Official Thread for TN House / Senate Override of HB0962 Gubernatorial Veto

Guest HexHead

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some restaurateurs were also opposed to the bill, saying it would hurt business in an already struggling industry. Randy Rayburn, owner of Sunset Grill, posted a sign in his window earlier this week saying “No Guns Ever.â€

That doesn't look like a legal sign to me but I ain't tellin him!:bowrofl:

One Chamber down....One to go! Let's override this Restaurant Carry veto!

It's going to be a GREAT DAY IN TENNESSEE tomorrow! Watch the NRA NEWS tomorrow night to hear me give Governor Bredesen a huge piece of humble pie. I wonder if he prefers Apple or Cherry? The people have spoken through their Representatives and one underhanded Democrat cannot stop "the people" from protecting themselves. Governor Bredesen said after his veto "I hope they will think about it again, and I pray if this happens (an override) there will not be some sort of tragedy in our state." Are you freak'in kidding me Governor? There already has been a tragedy in your state under your current Law. My husband's death! You ignore it, you don't call me back, you don't return my emails, you won't see me. Phil Bredesen is not a concerned or caring person unless it fits his own sorry agenda. To not even acknowledge what happened to my husband Ben Goeser in Jonny's Sports Bar is just....well....cruel. I will make it my mission to support the NRA, support Victims Rights, support anyone who is against this man ever being in Office again. I can't wait to tell the public about this man's indifference.

Guest KevinM
While I don't wish anyone ill will, I also won't ever be eating at The Sunset Grill owned by Mr. Rayburn, where ever it is.

It's in Hillsboro Village and you won't be missing much. It's quite possibly the most overrated eatery in the city....

found this post over on the commercial appeal.

If you can not bring guns into an age restricted venue, those venues that allow smoking will be GUN FREE! Is that correct?

i guess that is true. but every restaurant in tennessee is smokefree anyway so that is a worthless observation as far as i am concerned.

You can carry into age-restricted venues as long as the meet they definition of a restaurant in the bill.

One example would be Road Hawg Saloon - Dyersburg Tn - BIKES-BABES-BEER

They are age restricted and allow smoking, but they serve meals and have a restaurant liquor by the drink license and are open 7 days a week.

Edited by Fallguy
You can carry into age-restricted venues as long as the meet the definition of a restaurant in the bill.

One example would be Road Hawg Saloon - Dyersburg Tn - BIKES-BABES-BEER

They are age restricted and allow smoking, but they serve meals and have a restaurant liquor by the drink license and are open 7 days a week.

Thnaks. I was in the process of looking up the details on that.

Guest Bluemax
Selinium? Isn't that that Mexican singer Jennifer Lopez played in a movie a few years ago? :bowrofl:

Selinium, isn't that what killed Elvis ???

I just went back and watched the entire deal from todays session.

Naifeh is a bigger tool than I thought he was, what a crybaby. And that Hardaway guy from memphis is a idiot, plain and simple. How did he get a job doing this? The guy can't even speak in complete sentences.

Anyway it was interesting to see the whole thing play out today.

Hopefully tomorrow will be the end of it all.

Guest HexHead

If you can not bring guns into an age restricted venue, those venues that allow smoking will be GUN FREE! Is that correct?

i guess that is true. but every restaurant in tennessee is smokefree anyway so that is a worthless observation as far as i am concerned.

Age restriction wasn't in the final bill. That person's logic is well, illogical. :up:

Guest benchpresspower
One Chamber down....One to go! Let's override this Restaurant Carry veto!

It's going to be a GREAT DAY IN TENNESSEE tomorrow! Watch the NRA NEWS tomorrow night to hear me give Governor Bredesen a huge piece of humble pie. I wonder if he prefers Apple or Cherry? The people have spoken through their Representatives and one underhanded Democrat cannot stop "the people" from protecting themselves. Governor Bredesen said after his veto "I hope they will think about it again, and I pray if this happens (an override) there will not be some sort of tragedy in our state." Are you freak'in kidding me Governor? There already has been a tragedy in your state under your current Law. My husband's death! You ignore it, you don't call me back, you don't return my emails, you won't see me. Phil Bredesen is not a concerned or caring person unless it fits his own sorry agenda. To not even acknowledge what happened to my husband Ben Goeser in Jonny's Sports Bar is just....well....cruel. I will make it my mission to support the NRA, support Victims Rights, support anyone who is against this man ever being in Office again. I can't wait to tell the public about this man's indifference.

Amen sista! Ben I am sure is grinning from ear to ear right now.

Guest HexHead
Technically we have to wait until the Speakers of both the Senate and House have to sign it. It could be the 5th (or maybe later) before to becomes law officially.

Delay, delay, delay.

WTF? Williams couldn't sign it today?

:up::D:D:

Edited by HexHead
... And that Hardaway guy from memphis is a idiot, plain and simple. How did he get a job doing this? The guy can't even speak in complete sentences....

Yeah, he mentioned the water quality bill while talking about the veto, said something about "poison moving up the food strain".

I think these jerks should at least be able to pass a high school GED test before taking office.

- OS

I would say it's in the bank now. With the huge margin it passed in the senate previously, if it passed the house today, it'll pass the senate. Also if you'll notice, it passed the house with almost exactly the same vote breakdown as it passed the first time in April.

Yes, it picked up three votes over the vote for the Senate version of the conference report (which was 66-27, IIRC). I'll be curious to see who the three "extra" votes were. Of course, others could have switched their votes back and forth too, but we did pick up three in total.

I think some may have been miffed that Bredesen didn't let Rep. Todd know he was going to veto the bill before he did so; I understand that has been common courtesy in the past. Is this the first time a governor did not do so? I find that hard to believe, but wouldn't it be interesting if it were the first time.... Some others may have been annoyed at what could have been conceived as "grandstanding"--vetoing when he knew there were more than enough votes to override (essentially an "up yours" to the legislature), and especially when he had been elected under a pledge to the NRA (and thus garnering their endorsement) that he would support exactly this legislation if it were presented to him.

Either way, the Governor had better hope that appointment in the Obama administration comes through...I think he may have burned a few too many bridges with this veto here in this state. Tennesseans tend to like for their politicians to "walk the talk." Perhaps someone originally from New Jersey wouldn't know that?

Edited by Falcon1
Guest archerdr1

I just got this email from Rep. Dean. He seems to be a good guy!

Dear Darin,

This afternoon, the house voted to override the Governor's veto of HB962. The vote was overwhelming with a 69 voting to override and 27 voting to sustain the veto. I was among the 69 members voting to override the veto. I take the 2nd Amendment seriously and realize that you do as well. Much mis-information was distributed leading up to this vote and I appreciate you understanding that. I have had constituents threaten me with their votes in the next election and heard all manner of insult regarding my position on this bill. I appreciate your support and look forward to continued service for the people of the 30th district.

Thanks,

Vince

Restaurants which are "age restricted" are not smoke free in TN. But, that part of the bill was removed from the passed bill (soon to be law).