TFA is not registered to lobby?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised that TFA doesn't pay the $190 fee.

This is just a case of the out of control media retaliating for TFA's request to members to identify the officers that were standing with Gov. POS Bredesen when he vetoed HB962

Guest David Waldrip

"His registration status came to a surprise to several lawmakers."

And they're not the only ones.

My gosh.

-David

Well...that is interesting...

But also can't help to think that the digging into this and publishing it comes from the TFA's efforts to find out who the LEOs where at the veto and the overall anti- mentality of the media.

But....just another reason to have all your water foul in a linear posistion. (Ducks in a row)

• Administrator

I'm reluctant to touch this one with a ten foot pole considering some of the animosity that has been drifting our way from TFA lately. This is definitely a journalistic jab back at the TFA for their harassment of Ronal Serpas.

But I will say that the late Marswolf had always called to question whether or not TFA was completely on the level in respect to some of what they tout themselves to be; i.e. a lobbying organization. In fact, one of his most frequent demands was something that the newspaper article alluded to in regard to having to divulge their financials were they to be registered as a lobbying group. I wonder if Marswolf is having his last laugh here.

Really this doesn't change much for me. When people ask me what Pro-2A group they should join, I tell them the NRA. They have a paid, registered lobbyist assigned to Tennessee.

If anyone wants to look, this thread is running at TFA Online, titled "What Is a Lobbyist":

Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - What is a lobbyist?

If John Harris is correct (IANAL, but he is), his activities for TFA do not fall under the requirement to register as a lobbyist in Tennessee.

I am both an NRA member and a TFA member. By all means, join one or the other, or both, or neither (but if neither, then please join SAF, GOA, JPFO, or whichever other one fits your needs). :stunned:

All im going to add is Im a member of both TFA/NRA.... and a member/vendor/benefactor here at TGO. All are very important pieces of our Tennessee 2nd amendment puzzle. I dont ever recall seeing or hearing from SAF, GOA, and JPFO unless its a news bulletin talking about a something NRA/TFA/TGO hasnt already addressed and started to find a solution for... at least here in Tn. The thing we need to remember is were all on the same team.

The NRA has their place on the national level, but they havent done squat in Tennessee. Actually the old NRA lobbyist was one of the reasons our former speaker had a burr in his saddle for gun bills. They didnt like each other at all. I can honestly say NRA hasnt done nothing compared to TFA/TGO in Tennessee.

In his defense... and Im being honest... if we didnt have John Harris, we wouldnt have the "privileges" of carrying handguns in Tn now... much less any of these bills that have passed this session. But, even if they wont admit it, if TFA didnt have friends like TGO that could get our 2nd amendment message out we wouldnt have the success weve had either. Theres lots of people that read this forum for information of what they need to do in contacting their legislature... with the proper information. Those people feel like part of a family and they contribute to our 2nd amendment cause. Think about how many of us made numerous phone calls and emails?

I do wish the animosity from certain TFA members would stop, they need to realize were all on the same team as well.

About the registered lobbyist thing. Im sure John has his reasons... he's been doing this sort of thing for many many years.

Edited by GLOCKMEISTER
Guest SomeGuy

What animosity from the TFA? I have seen two people post about that, yet I don't know of a single TFA member who holds anything against TGO. Conversely, I see quite a few TGO posters periodically attack the TFA.

As far as the NRA's lobbyist, she is part-time, and doesn't cover just TN, nor does she know TN all that well in the first place. Ever notice how rare a decen timely NRA e-mail alert is?

Lastly, I find the thing mildly humorous. Anyone who bothered to ask/look knew. I have known for a long time, frankly, I thought everyone knew. Like Volz noted, the media is trying to make a TFA scandal, we have been very effective this year.

I think its a witch hunt , John Harris is doing a great job for Tennessee gun owners for no pay. for the life of me I dont understand why isn't all the TGO members TFA member also. Harris is working for all Tennessee gun owners. What's the problem? some of you folk's need to remove your heads from your third piont of contact . We have a real chance to change some things here in Tennessee now . get with the program guys .

Edited by Rock.45
Guest cjames38464
All im going to add is Im a member of both TFA/NRA.... and a member/vendor/benefactor here at TGO. All are very important pieces of our Tennessee 2nd amendment puzzle. I dont ever recall seeing or hearing from SAF, GOA, and JPFO unless its a news bulletin talking about a something NRA/TFA/TGO hasnt already addressed and started to find a solution for... at least here in Tn. The thing we need to remember is were all on the same team.

The NRA has their place on the national level, but they havent done squat in Tennessee. Actually the old NRA lobbyist was one of the reasons our former speaker had a burr in his saddle for gun bills. They didnt like each other at all. I can honestly say NRA hasnt done nothing compared to TFA/TGO in Tennessee.

