Preference between .223 and 6.8

I have a brand new Bushmaster M4A3 which is .223. I am wanting to return it to swap for a 6.8 mm. I am interested in some feedback from other members for their opinion on this subject. I imagine it has been covered before, however, Maybe opinions have changed somewhat since then. I have called the manuf's and all say between 4-10 Months for a new one. SOOOO, In your opinion, Should I wait to shoot this New AR, and retain it's return value, Or is there an opinion in which would make my decision permanant? I have 1 extra Alum. magazine, also 1 Magpull composite mag. 19 tracer,19 fed. and 100 XM-193 rounds. I have a collection of ammo in my office, that's why there is 19 of each. I keep 1 of every kind of round of gun I have. I Just had to keep One Tracer also. I would be willing to give all the 223 magazines and ammo with the Bushmaster to trade for a 6.8 just plain. Am I going in the right direction, or just being stupid without enough education? I've been thinking about knock down power vs. carry weight. Thanks for any Serious opinions you may have to offer.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had two different 5.56 uppers and two 6.8. I really like the 6.8 for the added versatility. I can hunt everything the 5.56 can and add some of the bigger game as well. When I got my first 6.8 (Ko-tonics) ammo prices were quite a bit higher and made it hard to justify. I ended up selling that one (wish I hadn't). Nowadays it is much more reasonable, especially considering the rise in prices of everything else. Silver State is also about to release some "plinking" rounds that are going to make it even better to shoot the 6.8.

My suggestion would be to keep the 5.56 upper and just get a 6.8 upper. There are a couple of new custom builders doing really good builds for reasonable prices - Bison Armory and Titan Armory.

Check out the 6.8 forum as well. Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com - Powered by vBulletin

I've been thinking about knock down power vs. carry weight. Thanks for any Serious opinions you may have to offer.

Unless either of the following statements apply to you; wouldn’t 7.62 NATO (.308 Winchester) be a more practical choice?

1. I am too weak to carry .308 ammo.

2. With my “shot placement†skills caliber is irrelevant.

Guest ar15m4guy

I would keep the gun and buy a new upper for it. You will also need the mags of course but its more fun when you have two guns to shoot rather than one. I am a big time coyote hunter but i love to deer hunt also. I dont want to shoot coyotes with the 6.8 because it ruins the hyde by putting a huge hole in it and the stopping power of the .223 is missing for deer hunting. So if you plan to hunt or just like to shoot diffrent cal. then this is what I am suggesting.

Guest GunTroll

From where I sit, 223 is going to be around for sometime as our nations main military and LE caliber for AR's. I always think of the whole end of the world thing and economic fallout specifically. .223 will be more plentiful and there for, higher in value as bartering tool. And if your wheels are turning you can see where I'm going with this. Take it off you enemy basically when he doesn't need it any longer. I know I must sound like I wear a tin foil hat when I say this stuff but its back there in my brain.

But on the other hand 6.8 is a winner. Great advantages over the 223.

It would have to come down to what is the main purpose of this rifle for you.

I'd save up the money and have both uppers!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for a 6.8 to arrive at the gun shop. I'm still waiting for now. They say they haven't seen a 7.62 for several months. 7.62 would be a happy choice for me because I'm not a little fella. The 7.62 rounds are available in bulk at the Outpost Armory. I'm not sure if the 7.62 is available with a 16" barell and adjustable stock. I've been waiting for a Stag Model 5 from Guns and Leather. I'll go with the 6.8 if I can get one before I get completely tired of waiting. I want to shoot my rifle. I'll pay for what I want, but what good is that if you can't get either one?:)

Not really interested in the uppers. Why not just have Two rifles?

Edited by flyanything

Well Dennis at Guns and Leather came through for me. I got a Stag Model 5. It shoots great. I've already added an Alum. 4-Rail, Hoague grip, Carry handle, Tactical scope w/laser, QD sling and stock with butt pad and cheek rests. This thing is sweet. Now I just need to stock up on ammo. I traded off all my 5.56 ammo. Got my wife the Springfield XD9 the same day so she's happy too.:chill:

• 3 months later...

Well I added a Trijicon RX-30 with ARMS throw lever mount. I decided to go with the GG&G gas block with flip-up sight and flip up rear sight also. Any recomendation for the gas piston conversion that works well with the 6.8? I would like to keep my UTG 4-rail handguard, that's where thr problem comes in. Thanks for any input.

