Governor Phil Bredesen Vetoes HB0962 (Restaurant Carry Bill)

Guest ColdEspresso

Guest HexHead
If they don't pass it, we will need to find or make very realistic plastic (toy) or model guns & open carry into restaurants.. (Holstered of course.) :wave:

Those blue training pistols would be perfect. :)

Probably good to have anyway.

Maybe TGO can put together a group buy through one of the vendors?

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I got a little long winded. I hope it isn't too long to be effective :rofl:

Sent: Friday, May 29, 2009 8:22 AM

To: 'susan.lynn@charter.net'; 'sen.mae.beavers@capitol.tn.gov'

Cc: 'sen.doug.jackson@capitol.tn.gov'; 'sen.jim.kyle@capitol.tn.gov'; 'sen.mark.norris@capitol.tn.gov'; 'sen.diane.black@capitol.tn.gov'; 'sen.roy.herron@capitol.tn.gov'; 'speaker.kent.williams@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.jason.mumpower@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.gary.odom@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.glen.casada@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.lois.deberry@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.john.litz@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.mike.turner@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.henry.fincher@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.sherry.jones@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.larry.turner@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.dennis.ferguson@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.mark.maddox@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.gerald.mccormick@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.kevin.brooks@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.debra.maggart@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.jon.lundberg@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.barrett.rich@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.judd.matheny@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.joey.hensley@capitol.tn.gov'

Subject: HB 0962

Representative Lynn and Senator Beavers,

I think I know where you both stand on this issue but wanted to reinforce what I believe is your stance on this bill. Please do all you can to be sure that the Governors Veto of HB 0962 is overturned in both the House and Senate As Soon As Possible. I appreciate both of you immensely as you are truly acting as elected officials should by voting per the will of the people. Unfortunately, there are many of your fellow Representatives and Senators that believe they know better than the people who elected them. They forget that their only duty is to be the voice of the people, for the people. Our Governor is obviously guilty of this as he has demonstrated by this veto and apparently is arrogant enough to believe he knows best.

Other Representatives and Senators copied in this email,

First and foremost, I am a law abiding resident of the Great state of Tennessee who has had a valid Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit for many years. I have never broken any laws other than the typical driving infractions normal for a man in his mid 40's. Thankfully, I have never had to use my handgun to defend myself or others at any point during this time and I pray that I will never have to. I do however carry my handgun with me at all times, except when going into a restaurant for lunch or dinner that serves Alcohol, even though I do not partake in having a "drink". During these times, I am forced by my own conventions to follow the law and leave my weapon in my locked vehicle. This act in itself increases the potential for crime in our great state. Not from the perspective that I do not have the weapon on my person so I could defend myself and family God forbid the need arose, but by the simple fact that my weapon is now in my vehicle and susceptible to theft by a criminal who would do God only knows with it. As any responsible gun owner should, I keep my weapons, both handguns and rifles locked up in a safe in my home when not in use. This is certainly much more secure than any automobile.

It amazes me at the misinformation out there about "Guns and Alcohol don't mix." Well of course they don't, It is nothing short of political rhetoric. That is precisely what HB 0962 bill states. A TN Handgun Carry Permit Holder cannot consume alcohol under this bill. I constantly hear "Who will enforce this?" My answer, the same people who enforce that guns aren't allowed in restaurants that serve alcohol now. Who is protecting me and my family at the present as we sit in Olive Garden? It is currently against the law so only criminals are currently being served while carrying a gun in restaurants where alcohol is served. Is there anyone out there truly naive enough to believe it isn't happening right now? That is exactly what scares me and should you as well. I would venture to say that the person who is knowingly breaking the law now could care less about obtaining a Handgun Carry Permit in the first place, even if they could. After all, if they are going to break the law, why go through the expense, background check and Handgun Safety Course? I, as well as allot of fellow Tennesseans, are simply asking our legislators to level the playing field. Like many others, I refuse to disarm myself and allow only the criminals to have firearms. I have pondered this issue for many years and have come to the conclusion that the only solution to gun control is to control who has them and who doesn't simply by enforcing the laws currently in place. I assure you, it would be less costly and much more effective if our legislators would spend their time looking for better ways to enforce these laws and to punish those who break them rather than to try and dream up new ways to hinder those that will not break the law. As a prime example, we as a society have not been effective at ridding our schools or our streets of drugs, so why are some so naive to think that by taking guns from law abiding citizens it will somehow lesson gun crimes?

