Considering OWB carry

I've been doing IWB carry while alternating my 1911 and G19 for about 4 years now. Although, I'm comfortable with IWB, is OWB is more comfortable day to day?

The only reason I ask is because I just recently purchased a Sig p239 .40 that included a Kirkpatrick OWB holster. I want the Sig to be my EDC, but not sure if OWB is the way to go yet. Should I just get another IWB holster to carry since I'm used to it, or give OWB a chance and see how well it works?

I wear untucked button down shirts every day (work or otherwise) to cover my EDC. So, dress shouldn't be an issue.

user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

I too have grown quite fond of OWB carry, but concealed. I dress exactly like you with untucked dress shirts. Recently I have been carrying a Kahr CW45 in a Gould & Goodrich yaqui slide. It holds it in pretty tight. But even today, all day, I carried a full-size XD45 Service (a behemoth) in a Don Hume JIT slide with no discomfort or problems. As you well know, it's all about the belt!!

I say go for it!

I OWB every day, most day's it's a S&W M&P40C in a Bianchi "carrylock" holster. the last 2 or 3 weeks it has been a Beretta 96D in the same carry configuration. I wear "golf" type shirts and it stays covered "most" of the time. I like the Carry lock holsters since it has the positive lock with out the "thumb break snap".

+1 for OWB. Once you get used to it I think you will only go IWB if you have to. Since you have the rig and your attire will acomodate it I'd say give it a try, you don't have any thing to loose and plenty of comfort to gain. Just my :D.

• Administrator
I'd like to try one of those OWB holsters made by Raven Concealment myself. I'd only use it in the winter personally, when I'm wearing a coat that keeps me CC'ing.

I just received two more for my collection. I now have a Phantom from Raven Concealment for my M&P and additionally my Glock 19 and my Kimber Warrior 1911. The Raven is by far the most comfortable and low-profile of any OWB holster that I have tried to date.

As long as I wear a loose, long T-Shirt, I am able to cover any of these three weapons with ease using these holsters.

Carry Lok is a great holster. My XD-9 and Baby Eagle both hide easily with an untuckeded shirt. I started out IWB, but it was never quite comfortable for me. Try the new way around the house for a while and see what happens. What works for one may or may not be right for another.

I've recently started carrying my G30 OWB in a Comptac paddle and it's the cat's meow. Shirt just has to be big enough. Works good with an untucked shirt. Quicker for me to get to it also. I wear it with a shirt tucked in if I'm going to drive thru late at night though.

I havent tried OWB unconcealed in a store. I normally wear kahkis,polo tucked in or jeans and tshirt or polo tucked in, clean cut looking guy but scared I may get tall black man in aisle 10 with a gun reports. Although I have seen quite of few guys carrying open lately

I've been carrying OWB the last few days around the house to get a feel for it... So far it's very comfortable and conceals well with an untucked button down shirt. Not to mention, I can tighten my belt to where it's supposed to be :puke:

I'd try it outside the house if I could find some 40 S&W to load it. Ammo is pretty scarce in Knoxville at the moment it appears. Unless I want to pay $20+ per box at the local range.