Governor Phil Bredesen Vetoes HB0962 (Restaurant Carry Bill)

Guest ColdEspresso

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SomeGuy

Hex, Lamar isn't up for re-election for a while. Even then, Bredeson is no shoe in, not anymore. Before he stood a chance. Even Harold Ford started talking very pro-gun when he ran. No, he is through in Tennessee.

Fall, it passed with much more, the closer vote was on concurring with the Senate.

Bredesen: "I certainly understand there's a great potential, probably the likelihood of an override for this."

Sounds like he expects it to be overriden.....and he was just making his point a.k.a political statement.

Some point....:D

Guest HexHead
Bredesen says majority of communication he received was in favor of signing the bill #gunsinbars

2 minutes ago from web

Glad to see the ******* is listening to his constituents.

I can't believe Bredesen chose this route. I can't believe after all the calls, after all the support, after all those votes in the house & senate in favor of good citizens who have been properly trained to carry for self defense.....HE VETOES IT. The people spoke through their representatives and he does not care. I sent him at least three emails and called twice. I asked one of his staff to put my letter directly in his hand. It really is ALL ABOUT POLITICS. He cares more about Democrats votes than innocent lives apparently. This is ridiculous. I guess the news will finally run what they taped of me last week starting tonight and through the weekend to counter what Bredesen just did. I hope to God there are enough votes in the senate to turn over his veto. I am so dissapointed. So so dissapointed.

Gov. Bredesen Vetoes Gun Bill - Nashville News Story - WSMV Nashville

Nikki Goeser

Edited by ngoeser59
Glad to see the ******* is listening to his constituents.

No disrespect to any of the LEOs on this board....but I guess that just shows the guys with the badges and guns have more pull than we do.

Also that the idea of a "nanny state" is alive and well in TN. The government knows what is better for us than we do.......

• Administrator
Sounds like he expects it to be overriden.....and he was just making his point a.k.a political statement.

Some point....:D

Bredesen is the consummate politician to the bitter end. Douchebaggery at it's finest! :down:

Guest HexHead
No disrespect to any of the LEOs on this board....but I guess that just shows the guys with the badges and guns have more pull than we do.

Also that the idea of a "nanny state" is alive and well in TN. The government knows what is better for us than we do.......

The Chiefs don't give a **** what the street cops think. Every bill that's ever been rolled out by the Brady's, VPI, Handgun Control and every other anti-gun organization is ALWAYS endorsed by the Police Chiefs Assoc. They think that ONLY cops should be armed. Period. End of story.

Payback's a bitch though.

Guest jos2f
The twiddling of thumbs for 10 days was my expectation.

Guess enough money under the table can motivate a man to stop twiddling his thumbs :D

Guest HexHead

Well, somebody's got to be the first to bring this up. I wonder if he would have signed it with the curfew and age restriction to try and delineate a true restaurant from a bar?

Well, somebody's got to be the first to bring this up. I wonder if he would have signed it with the curfew and age restriction to try and delineate a true restaurant from a bar?

Good question, but my feeling is he would still have vetoed it.

For whatever reason this bill just got a whole lot of media attention, even on the national level.

Guest Glknknox

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT/AP) -- In front of police officers from Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, and smaller departments across the state, Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen vetoed legislation that would have allowed permit holders to take their weapons into establishments that serve alcohol.

"The notion that we would pass a bill, that we would have a bill now that would now permit one to carry a loaded concealed weapon into a crowded bar at midnight on saturday, I think defies common sense," Bredesen told the media at a 4 pm eastern news conference. "I believe we can exercise our second amendment right and common sense at the same time, and that guns and bars, and guns and alcohol simply do not mix."

The measure passed the state House and Senate by large margins. It takes a simple majority in each chamber to override a veto.

The governor cautioned lawmakers, asking that they talk to their local police officers and district attoreys general before voting to override

his veto.

"We've got 14,000 Knox Countians who have handgun permits and we haven't had a bit of trouble out of 'em," State Senator Tim Burchett of Knoxville said. "I think 17 other states have similar legislation to this and they have not had one ounce of trouble out of any law-abiding citizens."

The governor also said he had a letter from restaurant managers asking him to veto the bill.

"Criminals are already carrying guns, whether or not they're supposed to be," Burchett told VolunteerTV.com. "This just allows law abiding citizens their constitutional rights."

Lawmakers decided against a provision imposing an 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew. But they retained an existing ban on consuming alcohol while carrying a handgun.

Edited by TGO David
Guest Smitty

Hopefully the legislature will override it pretty soon and make it law. I expected this to happen, but yeah sooner would have been better like everyone else said. Too much political crap flying around if you ask me...:D

Guest HexHead

For whatever reason this bill just got a whole lot of media attention, even on the national level.

Well, with the anti-gun MSM completely ignoring the restaurant component and just calling it the "guns in bars" bill, are you really surprised?

If the Republicans in this country had the balls the Democrats do, things would be a lot different. Everyone says it will be political suicide for Bredesen to veto this legislation, yet he does it anyway. Can't think of a Republican leader who would go out on a limb like this and stand his/her own ground for what they think is right.

WSMV has a pole up and running on their website, there were two votes in favor of the veto and my one vote against the veto as of 5 minutes ago.