I've been told my numerous people and the TN DOS that my original HCP and receipt of renewal will be sufficient enough to allow legal carry until my official renewal license arrives.

While looking at the State DOS site regarding renewals, this does not appear to be the case. The wording refers to expired... Does that mean expired by date of expiration on the HCP or expired as in six months from HCP expiration? It just does not seem clear to me.

This is important because I'm one month past HCP expiration, but still five months from the six month "do it all over again" expiration.

Does anyone have any insight or experience with this that could shed some light?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told my numerous people and the TN DOS that my original HCP and receipt of renewal will be sufficient enough to allow legal carry until my official renewal license arrives.

While looking at the State DOS site regarding renewals, this does not appear to be the case. The wording refers to expired... Does that mean expired by date of expiration on the HCP or expired as in six months from HCP expiration? It just does not seem clear to me.

This is important because I'm one month past HCP expiration, but still five months from the six month "do it all over again" expiration.

Does anyone have any insight or experience with this that could shed some light?

If I understand correctly, you renewed AFTER your expiration date, yes?

If so, you really aren't legal to carry until you get your new permit. As long as you renew BEFORE your expiration date, then what she told you is correct, receipt and old permit are fine.

The six months AFTER expiration thing is that if you don't do it in that time period, you have to start over (taking the course, etc).

But ya know what, I'll bet if you're ever asked for it by LEO, there's a good chance they wouldn't notice. ( I could be wrong and it may not be worth the risk, especially should the worst happen you had to USE your piece).

- OS

^^^^

The above is a logical response that make perfect sense.

All information supplied is in accordance with someone who has a brain and knows how to use it.

If you prefer to not pay attention or use the information improperly, then may God have mercy on your soul. :D

Guest bkelm18

Correct. If you send in your renewal application after your expiration date but before the end of your 6 month window of opportunity, you cannot carry until you get your new permit. In the future, you are allowed to apply for your renewal up to 6 months before your expiration date. Also if you apply before your expiration date, your receipt will act as your HCP until you get the new one, even if your current one expires.

If you renew before the expiration date on your HCP, then you can still legally carry even after that date so long as you have the receipt showing where you renewed before that date.

The others are correct, if you renew after that date, then you can not legally carry until the new permit arrives.

• 2 years later...

Along with the receipt you need the HCP itself correct? A friend renewed his license last year at the DOS and they took his license, which was still active, and told him the receipt would serve as his HCP, but I think that is wrong. Possibly someone at the DOS wasn't well versed in how it works?

When I renewed mine, they also took my soon-to-expire HCP and gave me a receipt to use as my only proof of permit.

See, thats what Im talking about. It has been brought up here before and the consensus was that you need that HCP to be official. But many people now seem to have had theirs taken. It makes no sense to have to surrender a perfectly good HCP for a receipt. Seems like it could create confusion if youre stopped and only have a receipt. What if the carbons dont clearly show a date? Seems to me that surrendering your valid HCP before it's expired is just the wrong thing to do. But it seems some places do it that way. Any of the more experienced people here want to chime in? Whats up with this?

I wonder if different DMV's have different interpretation of the renewal procedure. I do agree that I doesn't make much sense to surrender a valid permit.

It's absolutely incorrect for the DMV to take permit.

TCA clearly states that actual HCP and receipt must be carried.

"In the event the permit expires prior to the department's approval or issuance of notice of denial regarding the renewal application, the permit holder shall be entitled to continue to use the expired permit; provided, however, that the permit holder shall also be required to prove by displaying a receipt for the renewal application fee that the renewal application was delivered to the department prior to the expiration date of the permit."

- OS

- OS

I

"In the event the permit expires prior to the department's approval or issuance of notice of denial regarding the renewal application, the permit holder shall be entitled to continue to use the expired permit; provided, however, that the permit holder shall also be required to prove by displaying a receipt for the renewal application fee that the renewal application was delivered to the department prior to the expiration date of the permit."

That is good info to have for next time. Thanks OS!

OS is right. Some workers at some DL stations don't know 100% know how HCPs work. They forget they are different than DLs. Just like you can't have more than one DL, but you can have more than on HCP.

Thankfully that has never been a problem when I renewed, but when/if it ever happens, I will make them get someone on the phone that can tell them the correct procedure. Because the LEO you meet up with down the line may not care what the DOS did to you and go by the law.

It's absolutely incorrect for the DMV to take permit.

TCA clearly states that actual HCP and receipt must be carried.

Which section of the TCA is this from, so I can refer to it if it happens to me?

ok, I now have a question about renewal. I am trying to do with out hijacking the op threat and with out starting a new thread.

We are relocating from Nevada, TN will accept the NV permit and just process us as a renewal. So when we go to ??? to apply for a "renewal" with our NV permits will they try to take it? It is NOT expired and I want to keep my NV permit!

ok, I now have a question about renewal. I am trying to do with out hijacking the op threat and with out starting a new thread.

We are relocating from Nevada, TN will accept the NV permit and just process us as a renewal. So when we go to ??? to apply for a "renewal" with our NV permits will they try to take it? It is NOT expired and I want to keep my NV permit!

They shouldn't take it. If they try don't let them. Remind them you need it along with the receipt to carry until your TN HCP arrives.

They shouldn't take it. If they try don't let them. Remind them you need it along with the receipt to carry until your TN HCP arrives.

Echo that.

Matter of fact, under TN law, you aren't required to actually get a TN permit until you've been a resident for 6 months, so your Nevada permit would be sufficient for that long after moving here, assuming it didn't expire.

So, and it won't happen unless you happen to get a know-nothing clerk, do NOT let them take your Nevada permit. Should they try, insist on seeing the supervisor.

- OS

Some of you must enjoy standing in lines at DL stations more than I do.

I went by the Chattanooga DL to renew last year, was told to take a number. I saw a couple I know in the waiting area who told me they had been waiting over an hour.

I left, went home, affixed a .44 stamp to a .05 envelope and dropped it in the mail.

About 8 or 10 days later the postperson delivered my new HCP.

p.s. I did renew about a month before expiration date.

p.p.s. The Chattanooga DL station is legendary for slow and poor service.

Don't like lines....I mainly do it in person to be able to leave with the receipt required to still carry if your HCP expires before new one arrives. I don't think they always mailed receipts like they do know. Also...I'm lucky enough to be able to go to DL stations that I can walk into and basically be the only person there....

If you are in West TN I would NOT recommend going to Jackson, not only slow, but have heard stories of the them discouraging or trying to make it hard to renew HCPs.