I just found this place in Brentwood/Franklin www.facebook.com/allthingsengraved  615-778-1481 Dan, owner

So I just called these guys and think they will be where I have to go.  A bit of a drive for me, but obviously, I want this done right.  They seem very comfortable with firearms from the pics on their Facebook page, which counts for a lot.

They said their first method would be to sandblast the info on, but when I told her I would be using black model paint to cover up the exposed shiny metal, the sales rep said that might not work for me and I would need a real engraving to be sure.  Estimated turn around would be 2 days, which for a full time shop, I guess is to be expected.  I'm now thinking my hoping to get it done while I wait was a bit naive.   Since I'm still on break,  I'll probably go up there Monday and pick it up when it's ready. 

So I just called these guys and think they will be where I have to go.  A bit of a drive for me, but obviously, I want this done right.  They seem very comfortable with firearms from the pics on their Facebook page, which counts for a lot.

They said their first method would be to sandblast the info on, but when I told her I would be using black model paint to cover up the exposed shiny metal, the sales rep said that might not work for me and I would need a real engraving to be sure.  Estimated turn around would be 2 days, which for a full time shop, I guess is to be expected.  I'm now thinking my hoping to get it done while I wait was a bit naive.   Since I'm still on break,  I'll probably go up there Monday and pick it up when it's ready. 

I wanted to use them, but I didn't want to drop my NFA registered lower off with someone that doesn't have an FFL.Technically they are providing gunsmithing services when they engrave a lower.

• 1 month later...

any more experiences with Middle TN engravers?  i'm in need of getting my lower engraved soon, Form 1 isn't approved yet.

for FFL holders like Orion and Ident, can they legally have possession of a ATF Approved Form 1 SBR?  

part of me thinks i should head east and meet with Mike in Oak Ridge.

• 3 weeks later...

any more experiences with Middle TN engravers?  i'm in need of getting my lower engraved soon, Form 1 isn't approved yet.

for FFL holders like Orion and Ident, can they legally have possession of a ATF Approved Form 1 SBR?  

part of me thinks i should head east and meet with Mike in Oak Ridge.

I sent my lower to Orion Arms in Minnesota for a front magwell engraving.  Got it back in less than 7 business days and I'm please with the reasonable cost and how it turned out.  Engraving is much more shallow than I expected and I might need to do a Aluminum Black touchup, but I'm very pleased overall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally got my SBR lower engraved and I'm not happy. 

I took it to Andrew's Tactical Firearms in Clarksville since I was up there for the holiday. Only after the engraving was I told that the markings aren't deep enough for me to paint over and still be visible to the eye like the manufacturer's markings.  To quote Andrew, "I guess I should have mentioned that."  $25 later, my lower looks like ass (to me) and, at a minimum, at least part of it will need to be repainted.  It technically meets the legal requirements since .003" is just about anything that scratches the surface, but I don't have what I want.  My fault for not being my regular over managing, dickheaded self.

I am giving it the official "BTQ :down: " for SBR purposes.  However, to be fair, I'll let others judge for themselves.  After looking at my pic if it's something you can live with for your SBR, I will say it was affordable and done inside of 10 minutes from start to finish since I was the only one in the store.  I also think that for commemorative jobs, the work style would look nice, but not for my SBR.

IMG_20141128_203112_zps644192bb.jpg

doesn't look bad...my engraving looks similar, although I havent decided on whether i would shoot any krylon on my SBR once my stamp comes back so i don't know if i would be in the same boat as you in terms of the engraving being filled by the paint due to lack of depth...

Hard to tell how deep it is but if you throw some Alumablack on it, it will turn the aluminum black .. it's not a coating it's more a reaction.. it's what I use after I engrave.  I do not think the engraving looks that bad.  As you stated .003 is about the thickness of a sheet of notebook paper..  I go to about .02 and it's still not that deep when you compare to the manuf engraving.. many of those are stamped too .. the engraving bits are hard to get small enough to make the minute detail of the letters and then hard enough to go through to a deep depth without breaking.  That 7075 can get pretty hard you'd be suprised.  Most of my customers want something subtle usually too but I've never had any problem post blasting and the engraving still showing up after a fresh cerakote job.  Just be careful if you do paint over it to not coat thick in those areas and I think you'll be ok.