In his defense... and Im being honest... if we didnt have John Harris, we wouldnt have the "privileges" of carrying handguns in Tn now... much less any of these bills that have passed this session. But, even if they wont admit it, if TFA didnt have friends like TGO that could get our 2nd amendment message out we wouldnt have the success weve had either. Theres lots of people that read this forum for information of what they need to do in contacting their legislature... with the proper information. Those people feel like part of a family and they contribute to our 2nd amendment cause. Think about how many of us made numerous phone calls and emails?

I do wish the animosity from certain TFA members would stop, they need to realize were all on the same team as well.

About the registered lobbyist thing. Im sure John has his reasons... he's been doing this sort of thing for many many years.

+++++1000....

We are on the same team pulling for the same goals...Don't judge the whole based a few parts that go bad...:stunned:

• Administrator
What animosity from the TFA? I have seen two people post about that, yet I don't know of a single TFA member who holds anything against TGO. Conversely, I see quite a few TGO posters periodically attack the TFA.

I could dig up several examples if I really have to. I think you're either playing it down or just haven't been paying attention. Do we really want to get into this?

As far as the NRA's lobbyist, she is part-time, and doesn't cover just TN, nor does she know TN all that well in the first place. Ever notice how rare a decen timely NRA e-mail alert is?

This is an issue that I plan on discussing with part of the NRA leadership today actually. Of course, the NRA does not really need to assign a full-time lobbyist to Tennessee anyway. The past year has been one of very few legislative sessions where firearms related law was a hot topic in Nashville. Only during these times does TFA really seem to throw itself out there into the public eye, so only during these times would it likewise be prudent for the NRA to devote more energy to Tennessee also.

Clearly you've got a bias here being the TFA's official web guy, so I don't expect you to agree.

Lastly, I find the thing mildly humorous. Anyone who bothered to ask/look knew. I have known for a long time, frankly, I thought everyone knew. Like Volz noted, the media is trying to make a TFA scandal, we have been very effective this year.

Why would everyone have known? Is this something that is fully and prominently disclosed in TFA membership literature or previously on the TFA web site?

Frankly, I can easily see why this is surprising news to a lot of people. TFA advertises itself as a lobbying organization. Who is/are the registered lobbyists then? If it's not John, who are they?

You know, I was shocked. I figured that John was doing the lobbying. It's always been painted that way, and I'm no newbie to the TFA organization. I was courted for your position back when TGO first started growing and John was interested in merging the two together or at least getting me involved in revamping their web site for them.

:stunned:

Personally, I think that the idea of having to register as a lobbyist to express yourself to lawmakers is complete BS.

You don't, if it is just you calling or visiting you elected officials.

It is when you are compensated and or represent a group that you may have to register depending of several factors.

BS by any other name is still BS.

So you don't think those that represent speical interest groups with large amounts of monies available to them to lobby elected officials should have to be registered so we can know who they are?

So you don't think those that represent speical interest groups with large amounts of monies available to them to lobby elected officials should have to be registered so we can know who they are?

Let me clarify my comment. He has stated that he is a volunteer. He is not compensated: therefore, his registration is BS.

Guest HexHead
Well...that is interesting...

But also can't help to think that the digging into this and publishing it comes from the TFA's efforts to find out who the LEOs where at the veto and the overall anti- mentality of the media.

Just like when the liberal media did the full court press to discredit Joe the Plumber when Obama gave him an embarrassing answer. Nothing is beneath a liberal.

Can't we all just get along? The way I view it is like this, TFA,NRA,GOA,TGO, and every other three letter organization out there do their part. If it gets people to make calls, send e-mails, and get involved it's a good cause.

I don't understand why certain people just have to go pissing on shoes. BS macho bravado or little winky syndrome is what comes to mind.

You don't, if it is just you calling or visiting you elected officials.

It is when you are compensated and or represent a group that you may have to register depending of several factors.

It appears you have to receive some type of compensation under TN law to have to registered as a lobbyist... And must receive "reimbursement" to have to register as a "Volunteer Lobbyist"...

According to John, he does not receive any form of compensation or reimbursement from the TFA for the work he does with the legislature. Unless that is untrue it doesn't appear he must register as a lobbyist under TN state law, and why waste the money if you don't have to?

It appears you have to receive some type of compensation under TN law to have to registered as a lobbyist... And must receive "reimbursement" to have to register as a "Volunteer Lobbyist"...

According to John, he does not receive any form of compensation or reimbursement from the TFA for the work he does with the legislature. Unless that is untrue it doesn't appear he must register as a lobbyist under TN state law, and why waste the money if you don't have to?

I agree that John and TFA are apperntly not legally lobbyist.

My point was that it is not BS for lobbyist to have to register if the meet the requirments.

Witch-hunt for sure...

I am a TFA member and was not aware of friction between TGO & TFA. I hope that those issues can be resolved. We as gun owners are all on the same "team", right. I have met Atty. Harris. I have hired him for his services in the past. He is a great person with an infinite knowledge of “firearms lawâ€. I consider John a very valuable ally to every gun owner in TN not just members of TFA.