Whether you agree with the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States or not, this is not the issue at hand. We can all agree to disagree on the issue of gun control. However, you and/or your predecessors have voted to allow Law Abiding Citizens of this great state to apply and receive Handgun Carry Permits without all of the rhetoric of the time about "Wild West Shoot outs" and such ever materializing. This bill just corrects what I believe was an error on the original bill by creating so called gun free zones in our everyday lives. If you trust someone with a loaded gun, shouldn't you be able to trust them to show constraint in a restaurant that serves alcohol?

People seem to forget that TN HCP holders have been carrying loaded handguns into restaurants such as Cracker Barrel, Panera Bread, Chick Fill-A, Jason's Deli, Subway, McDonalds, Taco Bell etc. for many years now without incident. Since 2000, we have even been carrying loaded handguns into Liquor Stores, Grocery Stores and Convenient Stores that sell alcohol and apparently TN HCP holders have shown constraint and not shot up the places. I ask you what is the difference? Why all of the sudden would HCP holders start to drink in Chili's because they are allowed to carry in there now? I honestly do not believe this to be the case. Remember that we TN HCP Holders are law abiding citizens. We cannot have so much as a misdemeanor on our record in order to obtain this HCP, nor can we have a DUI. It's a shame that these guidelines do not hold true for our elected officials. Please do not continue to punish us while trying aimlessly to restrict criminals as in fact all it does is give them the upper hand. Criminals could care less what laws you pass.

Please vote the obvious will of the people and override the Governors Veto of HB 0962.

Your loyal constituent and fellow Tennessean,

David D

xxx xxx xx

xxxxxxxx, TN xxxxx

VERY GOOD DavidD!!! :usa:

Possibly a little long but hopefully effective.

It bugs me how they have to spin it by saying "Should we be allowed to 'Pack Heat' in bars". Makes us gound like gangsters. Thay can just say "carry a firearm into places that server alcohol".

Can you say "Truth in reporting"?

I thought the same thing as I read it. I'm so tired of these worthless "reporters" trying to spin things to represent what they want.

Of course, they didn't get the desired response from this poll! :rofl:

all i can say is everyone needs to stop posting for a bit and start emailing their reps and sen's telling them how disappointing this is... and they need to strike this veto down with an OVERWHELMING majority.

If you want them to hear your voice your going to have to start making some noise with pen, phone, and keyboard

Do it NOW!!!

Thanks for the push! Just emailed Rep. Maggart and Sen. Black:

"Rep. Maggart,

I am a registered and active voter. I urge you to act in overriding Governor Bredesen’s veto of HB0962/SB1127 that would allow handgun carry permit holders to carry into restaurants that serve alcohol.

As you probably already know forty other states already have similar laws. These states have not had problems with violence from allowing carrying into such businesses, and neither will we in Tennessee.

I am not a permit holder but have applied for one nearly two months ago. Hopefully I’ll receive it soon in the mail. Further, I am a peaceful, law-abiding person. I seldom drink alcohol and will NEVER consume it while carrying. I only wish to defend myself and my family. My handgun is like an insurance policy: I don’t want to go anywhere without it but I hope I never have to use it.

Thank you for the service you provide the public.

Sincerely,

****"

e-mails sent:

I am very disappointed in Governor Bredesen's veto of the "Guns in Restaurants" bill. He apparently prefers to dine only with criminals and unarmed victims.

I ask that you please vote to override the veto, as public safety demands it.

My e-mail to the governor's office was more to the point:
I am very disappointed in your veto of the "Guns in Restaurants" bill. You apparently prefer to dine only with criminals and unarmed victims. Of course you are protected by armed THP officers, who are under no obligation to protect the rest of us.
Guest Todd@CIS
No disrespect to any of the LEOs on this board....but I guess that just shows the guys with the badges and guns have more pull than we do.

No disrespect taken. Many police chiefs and Sheriffs are nothing but political animals with an anti-gun bent...Serpas being in the lead.

There just happened to be an International Association of Chiefs of Police conference in Nashville the day of the press release. That's where all the uniforms came from.

I'm proud to say that my Chief had nothing to do with this (he was at the conference) and is pro-gun rights.

Guest HexHead

Hmm, some guy posted this in the Tennessean....

gthomas wrote:

I contacted Senator Jackson and he replied that he would be introducing a veto override on the bill -today. After hearing the gov's comments he feels that he is wrong. Since he was the sponsor that is good. Hopefully, the matter will be settled next week. The bill is supported by the majority of Tennesseans and the many states that have restaurant carry have not been nor will they ever be dealing with issues!

That differs from what's been said on here regarding Jackson. I wonder what the deal really is?

No disrespect taken. Many police chiefs and Sheriffs are nothing but political animals with an anti-gun bent...Serpas being in the lead.

I'm proud to say that my Chief had nothing to do with this (he was at the conference) and is pro-gun rights.

