Truck Guns

Guest truthsayer

Guest truthsayer

Since the legislation passed, I'm curious to know what everyone is going to use for their truck/car gun. Until I get a good deal on another beat-up 870, I'm just hanging an SKS in the back of the cab.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AmericanWorkMule

My Uncle carried a TOY M-16 in his pick-up gun rack way back in the day. He went to the city and someone broke out a window to steal it.

Only+in+Texas..gun+rack+in+back+of+truck.jpg

Guest bkelm18
Sorry, what legislation are you referring to? Is it now legal to carry loaded long guns in vehicles? Thanks.

Yes, with an HCP and with the chamber empty. As to the OP, I won't have a truck gun. Don't really see a need for one. It'll just be nice to make range trips without playing Where's Waldo in my car with the rifles and ammo.

Guest jimdigriz

Thanks bkelm18. Do you know the name of the bill? I want to look it up to get the particulars. Does it apply only to permit holders, or to everyone? Does it allow carrying loaded (but not chambered) long guns _and_ handguns? My wife will not get a permit right now, but she can carry a weapon in the vehicle for breakdowns and such. EDITED TO ADD: Oops, saw the bit about HCP. OK. So what are the rights for a non-permit holder? Can they carry a gun with a loaded but separated mag in the car?

Edited by jimdigriz
Guest bkelm18
Thanks bkelm18. Do you know the name of the bill? I want to look it up to get the particulars. Does it apply only to permit holders, or to everyone? Does it allow carrying loaded (but not chambered) long guns _and_ handguns? My wife will not get a permit right now, but she can carry a weapon in the vehicle for breakdowns and such. EDITED TO ADD: Oops, saw the bit about HCP. OK. So what are the rights for a non-permit holder? Can they carry a gun with a loaded but separated mag in the car?

Tennessee General Assembly Legislation

Only applies to permit holders and only applies to long guns. The firearm's magazines/clips may be loaded but the chamber must be empty. Without a permit, the ammunition and firearms must be separate, which includes no loaded magazines (I think).

Edited by bkelm18

I'm just hanging an SKS in the back of the cab.

I would venture a guess that unlike a NRA or Ruger sticker in the window, having a rifle in plain view will get your vehicle broken into.

Aside from that, I think a SKS would be about perfect as a vehicle gun.

Guest bkelm18
I would venture a guess that unlike a NRA or Ruger sticker in the window, having a rifle in plain view will get your vehicle broken into.

Aside from that, I think a SKS would be about perfect as a vehicle gun.

Nothing says "Hey I've got a gun in my car!" like an NRA sticker and an assault weapon hanging in the window. :D

Tennessee General Assembly Legislation

Only applies to permit holders and only applies to long guns. The firearm's magazines/clips may be loaded but the chamber must be empty. Without a permit, the ammunition and firearms must be separate, which includes no loaded magazines (I think).

Most hunters I have known that had a rifle with a detachable mag. had the mag loaded in the glove box and their rifle in the rack or back seat. I guess technically they were breaking the law but I think most LEO's or Game Wardens probably wouldn't care, but there's always that one a-hole that's having a bad day they might run into.

Guest bkelm18
Most hunters I have known that had a rifle with a detachable mag. had the mag loaded in the glove box and their rifle in the rack or back seat. I guess technically they were breaking the law but I think most LEO's or Game Wardens probably wouldn't care, but there's always that one a-hole that's having a bad day they might run into.

I'm not 100% certain on the mag part. From what I have read a loaded mag=a loaded gun, but that might just have been someone's interpretation.

If your wife wants to carry a loaded weapon in the car, she needs to get a permit.

AFA loaded long guns. I don't see a need to carry one all the time. The moment you need to defend yourself, you likely won't have time to get it and chamber a round. Whether you are out of your vehicle or inside it, it will be quicker and easier to draw and fire your handgun.

Guest bkelm18

I could see a need for one if you are out in the middle of no-where or going off-roading or something, but just to putter around town I don't see the need for one.

Whether you are out of your vehicle or inside it, it will be quicker and easier to draw and fire your handgun

Handgun is to be able to fight your way to the vehicle to retrieve the long gun.

BK says

Nothing says "Hey I've got a gun in my car!" like an NRA sticker and an assault weapon hanging in the window. :P

Exactly! LOL

Guest Ghostrider

I believe the Taurus Judge is the perfect vehicle gun. Just my 2 cents worth.

Yes, the first 2 410s probably won't kill him, but he can learn to read braille in prison.

The 45 LCs are for friends and family... :)