info for women by women

Guest dizzielizzie

Guest dizzielizzie

Would like to know if there is any good information you have found on the internet written by women for women...

I have already read the cornered cat.

Are there also any organizations or magazines out there for women? I get Gun World in my household, but it's all guy.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

Came across this earlier today. Not written by a woman, but I'd say it's for one.

Total Survivalist Libertarian Rantfest: Batons, Glocks, Maggy and Womens Self Defense

Batons, Glocks, Maggy and Womens Self Defense

Today I am going to be writing about a conversation with Maggy about batons, Glocks and self defense. She wrote on this earlier today.

[You guessed it this is DISCLAIMER time. I am not a martial arts or self defense or firearms instructor. I am also not a cop, a lawyer, a prossecutor, a defense attorney, a doctor or a carnie (sorta wish I was a carnie though:). What I say is for informational purposes only and I strongly suggest you consult the appropriate professionals before making any major decisions. In closing you are a grown assed man or woman and solely responsible for your choices.]

Anyway I got a phone call from her yesterday. Picked it up and after the usual pleasantries she asked what I thought of ASPs. I said they are not as good as a gun but a heck of a lot better than waving your arms around while saying harsh words. The first real plus of an batons for Maggy's individual situation is their low price. I own a generic version (not cheap crap though) and it seems that around $20 is the price. Genuine ASPs are $70 on the website (may be cheaper elsewhere) if you want to be spiffy. I have been quite happy with mine and see no reason for the additional expense. As with most of us desires are infinite and resources are finite but as a single mom Maggy definitely needs to watch her dollars. She can go get a baton this weekend but saving up for a Glock 9mm is going to take awhile. If nothing else a baton is a great weapon for her to carry now until a pistol can be purchased. Believe I said that for her situation "if she needs to fight it will be far more useful then an envelope in a drawer which has "Glock 9mm" written on it and $30 inside". The second advantage is that boy is not going to be able to hurt himself with a baton; well not more than he could with a rock or a piece of firewood. She will need to address firearms safety with children at some point (a small floor mounted safe) but that isn't a concern for today.

As for batons in general they are probably my prefered non firearm weapon for self defense, certainly my favorite that is readily concealable. Can't conceal a ninja sword or an ax handle. I like batons for several reasons.

1. Taking out and extending a baton really says "I am not ****ing around and will hurt you badly". Of course intimidation is often not enough to win a fight but sometimes it is, in any case never a bad thing to have a bit of it on your side.

2. They give you reach. Reach means you can strike someone before they can strike you which is a very good thing. It could be quite possible to incapacitate someone before they could be in range to harm you. Reach is also very important against a knife.

3. Batons can incapacitate someone without killing them. Not to say they can't maim, cripple or kill people but it could be entirely realistic to incapacitate an attacker in a manner that let you have safe egress and them have nothing worse than a very sore wrist and a few lumps elsewhere. (If this is the intended strategy it would probably be prudent to avoid the head, neck and spine) Granted I can't see myself hitting someone with a baton unless doing serious harm wasn't my intention but it is good to have options.

For Maggy's long term plan a Glock 9mm (not yet purchased) will be the answer for carry and a 12 gauge pump will keep the house safe.

As for womens self defense I think they have some advantages and some disadvantages.

Advantages:

1. Women are generally far smarter about not going to stupid places or being out at stupid times than men are.

2. A women (especially one of small stature) can probably justify a far quicker progression through the use of force continuum then a man would be able to. I have a very hard time seeing a woman (with a clean record) who shot a man (probably a felon) who tried to strong arm rob/ rape/ whatever her having real legal fallout. Do apply common sense (if someone isn't threatening your life you don't need to take theirs) and of course reread the disclaimer.

3. In general the average woman is more aware of their immediate surroundings then the average man is.

4. A woman will be more likely to have the element of suprise because effective resistance is less likely.

5. Because of a lack of testosterone fueled ego women tend to learn skills with a more open mind thus learning them faster and better than men.

Disadvantages:

1. Women on average are smaller and have much less upper body strength then men. If a woman (who is not a professional fighter or ninja) gets into a hand to hand fight with an average man she is going to loose. A 115lbs woman with a black belt in some sort of asian art will probably not last long in a fight with an average sized (5'9" 170 ish) somewhat hardened criminal.

2. Guys are not common targets of stranger rape (the grab by the hair and drag into the alley kind) while women are. More potential reasons to be targeted equals more potential for an encounter with a violent criminal.

3. Womens fashion tends to make the carry of a firearm on your person somewhat difficult, especially in warmer weather. A guy wearing a loose fitting t shirt and shorts is quite common but not so for women.

4. Guns and holsters are generally designed by men for other men to use. Women are shaped different. Finding a good comfortable holster will be more difficult. This does however seem to be getting a bit better recently.

Maggy also mentioned that she had been toying with the idea of taking boxing classes. I suggested first that she take a womens self defense class. Not that one of these will turn her into a trained killer or anything but it will get her a lot for $50 and an afternoon or two. Boxing classes conversely will take a long time (probably months) for her to see any real improvement. I mentioned that if she stands there and trades punches with some guy it is not going to go well. A few nasty shots ending the matter is probably a womans (and to a lesser degree a mans) most realistic way to win a hand to hand fight. Taking boxing classes would not be a bad thing at all just that it might be wise to pursue an avenue with a quicker payoff first.

For womens self defense in general I suggest the same thing as I do for men. Purchase, train with and carry firearms. (Bridgid wrote a good post on this topic recently) If you are not at all 'into guns' a compact pistol (carryable) and a pump shotgun are probably enough guns. If you get more into it a .22 for training and a rifle just in case things go completely to hell would be wise.

Guest landman08

NRA has a womens magazine, went blank on the name. They also sponser Women In The Outdoors events around the state at gun ranges. John Siever Range in Knoxville has one in June, I think. I will look it up.

• 2 months later...
Guest Superfly

I am new here..former Jarhead, gear rep for a major tactical distributor-self defense instructor and a woman! I agree it is very hard to find good resources for women regarding effective self defense (firearm related or otherwise) tactics. I feel compelled to offer a favorite old stand by ....OC spray. It's effective, inexpensive and easy to carry-it is different than MACE because OC actually produces a physiological reaction (severve irritation to the mucous membranes,eyes and surrounding soft tissue to varying degrees)

There are times it is just not appropriate to shoot, and althogh a baton can be very effective, it is difficult for the inexperienced user to deploy and more importantly, retain. A lot of women who are interested in taking responsibility for their own safety just want to get home safe and OC (as part of a "tool box" with regular/different training, practice,etc.) will greatly assist with that mission.

Sorry the fist post ever was a bit long winded-just though it was important to mention-:D

Guest Superfly

By the way great post P.S. very informative and correct in many ways. As a newbie (and a chik) I am always a bit wary of the blanket "kill them all and let God sort them out" with the highest caliber possible-Nice support of the forum....thanks!