I got my Bushmaster 6.8SPC rebarrelled by Bison Armory. It didn't take more than 2 weeks including shipping times to Washington. They also do custom uppers and thier barrels are 416 stainless steel. No need to wait for the cookie cutter manufacturers to ship overpriced uppers when you can build (or custom build) one with the correct specs (SPCII chamber and 4 groove 11:1 twist barrel). I like the 6.8 over 5.56 for many reasons. One being the better performance from 16" or less barrels (why the 6.8 was developed) than the 5.56.

100_1394.jpg

Edited by LA_357SIG
  • 1 month later...

I liked the RX-30 alot, it is one awesome sight, But, in the end I decided to buy an Acog for this rifle. I needed magnification. Saved up more money. I could have bought a flip to side magnifier and even paid more overall than the Acog. Just got the A.R.M.S mount for it. I wish someone would make a flip-to-side mount for the Acog. That way I could go to Iron sights right away. I did some work by Ft. Campbell Ky. and stopped in the local gun shops. One person said that the 6.8 was going to be phased out. Are there any opinions on this? Are 6.8's being phased out???

Edited by flyanything
rethought
What's up with a Gun and Tactictal Dealer close to Ft. Campbell saying 6.8 is being phased out? Do I need to dump this thing fast?

Eh, some folks have been saying that since before the caliber came out. Some just don't know, and some think they know. Military adoption is not what is driving the round anymore than the 6.5 Grendel. I'd say you are fine.

If what he said was true, fewer manufacturers would be building these. As it is all the majors and most of the specialty guys have them in their lineup.

6.8 is here to stay. I haven't seen any 6.8's in town. When I ask, I've heard the same.

They don't have a clue. Some things just take time. Bison is sold out and waiting on barrels. I got a barrel from him and have a couple of the Titan barrels. Barrett, Rock River, Bushmaster, Noveske, LWRC, etc. They'll be around for a while. Which one told you that? He probably has too much of something else he needs to sell.

If anything, 5.56mm will be phased out. It underperforms every competitor.

Instead of selling a complete, working 5.56mm rifle, why not just buy a new upper receiver assembly in 6.8? Uppers are much less expensive than a new rifle, and it's easy to change calibers by pulling two pins and putting the new upper on.

The 6.8 or 6.5Grendel are both excellent choices for the AR15 platform. The 6.8 excels in shorter barrels and at closer ranges, while the 6.5 really starts to shine out of at least 18" and is capable of excellent long-range accuracy.

I would keep the ability to fire the cheaper 5.56mm ammo for a while, though.

Sounds about right to me. It will take a while to really catch on. I don't want to mention the name of the store, but it was on the main drag just down the road from the entrance. I have been shooting Barrett ammo. The Outpost armory usually stocks it and plenty of other brands. The REC7 would be nice,but pricey for me. I've got the Stag Model 5. With the price of my ACOG, I would be pretty close, but no ACOG. I'll keep the Stag and ACOG. Thanks for the input.

Guest clsutton21
Sounds about right to me. It will take a while to really catch on. I don't want to mention the name of the store, but it was on the main drag just down the road from the entrance. I have been shooting Barrett ammo. The Outpost armory usually stocks it and plenty of other brands. The REC7 would be nice,but pricey for me. I've got the Stag Model 5. With the price of my ACOG, I would be pretty close, but no ACOG. I'll keep the Stag and ACOG. Thanks for the input.

Check out SSA. They make some amazingly hot rounds.

I'm still waiting for a 6.8 to arrive at the gun shop. I'm still waiting for now. They say they haven't seen a 7.62 for several months. 7.62 would be a happy choice for me because I'm not a little fella. The 7.62 rounds are available in bulk at the Outpost Armory. I'm not sure if the 7.62 is available with a 16" barell and adjustable stock. I've been waiting for a Stag Model 5 from Guns and Leather. I'll go with the 6.8 if I can get one before I get completely tired of waiting. I want to shoot my rifle. I'll pay for what I want, but what good is that if you can't get either one?:)

Not really interested in the uppers. Why not just have Two rifles?

POF makes some of the sweetest 7.62 AR's you will ever lay your hands on... (if you are that lucky)

check them out...

POF-USA Patriot Ordnance Factory, Inc.

• 1 month later...

I've thought about that gadget, too, but I'm happy without it, too. I'm just not convinced that a piston would do anything for a semiauto AR, except maybe a

cooler and cleaner bolt carrier. If you like the SSA ammo, try some of the 85 grain

Barnes they have. Close to 3000 fps. Accurate and fast.