Official Thread for TN House / Senate Override of HB0962 Gubernatorial Veto

Guest HexHead

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest benchpresspower
I sent an email to Sen. Jackson last night about the Metro Council and got this reply

The only problem I see with this is that if they do pass a bill shutting down the loophole it still has to go to the governor's desk and therefore he is very likely to veto that one as well.

Guest Jamie
The only problem I see with this is that if they do pass a bill shutting down the loophole it still has to go to the governor's desk and therefore he is very likely to veto that one as well.

Well if they override enough of his vetos maybe he'll figure out he needs to quit doing it.

Guest Doc44
now i am not currently a HCP and i do not currently carry at any point due to that fact, but i would much rather go into a restaurant knowing there are legal armed citizens there with me that might protect me in the case of a BG than to go into a restaurant when the BG is gonna come in with his weapon regardless.

Today was a great day in TN

..... and the criminals are aware of this also.. a NO GUNS ALLOWED sign posted is a welcome mat to criminals. If you were looking for a place to rob or hold someone up in the parking lot, which would you choose; a place that was POSTED or a place where there could be armed citizens and you don't know which of them may be armed? To me... that is a no brainer.

Doc44

Well if we have to fight another veto then that is just what we will have to do. Leaving the loophole there for every city in the state to take advantage of is a much worse option in my mind.

Guest HexHead

It's too bad we have to wait 40 more days but at least no one can screw us now.

Metro Council is sure trying though. :doh::poop::poop:

Originally Posted by Volzfan viewpost.gif

It's too bad we have to wait 40 more days but at least no one can screw us now.

Metro Council is sure trying though. :doh::poop::poop:
Yeah Hex you are right. I posted that before this news from the council came out.
Guest HexHead
Easy Hex. I could loan you a blood pressure monitor. I beginning to feel concern for your health.

Just being honest my friend. I've decided now is the time to take a stand. I will continue to fight the good fight here. But I'm not going to just roll over and accept the State "granting" me my rights one day, only to have some local liberal yahoo try to take them away the next.

If a bar or restaurant owner posts his establishment out of his personal belief that he doesn't want our business, fine, I can respect that and would just go somewhere else. But if they're all posted due to extortion by the beer board causing them to post under duress, then all bets are off.

Just being honest my friend. I've decided now is the time to take a stand. I will continue to fight the good fight here. But I'm not going to just roll over and accept the State "granting" me my rights one day, only to have some local liberal yahoo try to take them away the next.

If a bar or restaurant owner posts his establishment out of his personal belief that he doesn't want our business, fine, I can respect that and would just go somewhere else. But if they're all posted due to extortion by the beer board causing them to post under duress, then all bets are off.

Here Here :doh:

I think this has officially become the lets boost our post count thread! :poop: I think some of you guys went from 100 to 1000 in 2 days! J/K It is good to see so much enthusiasm over a political issue. If only we could channel this in a unified direction during elections!:doh:

Guest HexHead
we will...

If we all stand together, In the future, the 2nd amendment will be on every polititians mind.

Every TGO member needs to use this link....

Nashville.gov - Metro Council Feedback Form

to let Metro Council know how you feel about their attempt to disregard the new State law. Even if you don't live in Nashville, tell them how it'll effect your travel or vacation plans. They seem to value tourists more than residents these days anyway.

Use the pulldown menu to send to ALL MEMBERS of the Council.

This is important guys, let's preserve the hard won victory of just yesterday.

From what little bit of looking up I've done...here is what I've found.

First TN law on this gives different amounts of authority to Class A counties (Counties with no metro government) and Class B counties (counties with a metro government) Incorporated cities and towns.

It appears that in Class A Counties they can only enact restrictions on beer permits as provided in 57-5-105 as backed up in AG opinion 05-024

However in 57-5-106 Class B counties, Incorporated cities and towns can in addition to the restrictions allowed in 57-5-105 may "impose additional restrictions, fixing zones and territories and provide hours of opening and closing and such other rules and regulations as will promote public health, morals and safety as they may by ordinance provide." In AG opinion 06-082 the AG opined that a city could prohibit anyone convicted of DUI from getting a permit or even working in a place that has a beer permit. However they said that if someone had a ABC (liquor) server permit (issued by the state), they could not prevent them from working in a place with a beer permit. It also goes on to list court cases where many local ordnance were upheld upon challenge and one that wasn't.

However I'm not sure if any of the restrictions upheld could possible be in violation of state preemption law like firearms in 39-17-1314.

With all that said...it would seem that Class B counties, incorporated cities and towns do have wide authority to attach restrictions to beer permits. Whether that includes being able to regulate the possession of firearms, in possible violation of 39-17-1314 is to be determined I guess.

Guest HexHead

With all that said...it would seem that Class B counties, incorporated cities and towns do have wide authority to attach restrictions to beer permits. Whether that includes being able to regulate the possession of firearms, in possible violation of 39-17-1314 is to be determined I guess.

