Police chief concerned by firearm group's e-mail

Guest johnnyo

Guest johnnyo

By Erik Schelzig

The Associated Press

Originally published: May 30. 2009 3:01AM

Last modified: May 30. 2009 12:05AM

NASHVILLE — The Tennessee Firearms Association is seeking to publicly identify each law enforcement officer and prosecutor who attended Gov. Phil Bredesen's veto of a bill to allow people with handgun carry permits to take their weapons into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

Nashville Police Chief Ronal Serpas said Friday the move could be seen as an effort to "to chill people's rights to speak their opinion."

John Harris, the Firearms Association's executive director, asked supporters in an e-mail to examine images of Thursday's veto ceremony, and to post on the group's Web site the names and employment details of those who joined Bredesen.

Harris argued that by appearing in uniform at the ceremony, police were trying to give the impression that "somehow their opinion is more important than the opinion of elected legislators."

"These are public officials taking a personal stance on a policy determination by the government," Harris said. "I think they're certainly subject to being identified and having their position clearly recorded in the public record."

Serpas questioned the group's motivations for seeking to identify officers who voluntarily attended the ceremony.

"What would be being said if the police department was sending out messages that we want to know the names, districts and supervisors of people who showed up on a bill opposing what we like?" he said.

The guns in bars measure passed the House on a 66-23 vote and the Senate by a 24-7 margin earlier this month. A simple majority is required in each chamber to override a veto.

Harris said he is trying to make the point that most of those who attended the veto ceremony were appointed rather than elected officials.

"The ones that I can identify aren't sheriffs, and one of the points we make is that sheriffs are elected officials much more sensitive to the rights of citizens than appointed chiefs of police," he said.

Yet among those standing behind the Democratic governor when he signed the veto was Shelby County Sheriff Mark Luttrell.

"I do support the veto, for all the right reasons," the Republican from Tennessee's most populous county told reporters after the event.

"I'm an advocate for gun ownership and I'm a gun owner," he said. "But I do think there's a reason for restrictions."

© 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

scorce: Police chief concerned by firearm group's e-mail

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest johnnyo

Since Sheriff’s positions are “elected” positions, we as voters should know their stance on topics that are so dear to Tennesseans. Oh yes it could change the way we vote in the next Sheriff’s race.

Since Sheriff’s positions are “elected†positions, we as voters should know their stance on topics that are so dear to Tennesseans. Oh yes it could change the way we vote in the next Sheriff’s race.

Amen brother!! Well said!!! It works for mayoral candidates too; we need to know where mayors stand on second amendment issues as well. They appoint Chiefs of Police.

Keep up the good work,

LEROY

I guess ole Mr. Serpas didn't realize that free speech applies to everyone and we wouldn't just shut up because he disagreed. I don't find this action any more intimidating than the State keeping the name and address of concealed carry permit holders public information or the CA creating a searchable database from the information.

Maybe the same should be done with these individuals. A searchable database with the name and home address of elected officials that vote or use their influence to violate the constitution and take away/limit our Second Amendment rights.

Guest HexHead
Amen brother!! Well said!!! It works for mayoral candidates too; we need to know where mayors stand on second amendment issues as well. They appoint Chiefs of Police.

Keep up the good work,

LEROY

Well, considering Dean is a member of NYC Mayor Bloomberg's "Mayors against Guns" group, I think it's a given he's a complete POS.

Too bad. When you stick you mug on camera...deal with becoming famous.

They need to be pointed out and held accountable for their (in)actions.

Hell, if everything goes as planned serpas is going to have to sign off on my SBR paperwork next week. His face on TV (and a good deal on a piston upper) was the push I needed to get my SBR in the works

Guest Todd@CIS
My agency would have a conniption fit if a uniformed officer took a public political stand.

Good point. My current agency would, too.

As a matter of fact, when I worked for Metro Nashville PD, I believe they had a policy against it as well.

It is a widely held opinion with my MNPD brothers that the most dangerous place to be is between Serpas and a TV camera...

I applaud the efforts of those trying to ID all of the "chiefs" that stood by Bredesen.

Edited by Todd@CIS

This was posted at TFA Online:

Glenn Reynolds, a Tennessee law professor in Knoxville, and a widely recognized blogger known as Instapundit comments quite succinctly on the stories involving TFA and Chief Serpas:

GETTING IT BACKWARD:

The Tennessee Firearms Association is seeking to publicly identify each law enforcement officer and prosecutor who attended Gov. Phil Bredesen’s veto of a bill to allow people with handgun carry permits to take their weapons into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

Nashville Police Chief Ronal Serpas said Friday that the move could be seen as an effort to “chill people’s rights to speak their opinion.â€

If government officials do it to citizens, it might be an effort to chill people’s speech. But when citizens do it to government officials, it’s called political accountability.

Instapundit Blog Archive GETTING IT BACKWARD: The Tennessee Firearms Association is seeking to publicly identify each law …

Well said, professor! :rolleyes:

Guest earthworm

When Chief Serpas' comment hit the news I thought "Gee;attempting to identify public servants who appear on TV is "chilling their First Amendment rights" but having uniformed officers at a public rally in riot gear patting down & taking the pics & names of attendees while snipers take positions on nearby buildings is "keeping the peace & enforcing the law".Different when it's your ox ain't it Chiefy?".

he is asking for a data that shows attacks in restorants... somebody needs to ask chief, where is a data that shows that CCW permit holders walk around drunk shooting people....?

Db

In the news today:

"Teen Robbed, Stuffed In Car Trunk"

"Fisherman Finds Human Leg In River"

"Human Skull Found On Gallatin Property"

"Inmates Escaped Using Hacksaw Blade"

...it seems like instead to pose in front of the TV cameras, our chief Serpas should start doing his job...?

Db