I need a pocketknife help me out

Guest eyebedam

Guest eyebedam

I hate to say it but some how I lost my stainless Spyderco Native. I know I should be thrashed for it. I honestly don't have a clue where it is. I guess jumping in & out of a semi all day I mustve come unclipped from my pocket. So it looks like I need to replace it. I've always been partial to Spydercos but I'm def open to other brands. I want something pretty nice for 75.00 or less.

I like the tactical folder springassisted style. I'm cool with either straight or partial serrations also. So please give me some suggestions & if you have a spare laying around shoot me a pm

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say it enough Spyderco is the best to purchase from. I had one (delica) where the tip broke on it (I was cutting up carpet) and I sent it in for repair. They did the best they could considering I took off about 3/4 of an inch. They also sent me an additional delica with the half and half blade and a metal clip just for my troubles.

Awesome company. I am looking at the Rescue or Rescue II

• Administrator

I have a SOG Flash II and love it. I also have a little Gerber somethingoranother with spring-assist and partially serrated blade. The Gerber tends to stay in my pocket more often than not simply because I really don't care if it gets beat to hell, dulled up, or lost.

I'd be pretty upset if I lost my SOG and it's a sub-$100 knife.

Guest Plainsman

I carry a SOG Twitch II with the assisted opening. Absolutely love it. I've had it quite some time now, carried everyday, and its held up great.

Guest Jason F.

They are on the lower end of the scale and non assisted but I have been abusing the hell out of a Columbia River Crawford Design folder. I have two CRKT knives and the steel on both is above or equal to some of the best brands out there that I have been able to handle. You can really feel the difference in the steel when you are pulling it across a stone or file if you know what you are looking for. My current everyday carry knife has been very resistant to edge chips and dings despite it being used heavily as a staple pry tool, a box cutter, tree prunner, and garden tool.

• Admin Team

I have come full circle this week. For years I carried a Spyderco rescue. It was the knife that set the standard of what a knife should be for me. Fast, sharp, good size. Then 9/11 came along and we couldn't fly with our blades anymore. I spent a lot of time in the field, and during a particular case that I was on for about 2 years, picked up a CRKT M16 and started carrying that. Another great knife, but it had some shortcomings. It was very durable, but it was a combo edge which I really don't like, and the combination of the pocket clip and the thumb stud absolutely wore out whatever pants I was wearing. I would have a pair of pants that could have lasted another couple of years had the right pocket not been so frayed by the knife. Last winter I picked up a Benchmade Pika II. I know that it was in their red 'value' series, but I expected better of Benchmade. Every knife I have ever had of theirs was outstanding, but this one was a piece of trash. Tough to put an edge on and wouldn't hold one for anything. Not to mention the pocket clip was not designed with enough tension to stay on a pair of jeans, much less a pair of suit pants.

So, all that to say a couple of weeks ago, I purchased a Spyderco Military. It is in a word everything that a knife should be in my opinion. Wickedly sharp out of the box. Fast to open and easy to close with one hand. Good pocket clip and the G10 scales are outstanding. It's big - a little bigger than the Endura - closer to the old Police model, but perfect in my hands.

You can do a little knife job with a big knife, but not vice versa. I got it for right at $100.

Guest eyebedam

Todays starting out good. I got in my truck & decided to check my fire extingusher & low & behold my pocket knife had fallen & got stuck underneath it. So my spyderco is back. It does have a little rust type discoloration from being underneath it but I should clean up really nice.

Guest db99wj
I have a SOG Flash II and love it. I also have a little Gerber somethingoranother with spring-assist and partially serrated blade. The Gerber tends to stay in my pocket more often than not simply because I really don't care if it gets beat to hell, dulled up, or lost.

I'd be pretty upset if I lost my SOG and it's a sub-$100 knife.

Looked at SOG's website, and have been eyeball'n the Flash II (Black TiNi Blade) then come back and see you have one of the Flash II's. Any more comments on this knife Dave?

db, I can't answer for David, but I love mine (Also the black TiNi blade). The only thing is to make sure to clean it every so often if you carry it everyday, or use it a lot. The spring mechanism that opens the blade tends to get sluggish when it gets loaded up with crap out of your pocket.

Guest SUNTZU
Looked at SOG's website, and have been eyeball'n the Flash II (Black TiNi Blade) then come back and see you have one of the Flash II's. Any more comments on this knife Dave?

I have the Flash II sans Black TiNi Blade. I picked it up at Lowe's, along with a Twitch. Good, durable work knife. I don't care much for pocket clips, as they always get bent/loose while working, and then they just become a PITA. But the blade is great. No wobble at all, either.

• Administrator

As I said, I love mine. The only issue that I have had with it was the plastic in the handle breaking off near the belt clip attachment. I sent it back to SOG and within 2-3 weeks had a brand new Flash II in my hand. They didn't even bother to just repair.

I will say that I don't care for the way that the safety switch is positioned on the body of the knife. It's near the heel of the handle, which makes it a little goofy for one-handed manipulation if you have the safety ON.

I'm probably going to order another SOG in a different configuration for EDC.

Guest SUNTZU
As I said, I love mine. The only issue that I have had with it was the plastic in the handle breaking off near the belt clip attachment. I sent it back to SOG and within 2-3 weeks had a brand new Flash II in my hand. They didn't even bother to just repair.

I will say that I don't care for the way that the safety switch is positioned on the body of the knife. It's near the heel of the handle, which makes it a little goofy for one-handed manipulation if you have the safety ON.

I'm probably going to order another SOG in a different configuration for EDC.

Something I want to add about the safety. I constantly bend the clip on the knife, which makes it worthless for clipping onto your pants. So I keep it in my pocket. That safety is always getting flipped to the on position, which really pisses me off when your up on a ladder trying to shut a safety off on a knife. I guess its to make sure I don't get SOG butt from the knife going ka schnick in my pocket.

Other than the safety, I like it. If I could get a clip that never bent I would be a lot happier.