Was it laser engraved? Can't tell from the photo but it looks like it to me.  When spikes was rolling my receivers for me the engraving was very shallow and done on their laser engravers.  My HK416 doesn't have anything deep except the pictograms on it .. the serial number, HK logo and everything looks like a bead blasting and they'll be gone.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/blackening-browning/aluminum-black-prod4941.aspx

• Like 1

Hard to tell how deep it is but if you throw some Alumablack on it, it will turn the aluminum black .. it's not a coating it's more a reaction.. it's what I use after I engrave.  I do not think the engraving looks that bad.  As you stated .003 is about the thickness of a sheet of notebook paper..  I go to about .02 and it's still not that deep when you compare to the manuf engraving.. many of those are stamped too .. the engraving bits are hard to get small enough to make the minute detail of the letters and then hard enough to go through to a deep depth without breaking.  That 7075 can get pretty hard you'd be suprised.  Most of my customers want something subtle usually too but I've never had any problem post blasting and the engraving still showing up after a fresh cerakote job.  Just be careful if you do paint over it to not coat thick in those areas and I think you'll be ok.

Was it laser engraved? Can't tell from the photo but it looks like it to me.  When spikes was rolling my receivers for me the engraving was very shallow and done on their laser engravers.  My HK416 doesn't have anything deep except the pictograms on it .. the serial number, HK logo and everything looks like a bead blasting and they'll be gone.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/blackening-browning/aluminum-black-prod4941.aspx

It was laser engraved.  I'm not upset with the quality of the lettering, but I for sure wanted to have it faded with a quick color job.  I was going to get a small bottle of Testers model paint, that's what I used for the pictograms, but you think the stuff you linked would be better?

If I can't fix it, I might just travel to Oak Ridge and have you do it right if you can give me a quick enough turnaround.  You're the only one I've seen that has a standard I can accept.

Edited by btq96r

yeah the alumablack won't take any depth away at all.. it's a pure liquid with the consistency of something like alcohol, etc... it just has a chemical effect on the metal... you dab a bit on a q-tip and just rub around in circles. Wipe off the excesss.. doesn't mark the existing coating much either if you wipe it off when it's still wet...  I'd think the laser engraving would do great with it as I expect it's nice an even...if there are imperfections the blackening will bring those out as it doesn't fill anything it will just make the shinny aluminum a matte black color. 

I use it to touch up rails, receivers and it will even blacken steel to an extent. It's good to have around if you own any black rifles...

That IS aluminum we're seeing underneath right? the laser did cut through the finish coat right?  I've seen some receivers with some hard white primer like undercoat .. but if it's all aluminum and evenly done I think you'll be happy... it will make it super subtle but you should be able to see it tilting it in the light.

I know it takes a decent laser engraver to get any depth, not these $2-$5k models... those table top engravers are great for marking knives and etching but it takes a decent $20-$25K laser to get the depth or so I've been told.. I'd love to have one but my old HAAS does a decent enough job I can't justify.. but the lasers do a much neater job than the engraving machines in my opinion.

yeah the alumablack won't take any depth away at all.. it's a pure liquid with the consistency of something like alcohol, etc... it just has a chemical effect on the metal... you dab a bit on a q-tip and just rub around in circles. Wipe off the excesss.. doesn't mark the existing coating much either if you wipe it off when it's still wet...  I'd think the laser engraving would do great with it as I expect it's nice an even...if there are imperfections the blackening will bring those out as it doesn't fill anything it will just make the shinny aluminum a matte black color. 

I use it to touch up rails, receivers and it will even blacken steel to an extent. It's good to have around if you own any black rifles...

That IS aluminum we're seeing underneath right? the laser did cut through the finish coat right?  I've seen some receivers with some hard white primer like undercoat .. but if it's all aluminum and evenly done I think you'll be happy... it will make it super subtle but you should be able to see it tilting it in the light.

I know it takes a decent laser engraver to get any depth, not these $2-$5k models... those table top engravers are great for marking knives and etching but it takes a decent $20-$25K laser to get the depth or so I've been told.. I'd love to have one but my old HAAS does a decent enough job I can't justify.. but the lasers do a much neater job than the engraving machines in my opinion.

It's aluminum we're seeing.  I can feel the difference between the area done up and the smooth black.  The engraver was inside a clock shop that does all kinds of engravings for watches, trophies, plaques, ect...he just doubles as a firearms engraver.

I just want to keep it legal, and not have any glaring out parts aside from the pictograms.  I'm going to get a bottle of the alumablack and give it a go.  Thanks for all the sage counsel.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
All Things Engraved in Cool Springs did a lower for me back in early November. I'm pleased with it. The shop owner explained how it would look before he did the work and it was exactly as he said it would be.

I recently got some more stuff engraved. The guy I use has a pneumatic engraver that is like a mini jack hammer with a very fine point. Looks like regular engraving and is DEEP. On aluminum it is .012"+ and on the titanium he did it is .009"+. I also had an AK receiver engraved by another guy and do not like it at all. He went by the ATF specs and the letters are 1/16" tall which makes it very hard to read. And couple that with some sort of decorative, artsy fartsy font and it looks awful.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Any recommendations for a local shop that will engrave a polymer frame?  I have called several gun stores and none provide engraving services.  One did recommend Tarheel State Firearms, but I rather not mail frame out of state.  Much appreciated.