Thanks goodness some of the Chiefs of Police are pro-gun; many simply are not.

LEROY

Guest Doc44

Maybe some of the "not so pro gun" chiefs would like to show up at an IDPA match to get to know some of the shooters/carriers. Would be good PR for all. Of course school patrol boy Serpas and some other LEO may get their feelings hurt with the results of the match.... but that could be eye openning too.

:rofl:

Doc44

Hmm, some guy posted this in the Tennessean....

That differs from what's been said on here regarding Jackson. I wonder what the deal really is?

That's not what Sen. Jackson told me this morning in an email. I'll stand by that. There's no telling who the guy is that posted that in the Tennessean.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Can someone verify what will happen after the veto override? Does the Governor get a chance to veto again or is he out of the mix at this point?

tell me that wasn't a planned event...........to veto the bill the same day all the LEOs were in town.

And on the night all the Legislators had convened for the weekend, prior to the day (Monday) in which the bill went into effect. Oh yea, it was definately planned. Bredeson is an idiot but he'd not stupid.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Excellent. I had heard somewhere that he would could veto up to 3 times on a bill and continue to cause a delay. If he is done, then I still have hope for this bill passing and assume he was just making a political statement for some later career move in Washington. HaHaHa - Fat Chance Phil!!!!!!!!!!

I got this response from Mike Faulk today...:D

"Dear Mr. *******,

Thank you for taking the time to write me and voice your concerns about

Governor Bredesen's veto of the "Guns in Restaurant's bill." You can

count on my vote to override the Governor's veto!"

Sincerely,

Mike Faulk

Senate District 4 - Representing Claiborne, Grainger, Hancock,

Hawkins, Jefferson & Union Counties

11A Legislative Plaza

Nashville, TN 37243-0204 "

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I couldn't resist, I had to send Bredesen an email. I know he will never see it, but I had to get it off my chest.

Governor Bredesen

Regarding HB0962

I don't think I have been this confused and disappointed by a government official’s decision in a long time. It is overwhelmingly obvious, based on numerous online polls by the various news agencies in Tennessee, that the law abiding people of TN want this bill to pass.

Your decision to veto this bill because “guns and alcohol don’t mix” and because "it is a safety issue" was completely disingenuous and ignorant of the facts.

Over 30 other states allow carry permit holders to dine in restaurants that serve alcohol and if you would have taken just a few moments of time to speak with the Governors of those other states instead of the restaurant owners association and the law firms that represent them, you would find that there have been very few incidents involving legally carried firearms in restaurants.

By vetoing this bill you have implied that handgun carry permit holders in Tennessee are just as irresponsible and untrustworthy as a common criminal and that offends me deeply. You have implied that we simply can’t be trusted to be in close proximity to alcohol while carrying a firearm and still maintain ourselves are responsible adults.

I find it highly hypocritical that you don’t have a problem with Tennessee residents driving a vehicle to a bar for the express purpose of consuming alcohol and then after consuming a self regulated amount of alcohol, operating that same 3000 pound weapon on our city streets.

Governor Bredesen, you are an embarrassment to our state, to our country and to the Constitution of the United States. It appears that you are only interested in your own political advancement and the agendas of those that send you campaign contributions and I have lost all respect for you.

I couldn't resist, I had to send Bredesen an email. I know he will never see it, but I had to get it off my chest.

Governor Bredesen

Regarding HB0962

I don't think I have been this confused and disappointed by a government official’s decision in a long time. It is overwhelmingly obvious, based on numerous online polls by the various news agencies in Tennessee, that the law abiding people of TN want this bill to pass.

Your decision to veto this bill because “guns and alcohol don’t mix†and because "it is a safety issue" was completely disingenuous and ignorant of the facts.

Over 30 other states allow carry permit holders to dine in restaurants that serve alcohol and if you would have taken just a few moments of time to speak with the Governors of those other states instead of the restaurant owners association and the law firms that represent them, you would find that there have been very few incidents involving legally carried firearms in restaurants.

By vetoing this bill you have implied that handgun carry permit holders in Tennessee are just as irresponsible and untrustworthy as a common criminal and that offends me deeply. You have implied that we simply can’t be trusted to be in close proximity to alcohol while carrying a firearm and still maintain ourselves are responsible adults.

I find it highly hypocritical that you don’t have a problem with Tennessee residents driving a vehicle to a bar for the express purpose of consuming alcohol and then after consuming a self regulated amount of alcohol, operating that same 3000 pound weapon on our city streets.

Governor Bredesen, you are an embarrassment to our state, to our country and to the Constitution of the United States. It appears that you are only interested in your own political advancement and the agendas of those that send you campaign contributions and I have lost all respect for you.

I sure wish that he would see it!