Official Thread for TN House / Senate Override of HB0962 Gubernatorial Veto

Guest HexHead

Guest HexHead
That's what I am thinking, too. There is probably some sort of protocol to bringing up an override vote. Hopefully the sponsor is just waiting for the most appropriate or the agreed time.

Well, a few pages back it was said the sponsor can bring it up anytime they want. So which is it? I guess this is what's so frustrating, nobody, including the Reps and Senators responding, seems to have a clue about the process.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sstouder

sen tracy responded back to my long letter asking for support of the bill with "will do"....so im thinking he is on board.

What is HB898. From the summary page it does not appear to be only for LEO, but seems to be a roll up of the restaurant carry, park carry, and collage campus carry.

As with most bills...it has long since been amended since introuduced.

Again as with a few the amendment(s) completely re-write the bill.

It basically removed places that serve alcohol from the list of off-limits places for LEO carry.

I would like to make a motion that TGO sponsor Hexhead to set the agenda, control when bills are brought up and voted on and just the overall schedule of the Tennessee General Assembly next year.

Any objections?

:rolleyes:...sorry Hex....just had to.

Guest HexHead

It basically removed places that serve alcohol from the list of off-limits places for LEO carry.

I'll be really pissed if they get that and we don't.

Guest HexHead
I would like to make a motion that TGO sponsor Hexhead to set the agenda, control when bills are brought up and voted on and just the overall schedule of the Tennessee General Assembly next year.

Any objections?

:lol:...sorry Hex....just had to.

Yeah, I object. Just on principle. :rolleyes::D:D

Guest jg45
As with most bills...it has long since been amended since introuduced.

Again as with a few the amendment(s) completely re-write the bill.

So the amendments created another class of citizen exempt from some laws? Off duty LEO and judges may now do things that are illegal for the average citizen? That doesn't sit well with me.

That is a topic better served in another thread though. I want this override to happen ASAP!

Guest db99wj
So the amendments created another class of citizen exempt from some laws? Off duty LEO and judges may now do things that are illegal for the average citizen? That doesn't sit well with me.

That is a topic better served in another thread though. I want this override to happen ASAP!

Not only a different thread, the topic has been discussed in the past, somewhat heated IIRC.

Guest db99wj

Speaking of the Gov. Bredesen, Just got an email from him.

June 3, 2009

Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me about gun-related bills which have been considered by the General Assembly this year.

Let me be very clear: I am a strong supporter of the right to keep and bear arms. I am, and have always been, committed to preserving the rights of the Second Amendment. They are basic American rights, protected by the United States Constitution and the Tennessee Constitution as well. Even so, these rights, for more than two centuries, have come with reasonable and necessary rules and guidelines. For this reason, I carefully consider each bill that reaches my desk and evaluate it on its own merits.

As you know, I decided to veto House Bill 962, which would permit the possession of firearms in Tennessee restaurants and bars. In my view, this particular bill crossed the line of reason.

I have been a gun owner for more than 50 years. When I was a young man, I took my first gun safety class-sponsored by the NRA-at my high school. There was one message conveyed during that class that has been imprinted on me since, and it was this: guns and alcohol don't mix. That is as true today as it was then.

It is because of this principle that Tennessee state law has long prohibited the possession of firearms in places that serve alcohol. House Bill 962 would remove this safeguard in a manner that I, as well as many law enforcement officers, believe would be reckless and lacking safeguards to ensure public safety. A key role of government is to ensure public safety. To do that, government must strike a balance between the rights afforded to us by the Constitution and common-sense rules that must be applied to the exercise of these rights.

I believe we can exercise our second amendment rights and common sense at the same time - and guns and bars simply don't mix. Because of this, I vetoed this bill and respectfully asked the legislature to rethink this issue.

As other bills reach my desk-including legislation related to guns in parks, loaded firearms in automobiles, and others-I intend to review them carefully with both the Constitutional rights of gun owners and the safety of the general public in mind. Please be assured that your views are, and will remain, important to me on these issues and others related to state government.

Warmest regards,

Phil Bredesen

PB:jb

Guest jg45
Not only a different thread, the topic has been discussed in the past, somewhat heated IIRC.

I thought I had seen something on it, but when I searched for the bill number I could find nothing about it. I am going to have to look harder tonight. Right now, this override needs to happen.

Guest HexHead

Wow. I never expected to get a response from the Governor!!! To be honest, I can't even find the message I sent him. LOLOL

June 3, 2009

Dear Hex:

Thank you for contacting me about gun-related bills which have been considered by the General Assembly this year.

Let me be very clear: I am a strong supporter of the right to keep and bear arms. I am, and have always been, committed to preserving the rights of the Second Amendment. They are basic American rights, protected by the United States Constitution and the Tennessee Constitution as well. Even so, these rights, for more than two centuries, have come with reasonable and necessary rules and guidelines. For this reason, I carefully consider each bill that reaches my desk and evaluate it on its own merits.

As you know, I decided to veto House Bill 962, which would permit the possession of firearms in Tennessee restaurants and bars. In my view, this particular bill crossed the line of reason.

I have been a gun owner for more than 50 years. When I was a young man, I took my first gun safety class-sponsored by the NRA-at my high school. There was one message conveyed during that class that has been imprinted on me since, and it was this: guns and alcohol don't mix. That is as true today as it was then.

