Permit Renewal?

Guest stovepipe

I renewed my permit last week at the DMV. First, the lady said I could keep my permit because nothing changed. When I told her yes it did, my address was different, she said I had to surrender it and use the receipt as my permit. Also, they made me take a new picture even though I just renewed my DL in October with a new picture. There was a sign that said everyone must take a new photo when renewing any kind of ID.

I say all this because I went back today to get my wife a renewal form and the lady said I couldn't mail it in. I asked why, she said she has to come back in for a picture. I think she is wrong and I will be calling TDOS tommorrow to verify.

If she is right I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the REAL ID Act or not. I saw some news reports where some states were not allowing you to smile because the facial recognition software couldn't process your photo if you did.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I asked for a renewal by mail form and this is what I got:

Cherokee Slim

I'll send it to you! Also, you no longer need to submit proof of US Citizenship with your renewal anymore. So just the application and $50.00 is all you need to submit.

Sarah Simpson

Handgun Permit Office

1150 Foster Ave.

Nashville, TN 37249

phone: (615) 251-8592

fax: (615) 532-3056

sarah.jean.simpson@state.tn.us

My renewal application has been in for a little over a month. Thought I'd give them a call to check on status. VERY nice lady answered the phone. She told me that June's b/g checks probably won't run until September for renewals. She said the initial permits apps run quicker because they run the fingerprints. She said the renewals use in house b/g checks through TBI and she said they have been overwhelmed and are way behind.

Heck of a way to run a railroad, but I also work for the State, and I know they typically decrease the number of employees and expect the remaining staff to be able to handle the workload. Frankly, I'm surprised that the staff there are so nice, lol. I can only imagine the workload and pressure they are under right now. Still, I'm the kind that will fret and worry until I get my renewal in the mail, lol.

My renewal application has been in for a little over a month. Thought I'd give them a call to check on status. VERY nice lady answered the phone. She told me that June's b/g checks probably won't run until September for renewals. She said the initial permits apps run quicker because they run the fingerprints. She said the renewals use in house b/g checks through TBI and she said they have been overwhelmed and are way behind.

Heck of a way to run a railroad, but I also work for the State, and I know they typically decrease the number of employees and expect the remaining staff to be able to handle the workload. Frankly, I'm surprised that the staff there are so nice, lol. I can only imagine the workload and pressure they are under right now. Still, I'm the kind that will fret and worry until I get my renewal in the mail, lol.

Makes a bit of sense.

As we know there is a 90 day legal limit on the issue of a new permit...no such time limit on renewals. Also you are still legal to carry as long as you have proof you submitted your renewal before your expiration date.

Still can't see why that can't take a bit more of the $115/$50 and hire more people and update equipment.

when i applied for mine in late 06, i had to show DL, SS Card and the birth certificate and i think 2 pieces of mail that were no older than 30 days. dont quote me on the mail, that might have been for a handgun purchase. i really dont remember exactly.

You do have to show more for the initial application (establish age and residency), but not for a renewal.