Guns everybody should have in their life.

wjh2657

I was just musing through my arsenal the other day and got to thinking. Which guns had the most influence on my life? Which guns do I remember with the fondest memories and shoot the most today? I am not going to cover handguns as many people never really get into handguns (I EDC but a lot of my neighbors don't even own a handgun.)

Most influence and fondest memories: Marlin 15 and H&R Topper (Model 128)

Shoot the most today: Marlin 60 and Mossberg 500.

Consider most essential (everybody should have one!): Marlin 60 and Mossberg 500. ( some of you will substitute Ruger 10/22 and Remington 870 here, works the same)

Edited by wjh2657
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Marlin 60 that I've had so long, I don't even remember when I bought it. The serial number tells me it was made in 86. It was the first gun all of my kids shot growing up. Never fails (unless shooting Remington bulks), very accurate.

The gun that means the most to me is an Italian Carcano stamped 1929. My dad gave it to me on my 12th birthday. My first gun. A deer slayer. I still have it and cherish it. I need to get some 6.5x52 and shoot it. It's been probably 30 years since it's been fed.

Influence & memories: Remington Model 514 - single-shot .22 S, L, or LR. My first (39 years ago) and still my favorite. :)

Shoot the most today? Hard to say. :)

Essential: Remington 870 Express Magnum 12g for me - 28" bird + 20" slug barrels, does it all. :)

Edited by ttocswob
brevity
Guest Astra900
and H&R Topper

Ahh the old Single, the most under appreciated gun around. The Redheaded stepchild of firearms. Yet, it's the one most of us cut our teeth on.

Guest ScottD

A child sized, single shot, bolt action .22. Don't remember who made it, but still have it in the safe. I was shooting it @ age 4 or so.

most inflence would probably be a NEF pardner .410 break-over single shot shotgun. got it for christmas when i was around 11 or 12. i had this gun before i had a bbgun or paintball gun or any other kind of gun. and to this day i still have an affection for the single shot shotgun and rifle.

something everyone should have in there life is rem 870/moss500/590 and some sort of .22 rifle

Guest CaneyFork

`had an ola single barrel 12 ga called nitro hunter it belonged to my dad i learned to hunt with it my grand cut the barrel off when my dad was in service i WW2. if you were rabbit hunting you just had to point it no aming . my son has it now hope he enjoys it as mucn as i did.

Marlin 60 when I was 7, and an H&R Topper 12 gauge when I was 9. I thought my Grandmother hated me for a while after she gave me that mule kickin' SOB. lol

I still have both, and wouldn't get rid of 'em for anything. I hope to pass 'em down, purely because of the sentimental value.

The gun that means the most to me is an Italian Carcano stamped 1929....

Dude!

If you can find a few shells for that and bring it to E. TN shoot Saturday, I'd give ya $10 just to fire one round, just to have shot "Oswald's gun."

The two guns that have meant the most to me (and that everyone should have) are a shotgun and .22 rifle.

- My granddad's Remington 1900 double barrel 12 ga.

- My very first gun, Remington Fieldmaster .22 pump

Granddad taught me to shoot using both of these when I was 12. Though both have great sentimental value, I sold the shottie to a TGOer some time back. Still have the Fieldmaster, which still shoots great.

I also still have Daisy pump BB gun from my youth, too. Even found a replacement magazine. I prolly oughtta sell that, too.

Don't diss me, it does eventually make a difference when you have no heirs.

1900-1.jpg

fieldmaster.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
added pix
Guest Astra900

Don't diss me, it does eventually make a difference when you have no heirs.

- OS

If I start calling you "Paw" will you count me as an heir in your will?

Think about it Paw;)

Dude!

If you can find a few shells for that and bring it to E. TN shoot Saturday, I'd give ya $10 just to fire one round, just to have shot "Oswald's gun."

- OS

If I can find some ammo, I'll bring the gun. Heck, I might bring the gun anyway. My dad cut the stock down, sanded it, and put my initials in it so it doesn't look original. But that just adds to it's sentimental value to me.

By the way, when I was young, calling someone a "dude" was not considered a positive thing. How times have changed.

A child sized, single shot, bolt action .22. Don't remember who made it, but still have it in the safe. I was shooting it @ age 4 or so.

I had one too!! It was most likely a Remington. Learned to shoot with it. Learned to shoot a shotgun with a Winchester Youth Model 20 ga single shot.

Kind Regards,

LEROY

If I can find some ammo, I'll bring the gun. Heck, I might bring the gun anyway.

Oh, please do, I'd like to hold one, just for the "historical" experience. The gun that (maybe) killed JFK.

By the way, when I was young, calling someone a "dude" was not considered a positive thing. How times have changed.

Yeah, believe me I know.

I just thought I'd indulge, since you're so much younger than me. :)

- OS

• Admin Team

Crosman 760 Pumpmaster - a pellet gun, but it changed my world

Charter Arms AR-7 - A whole lot of fun that fits in backpack - and it really does float

Ruger 10/22 - The gold standard of a youth well spent.

My dad was right on the money way back when.....

My first rifle was a Marlin model 60 and my first shotgun was an H&R Topper 20ga.

They're still in my collection. They don't see that much action anymore and are cherished like gold.

However, I will be digging them out of the safe for my sons and daughter to cut their marksmanship teeth on.:)

Guest Ghostrider

Remington 12 GA pump

Colt 1911

M16 and the A1 variant

M203

Remington 308 bolt action (don't recall the model number)

One other long gun here

Springfield XD45c

Colt 1911 - commander

Mossberg 12 Ga slug rifled shotgun

Maybe just as importantly, the ammo. I'm very partial to Remington Golden sabers for personal defense these days, and the 44 mag hollow point sabot in the slug gun is pretty impressive, and is the 50cal hollow point sabot.

Overall favorite ammo(s)- large bore API - 40 mm beehive - 40 mm wp "markers"

But I guess I'm dating myself....

Guest 5Legion

I had a Marlin .22 carbine that looked like a M2 carbine. Many trips to the local DRM range with it. Broke the stock and could never find a replacement, lost the mag ... then about 5 years ago got a 10/22. Best little rifle ever. My oldest boy is 7 and he'll start on the 10/22. I need another one now ...

I feel so akward compared to you guys. Everything from my youth were revolvers.

I cut my teeth on an old S&W 65 K-frame . It was my Papaw's service revolver for the Knox County Sherrifs Dept. I was 7 I believe. My father has the gun currently and soon it will be passed down to me as will dozens of other "family" jewls.

My fondest memory is shooting my great grandpaws' old top break .38. I haven't seen it in years and I think my father actually has it in a safe deposit box. It's WWII era I believe. Can't remember the name or model of it for the life of me. (Gona have to get him to let me take a few pics.) I remember shooting that thing houndreds of times between the ages of 11 and 14. Those were fun times.....:stare:

Guest gcrookston

The first gun I ever fired was my father's Springfield Model 3, a .22 single shot. for my 10th birthday I received a Ruger 10/22 carbine that now has about a bazillion rounds through it -- and the front and rear sights are broke -- again... First handgun was my dad's Colt Woodsman 2nd model. First adult rifle Winchester Model 70 after learning to shoot my dad's sporterized '03 Springfield... It's been all down hill since

Guest bkelm18

Well, my family is a bunch of liberal, gun fearing whackos so I never had a gun growing up. I was lucky enough to talk my dad into a Red Rider BB gun. First gun I ever shot was my friends bolt action .22, not sure what it was but it was a hoot.