It is because of this principle that Tennessee state law has long prohibited the possession of firearms in places that serve alcohol. House Bill 962 would remove this safeguard in a manner that I, as well as many law enforcement officers, believe would be reckless and lacking safeguards to ensure public safety. A key role of government is to ensure public safety. To do that, government must strike a balance between the rights afforded to us by the Constitution and common-sense rules that must be applied to the exercise of these rights.

I believe we can exercise our second amendment rights and common sense at the same time - and guns and bars simply don't mix. Because of this, I vetoed this bill and respectfully asked the legislature to rethink this issue.

As other bills reach my desk-including legislation related to guns in parks, loaded firearms in automobiles, and others-I intend to review them carefully with both the Constitutional rights of gun owners and the safety of the general public in mind. Please be assured that your views are, and will remain, important to me on these issues and others related to state government.

Warmest regards,

Phil Bredesen

PB:jb

I replied to him asking if he would have signed the original version of the House bill with the restrictions. I also made sure to ask him to sign the Parks bill on his desk. ;)

Edited by HexHead
Guest JHatmaker

We're all getting it now it looks like.

What he doesn't understand, or seem to be willing to listen to, is that we all agree guns and alcohol don't mix. But just b/c this bill passes doesn't mean we are going to drink at a bar with our gun.

I mainly just want to be able to keep my gun on me when I eat at OCharley's, Chili's, etc

I would imagine the majority of us here would leave our guns behind if we were just going to a bar though to drink. I would, as I don't want to break the law...

Wow. I never expected to get a response from the Governor!!! To be honest, I can't even find the message I sent him. LOLOL

I replied to him asking if he would have signed the original version of the House bill with the restrictions. I also made sure to ask him to sign the Parks bill on his desk. ;)

good luck... with his statements about public safety and parks I bet he vetos it...

Guest Doc44

"I believe we can exercise our second amendment rights and common sense at the same time"

ah......... he lift out "personal political agenda"

Doc44

Guest SUNTZU

I just got that same canned letter from our dear guvnah, except he addressed me as Dear Diane. Just because I have moobs doesn't give him the right to call me Diane! Hey Bredesen, could you or your staffers at least take the time to read the freaking emails and address us by our proper names! Strunzo...

Guest HexHead
good luck... with his statements about public safety and parks I bet he vetos it...

No kidding. But at least I asked. ;)

Guest KWW67

Gun Bill Override Vote Set For Today

House members will vote on Gov. Phil Bredesen's veto of guns in bars on Wednesday around 1 p.m.. A simple majority is required in to override that veto.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The sponsor of a bill to allow

handguns to be carried in bars and restaurants where alcohol is served lashed out at Gov. Phil Bredesen for vetoing the measure.

Before the Democratic governor's veto message was read to the House on Monday night, Republican Rep. Curry Todd of Germantown said from the well of the chamber: "I want to tell you what the governor can do with that piece of paper he just sent."

Todd said he felt blind sighted by the Governor's announcement last week that he would veto what the House passed. He said the governor showed a lack of courtesy by not giving advance notice last week of a veto ceremony featuring law enforcement officers and prosecutors from around the state.

"He has no courtesy for us as members of the General Assembly to have the decency to let us know, as sponsors of the bill what was going on," said Todd.

Bredesen told reporters earlier in the day that he won't be "even faintly surprised" if the legislature overrides his veto.

"I hope they will think about it again, and I pray if this happens there will not be some sort of tragedy in our state," said Bredesen.

Lawmakers must decide Wednesday if they'll override the governor's recent veto of the legislation.

The measure easily passed in the House and Senate earlier this month. A simple majority is required in each chamber to override that veto.

The bill essentially would allow the 200,000 gun-permit carry owners in Tennessee the right to carry their weapons into bars and restaurants that serve liquor and beer.

"The folks that respect the law, the ones who have the right to carry, they are going to respect the law. They are not going to carry their guns in and drink alcohol," said Sen. Jim Tracy.

When Bredesen announced he was vetoing the legislation last week he was surrounded by Metro police officers.

"Where's the data that suddenly says O'Charleys is dangerous? Where's the data that says I can't go to Burger King unless I am packing some heat? Where is the support for all of that?" said Metro Police Chief Ronal Serpas.

Sources said lawmakers will override the governor's veto in the House, and then the Senate will vote on the issue Thursday. Many are still wondering what the governor will do about a bill that allows guns in parks.

"If he is going to be consistent when it comes to public safety, then he will veto it. Somebody has got to man up and tell the NRA that they don't run the state of Tennessee," said Rep. G.A. Hardaway.

The governor has until next Friday to decide if he will veto the guns in parks legislation or not. At this point the governor has not given any sense of exactly what he would do.

Once again House members will vote on the governor's veto Wednesday around 1 p.m. The Senate takes up the issue on Thursday. If both chambers override it - the law takes effect immediately. Stay connected to www.newschannel5.com for the House's decision.

Edited by KWW67
Guest Bronker
I got the canned response too. Yea...

Me too. For his information, I do not see the role of government in my 'personal safety." If he's so comfortable with government agencies' ability to protect us, then why do we still have crime?

Spoken like a true politician. I have crossed party-line voting tendencies to vote for him each time, but he has betrayed us on this.

I can take care of me and mine, if government will leave me the heck alone and get out of my way.

I just got that same canned letter from our dear guvnah, except he addressed me as Dear Diane. Just because I have moobs doesn't give him the right to call me Diane! Hey Bredesen, could you or your staffers at least take the time to read the freaking emails and address us by our proper names! Strunzo...

Mine said "Dear Friend"....i AIN'T his damn friend!!!!!!!