SA 1911a1 vs XD 9mm

Guest mc30707

Guest mc30707

OK guys, I've got a perfectly good SA 1911-a1 GI 45 ACP in SS. It shoots fine, never had a FTF or FTE. The problem, or maybe not, is that I have an itch for an XD 9mm. I like the way it feels in my hand. I also like the way my 1911 feels as well. I can't afford to keep the 1911 if I get the XD. What should I do? What would you do?:P

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I own both and can tell you that there's absolutely no way I'd get rid of either of my 1911s in favor of keeping the XD9. As with all things, this will ultimately boil down to personal preference but I just told you what mine would be and I suspect it's what yours would be in hindsight, accompanied by much regret.

What are you going to use it for?

The only advantages of the XD-9 over a 1911 are weight, magazine capacity, and... hmm... that's about it.

The 1911 is slimmer, more accurate (though it should be mentioned that GI sights suck), and utilizes a harder-hitting cartridge (though there is always the XD-45...).

If you don't like the 1911, and you do like the XD, go for it... noone would judge you for choosing a platform which works better for you. Plus, 9mm is cheaper to shoot. You might find that the XD is easier to carry, but, it is a much thicker gun... harder to conceal because of the fatter grip. I prefer to carry an XD simply because I can run it very well due to lots of practice (11K+ rounds through the various XDs which I've owned)... I carried a 1911 for a while, and would again, but my personal preference is towards the lighter, higher-capacity package without a manual safety. And, the ergonomics are just right.

Let personal preference be your deciding factor... though, I would urge you to spend your time deciding, shooting as many XDs as you can. The best solution would be to save up and buy the XD without selling/trading the 1911.

Guest mc30707

Yeah, your probably right. The main reason to sell/trade is the cost of 45 acp vs 9mm. I should probably put the 45 away and shoot my Beretta 92FS, then save for the XD.

GT rat, I got the m4's covered, a Stag model 2L lefty for me and a RRA entry tactical for the "wife" Both ar's are excellant shooters by the way. thanks guys

Guest Steelharp

IMHO... having owned both platforms, I would not venture into the XD world again. It just doesn't work for me. Too much muzzle flip, because the barrel sits so much higher than in a 1911. Glocks, with their slightly steeper grip angle, bring the bore axis down closer to my wrist line. They are the only plastic pistol that works well for me.

Keep your 1911... and once you have the money for an XD... keep it, and save some more, and keep looking...

Guest EasilyObsessed

Have you looked at the M&P? Bit fatter than the 1911 but more slim than the XD.

IMO it feels more like a 1911 than most of the other polymer pistols.

If you do decide you want the XD send me a PM. I have one that I've been thinking about unloading for another 1911 .45, preferably one in stainless. I think it's possible that we could work something out if you decided to go the way of the XD.

That being said, as for impartial advice, I'm trying to get rid of my XD9 for a 1911, so I guess actions speak louder than words :up:

I'll go along with the throng and suggest you keep the 1911. I'd also keep the 92FS. In fact I'd get rid of the 1911 before the 92.

Having owned at least four brands of striker fired handguns (my memory comes and goes :up:), I always go back to handguns with hammers as my keepers. There are just too many advantages in the hammer design. Or maybe there are disadvantages in the striker design. Whatever.

Nothing exactly wrong with most striker-fired guns except that they are striker-fired guns. I can recommend them unless they are Lorcin, Raven, Bryco, Jennings, Jimenez or Glock. :P

Actually, I'm still looking at M&Ps, although I'm not entirely sure why I'm doing that. I was very happy with my XD-9 except for it being striker fired. It was accurate, shot naturally, had excellent ergonomics, and was entirely reliable. It and the Five-seveN are the only striker fired weapons I might have kept. But I didn't keep either.

• Administrator

If he trades a perfectly good 1911 off for a Glock, I actually hope he does accidentally shoot himself (Glock Leg) with it when he reholsters. That's like saying, "I know I could have a Corvette but that Pontiac Fiero just speaks to me for some reason".

:up:

PS: I'd actually like another Glock 23. ;)

Guest samueld308
Have you looked at the M&P? Bit fatter than the 1911 but more slim than the XD.

IMO it feels more like a 1911 than most of the other polymer pistols.

+1 Easily Obsessed.

Just save up for the plastic gun, DON'T get rid of the 1911. If you want a plastic gun, you should give the M&P a try.