Anyone know anything about Ruger high power rifles?

Guest GlocKingTN

Guest GlocKingTN

Where I picked my Glock up today has alot of Ruger High Power frifles, say for deer hunting! No scope, bolt action, synthetic finish with Stainless barrel. He had them in .338, 7mm, 270, and a few more! Whats a good price for these?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GlocKingTN
I hunt with a ruger model 77 in 30-06. It's a great gun. The action isn't as smooth as my Remington 700 though.

Im thinking that was the same model of these! But he had them in different caliber's! He told me $550 OTD for any caliber I choose! That a good price?

I have a real problem with Ruger since old Bill helped try to stop the importation of firearms back in the 80’s. After he did that I sold both of the rugers I had and have never got another one.

I better stop now are this will go on for 6 pages.

Guest Mugster

I own a mini-14, but have never bought a ruger bolt. Personally, I'd stick with savage or remington (or a custom maker) in a bolt. I think you have a better chance of getting a good shooter. A 4" 5 shot group at 100 yards is all you need to hunt deer though, and even a bad shooting ruger can usually get that done. So if you get a good price on a .243 or something and cash is short, then yeah, maybe a ruger bolt will work for what you want to do.

My mini will cut an honest 2.5" 5 shot group at 100 yards with good ammo. It shoots about 4-5" using 5.56 spec m193 ball (Q3131).

Guest Mugster

For around these here parts, most of your shots are going to be pretty short...and the deer are pretty small. Occasionally i'll break out a 26" heavy barrel in 7mm rem mag on a ground blind, but its not often. Check out these in 7mm-08 or .243. Look for a really good 2-7x scope. That accutrigger is fully adjustible btw, and its really nice.

http://www.savagearms.com/11f.htm

Guest Mugster

Well, a 7mm-08 is a necked down .308 case with a 7mm bullet in it. Its got plenty of punch and some amount of recoil. The .243 might be a better choice in a 6.5 pound rig or a 6mm if you can find it. Little less recoil. They are all about the same expense to shoot, imo.

Its legal now in tennessee to use a .22 centerfire for deer. A nosler 60gr partition .22 bullet will get it done, and you have no recoil issue. You'd need to place your shot pretty well though.