It doesn't appear in the examples cited in the AG's opinion that any of the decisions upheld ran contrary to State law.

In fact, having just an ABC card trumped the beer board having additional employee requirements.

I hope Sen. Jackson is successful in getting the AG after these idiots.

I sent them this:

I am writing you to express my concerns over your response to the veto override of the "guns in bars bill" as it has been called by the liberal media. I have traveled to Nashville in the past for work and when I do I am usually there for 3 days to a week at a time. If you refuse to recognize the law enacted by the state of Tennessee I will be forced to stay outside of Davidson county when I am required to work in the area, that will keep me from breaking your unconstitutional law and still allow me to protect myself while out dining. I hope that you will reconsider your actions and let the will of the people prevail over the liberal hogwash that has been spread in the media.

Just for a fact check, a HCP holder can't, I repeat CAN'T drink while carrying, well they can but will risk loosing their HCP since it is one of the stipulations set out in the law since HCP's began being issued in Tennessee.

There are 36 states that allow a HCP holder to carry and they have no problems, even VA. which Requires open carry in a bar (you can't carry concealed in a bar in VA.) has had no problems.

The fear that a HCP holder is going to shoot up a restaurant is crazy.

Again, I ask that you let the law stand as written and give us law abiding citizens a chance to prove what we have been saying all along, that nothing will happen.

As a final note, I would like to remind you that as a HCP holder I have been eating in restaurants that don't serve alcohol and not one has been shot, most of the time you will not even be able to tell the gun toting people from the not gun toting people.

I am not an eloquent speaker but I tried to get my point across without belittling them.:hat:

It doesn't appear in the examples cited in the AG's opinion that any of the decisions upheld ran contrary to State law.

In fact, having just an ABC card trumped the beer board having additional employee requirements.

I hope Sen. Jackson is successful in getting the AG after these idiots.

I agree..

Also at one point it says that TN Supreme court said, that even though cities, etc... have wide authority to impose restrictions only so long as it is "in good faith and not . . . in a discriminatory and arbitrary manner,"

IMO if they say the will give permits to those that post, but not to those who don't, that is discriminatory.

Guest HexHead

IMO if they say the will give permits to those that post, but not to those who don't, that is discriminatory.

And pretty damn arbitrary. :hat:

I completely agree with Hex on this, but keep in mind that phone calls followed up by a personal email will go a lot farther than sending a mass email. If you have the time (and cell phone minutes) please take time to individual call as many council members as you can followed up by a quick email to them.

If you don't have the time, mass email to all of them is better than nothing.

Every TGO member needs to use this link....

Nashville.gov - Metro Council Feedback Form

to let Metro Council know how you feel about their attempt to disregard the new State law. Even if you don't live in Nashville, tell them how it'll effect your travel or vacation plans. They seem to value tourists more than residents these days anyway.

Use the pulldown menu to send to ALL MEMBERS of the Council.

This is important guys, let's preserve the hard won victory of just yesterday.

Guest HexHead
I completely agree with Hex on this, but keep in mind that phone calls followed up by a personal email will go a lot farther than sending a mass email. If you have the time (and cell phone minutes) please take time to individual call as many council members as you can followed up by a quick email to them.

I would, but the call wouldn't remain civil for long. Probably not much past "hello". :hat:

I would, but the call wouldn't remain civil for long. Probably not much past "hello". :hat:

Trust me, after 20 minutes speaking with Bo Mitchell yesterday, I was on the internet trying to figure out what it took to run against him in the next council election :devil: For somebody who "supports" the 2nd amendment you'd think he was reading straight off the Brady Campaign website during the call. The one thing the fight over HB0962 (and the silly Metro Council nonsense) has made me realize that I (and yes all of you too) need to be far more active in local politics to help fight this silly anti-2A dribble from the local press and paranoid liberals.

Nashville is the 9th worse large city in the United States right now (yes I know Memphis is far worse), and people want to call me paranoid for wanting to protect myself and my family while dining out?

I realize the chances that I or my family will be a victim of a violent crime on any one trip to a restaurant or the store to pick up milk are fairly slim, but if it happens I want to have the choice to protect them and myself.

The truly paranoid people are these anti-gun folks who think that just because we have access to a restaurant that we will suddenly turn into raving drunks and start blasting away for no reason at all, that somehow they've been perfectly safe for the last 12 years in McD's and Walmart while we've been carrying but the mere presence of beer will make us loose all common sense and start shooting people over silly disagreements. That my friends is truly paranoid....

That's my problem. I'm pissed at this idea and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to hide my growing distain for the entire thing from coloring my language with enough colorful adjectives to make a drunken sailor run screaming into the night.

At least in e-mail I can walk away for a minute before and self sensor before hitting send.