What gun stores are in the Johnson City area??

Guest tnvolfan

Guest tnvolfan

My better half and I are going next week to Johnson City to eat at Cootie Brown's for lunch and then to scout the local gun shops -- I love that restaurant (they have GREAT pizza!) , but have never been to any of the gun shops in the area. Can you please make some recommendations?? Thanks!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gun Depot's worth a visit, Tom & Brian have a nice shop up near Elizabethton. Crowder's might be worth some window shopping time... Assuming Tim's not being a dueche 1st class again during his annual summer going out of business sale... Byrd's down in Jonesborough sometimes has some nice stuff to look at.

Mahoney's charges too much for firearms and accessories, plus they've got a non-TCA compliant no-carry sign out front, so I rarely bother to go in there unless I just absolutely have to get something from the fly fishing department for my old man. But they do have a fairly large firearms department to look over.

Mahoney's has the biggest selction but a little pricey and then theres Crowders. Tri Cities Gun Depot and H&S in Elizabethton are worth a 10 min. drive...I too love Cootie Browns we ate there last week..Try the Key Lime Pie..Welcome to J.C.

Guest Hyaloid

I'll second Gun Depot and Byrd's. I haven't been there in a while, but Gunslingers in Kingsport was pretty good too the one time I went in there.

I don't go in Mahoney's anymore if I can help it...

Guest tnmale46
I'll second Gun Depot and Byrd's. I haven't been there in a while, but Gunslingers in Kingsport was pretty good too the one time I went in there.

i dont go to mahoneys either havent in a long time and probably never again
Guest Watauga

I have been to all of them.

Bought guns from some of them.

The Gun Depot is the best gun store.

And, Cooties does have great pizza.

Guest tnmale46

last time i was at mahoneys i was totally ignored i was the only customer and two guys behind counter i had cash and was gonna buy but they didn't even acknowledge i was there

Edited by tnmale46
My better half and I are going next week to Johnson City to eat at Cootie Brown's for lunch and then to scout the local gun shops -- I love that restaurant (they have GREAT pizza!) , but have never been to any of the gun shops in the area. Can you please make some recommendations?? Thanks!

Went by Cooties at 1:03 pm today and it was packed, I could'nt even find a parking place.So go early, I think their closed on Monday's

Thanks

Guest Hyaloid

Jack's City Grill is pretty good too (great avocado dip), I think it's owned by the same folks as Cooties,but don't hold me to that.

Crowder's is *ok* if you have cash in hand and don't require after-purchase customer service.

They do have an employee that's easy on the eyes if nothing else. :up:

Jack's City Grill is pretty good too (great avocado dip), I think it's owned by the same folks as Cooties,but don't hold me to that.

Crowder's is *ok* if you have cash in hand and don't require after-purchase customer service.

They do have an employee that's easy on the eyes if nothing else. :up:

Yes, that cute little blonde who thinks she can shoot skeet. :D

Guest Dean_JC78

I agree, Tri Cities Gun Depot and Byrds are the best.

Worsts are Mahoneys and Crowders. Crowders just finally took down their fake going out of business sign again...

Guest GatorsRule1976
Wouldn't waste my time at Crowder's he's not got enough inside to make the trip worthwhile.

+1

Made 1 trip there, had only about 20 firearms(if that) in stock.

Guest GatorsRule1976

Has anyone been to Monte's Gun Emporium? He's in JC and we're going there tomorrow to check out his selection.

I've had some luck at Sam's Gunshop in Bristol. They're located straight up Hwy 11 frm JC. About 2 miles past Bristol Motor Speedway on the right. Got a great deal on a G19 there and last time I was in he had several flavors of AR.

Guest Dean_JC78

Monte is more of a gun smith. He sells almost at cost but not the best for customer service and if you have any issues he will make you deal with the factory.

...Mahoney's charges too much for firearms...

I'm a little surprised to see all the negative comments about Mahoney's. Maybe it depends on what you're looking for, but in my search for a new 9mm I've found they tend to have prices as good - often better - than anyone else I've been to in the local area. They also have a pretty good selection of guns to chose from.

Am I missing something here?

I'm a little surprised to see all the negative comments about Mahoney's. Maybe it depends on what you're looking for, but in my search for a new 9mm I've found they tend to have prices as good - often better - than anyone else I've been to in the local area. They also have a pretty good selection of guns to chose from.

Am I missing something here?

I just got a Glock 30 there and they were super nice but about $50 higher than everbody else and the only place (in the area)that had one in stock.So I just had to have one, you know how it is..:confused::hyper: