Web Camera Recorder

Marswolf

OK. Now for something really off topic for a gun board.

I've had a webcam for years but never used it. don't know why I bought it. But I plugged it in yesterday and it still works.

What I am looking for is an application that will let me take and save pictures every 5 minutes with the thing. It doesn't need to put the photos out where others can see them on the web. Just save them to incrementing files so I can check later and see what was happening outside my office window while I was gone.

Do any of you know a killer app for this?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

WebCam32 was the product I used for this a while back. We had to prove that our cleaning crew was swiping stuff from our offices, so I set a cam up to catch them in the act. :eek:

Software works like a champ and is very easy to configure. I can't say enough good things about it.

Edit... Well crap, I see that they are no longer providing it. Let me see if I can find my copy and I'll email it to you. :eek:

Thanks Tungsten. Unfortunately, the application is no longer sold:

Please Note: After September 15, 2006, we will no longer be selling Webcam32, ISpy or WebcamSat webcam software, as we wish to focus all of our resources on the development of the SRV-1 robot.

However a quick search found me a neat hack site in France that has it. :eek:

Their loss. :eek:

I've tried WebCam32 and it seems to work. Also am trying TinCam but haven't completely figured it out yet.

Grabbed several other possibilities.

I may set it up as a server so everyone can see my bird/squirrel/hen/raccoon feeding station.

1216500570_dc21025d46.jpg

I found a program that does exactly what I want - if I could get it to properly create an AVI file. Capture Studio Professional v 4.01 will capture individual images at whatever rate you like. It will then create an AVI "movie" of the shots. Only problem is that the routine that creates the AVI file will apparently only let you add one picture (.bmp) at a time.

The company, Bitwelder, apparently released the software as freeware and then made a version as shareware of something. I can't find the commercial version and their site looks like they may be out of business but still have a website. Most odd. The old v4.01 is available on a lot of download sites.

I may be able to persuade some other software to make a movie of the pictures. This would just make it easier to view several hours of time quickly.

BTW, I like http://btjunkie.org/ :D

• 2 weeks later...

After trying about all the webcam programs out there, including finding cracks for a couple so I could properly evaluate them (don't tell anyone :D), I finally found an application that does what I want.

While it will let you put your webcam on the net, my need was for one that would just capture still images every x number of seconds to the local computer and then assemble them into a movie that I could watch to see if an animal had come around my wildlife feeding station (bird feeder with frequent invasions by squirrels, raccoons, cats and a chicken).

I've just started using this one but it seems to do exactly what I need it to do. It has other features, like motion detection too. Haven't tried that yet.

So the winner seems to be Yawcam.

Cost?

Free.

What is Yawcam?

Yawcam is a shortening for Yet Another WebCAM software, and that's exactly what it is.

More precise Yawcam is a webcam software for windows written in java. The main ideas for Yawcam are to keep it simple and easy to use but to include all the usual features.

Yawcam is completely free to use! ...

For some reason, I have a feeling this is going to result in an upgrade of my old webcam. :cool:

Runner up was TrackerCam, which is free, but it is pretty crippled without buying their TrackerPod software. Capture Studio Professional and WEBCAM32 deserve an honorable mention. Several of the webcam applications deserve a horrible-mention. ;)

Fwink, another freebie looks good to just get your webcam on the net. But Yawcam seems to do most of the job simply and well.

Big thanks to those who helped! :taser:

Man, that software is awesome! I set it up in my garage where I have a camera running surveilence.. I love the motion detection this program has. You can set it to e-mail you and attach any number of camera images as soon as motion is detected. I decided to test it out and here are the results. Anyone who breaks into my stuff is going to be BUSTED. These are the images that were e-mailed to me.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

I also set it to save a whole series of images to the hard drive once motion is detected. You can then as Mars said, splice them together into a movie. Very helpful if you are broken into and need something to show the police. A bonus is you can also have the files uploaded to an FTP site or saved to a network drive... that way if the thief steals that computer too, you have the capability of having multiple copies of the files for help catching the guy.

I also have mine setup so I can connect in from anywhere on the internet and see streaming video from it.

Thanks Mars. For free, this software has some GREAT features!