No i did not read most of the thread, that letter and links have been posted before.

but it is the BATF who says it it is fine the way is.

Maybe Rob Howard and Flanigan at the Bureau do not kow what they are doing, cause i damn sure not a lawyer. but they always give me the okay.

or it could me conspiracy against me, to frame me! :D

a few years ago Joe (hero gear) had even stated here, that he was of the oppinion that the engraving was a good idea but but mandatory.

i have shot before with federal officers at matches and never had a problem.

maybe just lucky

Edited by RWF
spelling
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest AF275

I am needing to get my new lower engraved for the SBR marking, and am in the Memphis area. Anyone have an experience with an engraver in the Memphis area?

No i did not read most of the thread, that letter and links have been posted before.

but it is the BATF who says it it is fine the way is.

Maybe Rob Howard and Flanigan at the Bureau do not kow what they are doing, cause i damn sure not a lawyer. but they always give me the okay.

or it could me conspiracy against me, to frame me! :)

a few years ago Joe (hero gear) had even stated here, that he was of the oppinion that the engraving was a good idea but but mandatory.

i have shot before with federal officers at matches and never had a problem.

maybe just lucky

If you are the one who submitted the Form 1 and was subsequently approved to make the firearm into a SBR you MUST engrave it with your name as well as your city, state. Although you did not make the firearm originally you are in fact the maker of a NFA firearm and as such the firearm must be engraved with the maker of the NFA firearm. It is true you can keep the original serial number but when you decide to make a NFA item it must have your information on it as well.

I can assure you that even though you have submitted several forms for travel and such that they, the ATF, are unaware that the SBR that you made does not have your name and city state on it.

Make an appointment with the local office and take it in for inspection along with your approved form. I gurantee they will have issue with it not being marked with your information. You might get lucky and they say to have it done asap or you could have the firearm seized and you thrown in jail for violating the law.

And as far as Hero Gear it would seem they would know the law. It would be a shame if they sold SBR's they made but didn't engrave it with their information. That could land a customer in some hot water until the ATF turned their sights on HG.

Dolomite

Guest TnValleyBulletman

The original manufacturer of the Title I firearm engraved their name and address on the firearm. When it becomes a Title II firearm it must also have that maker's name and address engraved on it. It is not something that should be skipped. I see no reason to jump through all of the other hoops of building an NFA weapon then bypass this one and risk seizure of the weapon as well as loss of your freedom.

And as far as Hero Gear it would seem they would know the law. It would be a shame if they sold SBR's they made but didn't engrave it with their information. That could land a customer in some hot water until the ATF turned their sights on HG.

I'm 100% positive that any SBR's that come from Hero Gear are within the law.

As far as the RWF guy, I have gave up on trying to tell him anything. I posted word for word what the NFA Handbook that BATFE puts out said about engraving SBR's and he still refuses to believe that they have to be engraved. Some people you just can't help.:blink:

I'm 100% positive that any SBR's that come from Hero Gear are within the law.

As far as the RWF guy, I have gave up on trying to tell him anything. I posted word for word what the NFA Handbook that BATFE puts out said about engraving SBR's and he still refuses to believe that they have to be engraved. Some people you just can't help.:rolleyes:

I figured Hero Gear were, every interaction I have had with them has been great. But I have heard of other FFL's (not HG) spouting off nonsense, especially those who don't deal in NFA items.

RWF does need to get his SBR within the law or he will find himself never being able to own another gun, that is when he gets released.

Dolomite

• 2 months later...
You can get a factory SBR on a form 4. It would not require additional engraving, but all form 1s do. I am curious as to what RWF put in block “h”

block "h" is blank because there is no other data on the firearm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Stopped by lebanon gun shop today and talked to the gunsmith,he said he can get my lower engraved for around 30$. He showed me a barrel that was engraved and it looked very good. I'll post results when I have it done. By the way great gun store and they will take time to help you out even when they are busy.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any suggestions on doing a lower that as been engraved by the previous owner?

Is the lower engraved with the previous owner's name and city state?

If so make sure it still isn't registered as a SBR. If it was ask to see confirmation it was removed from the roles. If it is a SBR and you took possession you could get yourself in some hot water.

• 4 weeks later...
I got mine engraved at CMT in Lexington with laser.

Is this a poly lower? Are they in TN

It's billet and yes they are made right here in TN. Outstanding customer service too.

Found these people to engrave.

Southern Trophy House, Inc.
2705 Nolensville Road
Nashville, TN 37211
Ph#256-7295

Hope this helps others in need.
Turn around time is 5 days.

I went here yesterday and they refused to touch firearms of any kind.