last week starting tonight and through the weekend to counter what Bredesen just did. I hope to God there are enough votes in the senate to turn over his veto. I am so dissapointed. So

Nikki- I am deeply sorry for you I know what this meant to you and for you. I hope and believe that the legislature will do the right thing and hopefully send a message back to the govenor for this spineless veto. Don't give up yet. Take care and try to have a good weekend.

Guest benchpresspower

So do the Senate and House vote in one session or are we looking at two different sessions for the override? If and when it is overridden does it automatically become law being that it will be after June 1st?

Guest FroggyOne2
No disrespect to any of the LEOs on this board....but I guess that just shows the guys with the badges and guns have more pull than we do.

Also that the idea of a "nanny state" is alive and well in TN. The government knows what is better for us than we do.......

When Chiefs and such get to where they are.. it is no longer a LEO thing, but a political thing.. they forget where they came from.. they are just trying to make points with the political establishment.. just like the FOP, the majority of its memebers are pro.. but to listen to the talking heads.. you would think that the org is anti-gun.. and what kills me is that they mouth off like what they say is the same sentiment of the rest of the memebers of the FOP.. Talking Heads are nothing but that! A bunch of political hacks. None of them represent me.. that is for sure.

Guest HexHead
I wish I had a pair like Pelosi has

Be careful what you wish for. :D

But the basic premise is correct. The Republicans are a bunch of spineless jellyfish. The only reason I stay registered is so I can vote in the primaries. Otherwise, they're showing themselves to be completely worthless.

To clarify....I agree the LEO brass and organizations do not always reflect the officer on patrol. But of course that is what the we are lead to believe.

...and my statement was geared more toward the political machine available to the LEO brass and organizations and not the individual officer.

Guest HexHead
When Chiefs and such get to where they are.. it is no longer a LEO thing, but a political thing.. they forget where they came from.. they are just trying to make points with the political establishment.. just like the FOP, the majority of its memebers are pro.. but to listen to the talking heads.. you would think that the org is anti-gun.. and what kills me is that they mouth off like what they say is the same sentiment of the rest of the memebers of the FOP.. Talking Heads are nothing but that! A bunch of political hacks. None of them represent me.. that is for sure.

Cops can't control what their chiefs say and do. Okay, that's a given. But if they aren't taking control of what their union, the one that's supposed to be representing them says, then they are just as much part of the problem.

Guest macmonkey

I know we're all pissed about this but I think the name-calling is pretty pointless. Let's look at the facts.

• Tennessee is one of 10 states that have laws forbidding guns in restaurants that serve alcohol. For those that can't count that's 40 other states where guns ARE permitted without incident.

• Concealed Carry holders have obtained a right to do so by FOLLOWING THE LAW. If consuming alcohol while in possession of a firearm is still against the law then those of us legally carrying will not take part completely defying the anti-gun argument.

• The bill has passed the House and Senate meaning that a lot of people have considered and researched the issue just to be swatted away by a single man.

• The pro-gun crowd including ourselves is better armed (with knowledge) than the anti-gun crowd and our argument more well articulated.

• The Tennessean spared not one release without showing their rabid disdain for the 2nd Amendment meanwhile their subscriptions are declining meanwhile the NRA and forums such as TNGunOwners.com are increasing membership substantially.

• Despite the puppets in Metro (whom have allegiance to the Gov.) my conversation with at least 15 suburban police officers and TBI agents highlight their agreement that the 2nd Amendment doesn't discriminate between your home and a restaurant.

• The anti-gun crowd kept conjuring up images of the 'Wild West' but it becomes obvious that they don't realize that the 'Wild West' we know from television and movies was a complete embellishment. People weren't shooting each other in the streets (or in the bar for that matter) yet almost all of them had guns.

• Those of us FOR the passage of this bill want it for the sake of us and our family at the O'Charley's, TGI Friday's, J. Alexanders, Olive Garden not for the sake of a night out on the town at the Outer Limits.

Basically what I'm saying is that we may have lost this 'battle' but the argument is pretty clear in our favor and with a little persistence we can push this thing over the edge and stand up for our rights.

Join the TFLAC, Call and email your Rep's, Senators and let the Governors office know what a mistake this was. Join the NRA.

Guest db99wj

I know there is a lot of emotion in this, but for some reason, I am not surprised, I kinda of expected this.

With his statement of his veto being overridden, tells me that this was political and nothing else he is furthering his career. Plain and simple.

So when does this go into effect?

+1

Ditto. :-(

Though, realistically, I have to think that he would have taken whatever political payoff (or been effected by whatever blackmail) even if the restrictions were in place. The fact that they weren't just gives him some wiggle room to make it sound like he's not as anti-2A as he's showing himself to be.

Guest HexHead
I know we're all pissed about this but I think the name-calling is pretty pointless. Let's look at the facts.

• Tennessee is one of 10 states that have laws forbidding guns in restaurants that serve alcohol. For those that can't count that's 40 other states where guns ARE permitted without incident.

• Concealed Carry holders have obtained a right to do so by FOLLOWING THE LAW. If consuming alcohol while in possession of a firearm is still against the law then those of us legally carrying will not take part completely defying the anti-gun argument.

• The bill has passed the House and Senate meaning that a lot of people have considered and researched the issue just to be swatted away by a single man.

• The pro-gun crowd including ourselves is better armed (with knowledge) than the anti-gun crowd and our argument more well articulated.

• The Tennessean spared not one release without showing their rabid disdain for the 2nd Amendment meanwhile their subscriptions are declining meanwhile the NRA and forums such as TNGunOwners.com are increasing membership substantially.

• Despite the puppets in Metro (whom have allegiance to the Gov.) my conversation with at least 15 suburban police officers and TBI agents highlight their agreement that the 2nd Amendment doesn't discriminate between your home and a restaurant.

• The anti-gun crowd kept conjuring up images of the 'Wild West' but it becomes obvious that they don't realize that the 'Wild West' we know from television and movies was a complete embellishment. People weren't shooting each other in the streets (or in the bar for that matter) yet almost all of them had guns.

• Those of us FOR the passage of this bill want it for the sake of us and our family at the O'Charley's, TGI Friday's, J. Alexanders, Olive Garden not for the sake of a night out on the town at the Outer Limits.

Basically what I'm saying is that we may have lost this 'battle' but the argument is pretty clear in our favor and with a little persistence we can push this thing over the edge and stand up for our rights.

Join the TFLAC, Call and email your Rep's, Senators and let the Governors office know what a mistake this was. Join the NRA.

Your facts are worthless without the bill becoming law.

Guest putmanphoto
Nikki- I am deeply sorry for you I know what this meant to you and for you. I hope and believe that the legislature will do the right thing and hopefully send a message back to the govenor for this spineless veto. Don't give up yet. Take care and try to have a good weekend.

Nikki - +1 - You were the first person I thought of, when I read the outcome....

Yes - keep your head high -

not suprised one bit.

All this effects for me is I have cancelled plans to eat out Monday night. No biggie anyway.

Three little words, concealed is concealed.

no doubt the parks bill will be kaboshed too.