HB 0898

Guest vandutton

Guest vandutton

Who else saw that HB 898 got passed?

HCP in college campuses... I can finally be safe - if it passes that Senate and Gov....

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who else saw that HB 898 got passed?

HCP in college campuses... I can finally be safe - if it passes that Senate and Gov....

Unfortunately no...the House and Senate versions were amended. The only thing that is left is for current and retired LEOs to enter such restaurants that serve alcohol for on-site consumption.

Guest 270win

The bill puts Tennessee in conformity with other states that allow LEO's to carry pretty much anywhere, including retired LEO's. Arkansas full time AND reserve LEO's can carry anywhere off duty in the state. Visiting off duty LEO's can carry wherever they want in Arkansas (much better than HR218). Retired LEO's can carry wherever they please as long as they qualify annually as spelled out in the federal LEO HR218. If retired only want to qualify every five years, they have to get a regular concealed handgun license.

Arkansas does not have a specific law that i can recall against LEO's drinking while off duty and carrying a handgun. Someone with a license cannot commit an alcohol offense while carrying...which includes public intox, drinking in public, and DWI. There is nothing spelled out in the law that says you cannot have A drink while carrying...same as LEO's.

Edited by 270win
Unfortunately no...the House and Senate versions were amended. The only thing that is left is for current and retired LEOs to enter such restaurants that serve alcohol for on-site consumption.

Just curious - does anyone know if LEOs are subject to restrictions in posted locations?

Guest SomeGuy

The great part, is Reps who voted against us, Harwell for example, voted for the cops.

Nothing like a House of Representatives, for the police, and screw the people.

Just curious - does anyone know if LEOs are subject to restrictions in posted locations?

No,

But IMO, unless they have official business on private property, the owner of that property can deny them entrance in general. But if they allow them to enter they can not require them to disarm.

Guest SomeGuy
But if they allow them to enter they can not require them to disarm.

Actually, if they are not their on official business, they CAN be required to disarm.

Actually, if they are not their on official business, they CAN be required to disarm.

I don't think so, I think they could only be denied entry.

39-17-1350 Law enforcement officers permitted to carry firearms — Exceptions — Restrictions — Identification card for corrections officers.

(a) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, any law enforcement officer may carry firearms at all times and in all places within Tennessee, on-duty or off-duty, regardless of the officer's regular duty hours or assignments, except as provided by subsection ©, federal law, lawful orders of court or the written directives of the executive supervisor of the employing agency.

(:biglol: The authority conferred by this section is expressly intended to and shall supersede restrictions placed upon law enforcement officers' authority to carry firearms by other sections within this part.

© The authority conferred by this section shall not extend to a law enforcement officer:

(1)
Who carries a firearm onto school grounds or inside a school building during regular school hours unless the officer immediately informs the principal that the officer will be present on school grounds or inside the school building and in possession of a firearm. If the principal is unavailable, the notice may be given to an appropriate administrative staff person in the principal's office;

(2)
Who is consuming beer or an alcoholic beverage or who is under the influence of beer, an alcoholic beverage, or a controlled substance;

(3)
Who is not engaged in the actual discharge of official duties as a law enforcement officer while within the confines of an establishment where beer or alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on-the-premises; or

(4)
Who is not engaged in the actual discharge of official duties as a law enforcement officer while attending a judicial proceeding.

Parts (a) & (:biglol: say they can carry anywhere at all times, except the places listed in ©. Part © doesn't say anything about the guy at the 7-11 or other private property owner's in genreal, being able to require them to disarm.

The great part, is Reps who voted against us, Harwell for example, voted for the cops.

At least some people will remember this at election time. My wife and I have already had a conversation about the next house election and who we have supported in the past.

Yeah, I sent her an email telling her she would not get my vote in the future.

Guest redbarron06

It is my understand reading both TCA and the federal LEOSA that if the property is posted that unless the officer is on official buisness he can not carry there. The LEOSA also excludes any government property such as parks and such. As far as police with guns in bars even though TCA does not allow them to LEOSA does. This is another example of the fedral government violating 10A

Guest SomeGuy

I think LEOSA demands states set up a system, but still allows them to set restrictions.

Fallguy, if you own the property, and tell an off-duty/retired cop he must disarm before entering or he is not welcome, and he enters anyway it is trespassing; exactly as if you or I was in the position.

I think LEOSA demands states set up a system, but still allows them to set restrictions.

Fallguy, if you own the property, and tell an off-duty/retired cop he must disarm before entering or he is not welcome, and he enters anyway it is trespassing; exactly as if you or I was in the position.

I agree with both statements.....

Guest justme
The bill puts Tennessee in conformity with other states that allow LEO's to carry pretty much anywhere, including retired LEO's. Arkansas full time AND reserve LEO's can carry anywhere off duty in the state. Visiting off duty LEO's can carry wherever they want in Arkansas (much better than HR218). Retired LEO's can carry wherever they please as long as they qualify annually as spelled out in the federal LEO HR218. If retired only want to qualify every five years, they have to get a regular concealed handgun license.

Arkansas does not have a specific law that i can recall against LEO's drinking while off duty and carrying a handgun. Someone with a license cannot commit an alcohol offense while carrying...which includes public intox, drinking in public, and DWI. There is nothing spelled out in the law that says you cannot have A drink while carrying...same as LEO's.

Should not matter--off duty/retired leos should not be entitled to carry anywhere that a normal person would be restricted from carrying--meaning post secondary campuses, court houses, and places posted per T.C.A 39-17-1359

there should be one law for everyone--not one for "us" and another for "them"...this bill merely creates a special class of people, and that is simply wrong.

Guest justme
I hope the officers that stood with the governor when he vetoed allowing us to carry, also stand up against their own officers doing the same.

of course they will....you know that as well as I do.