S&W Sigma .40VE

Guest logicprevails

Guest logicprevails

I know, it's the wannabe Glock. But, I just couldn't pass up one LNIB unfired for $200. Thing is, I have no first hand experience with shooting them. I've heard all the 1st gen horror stories about how it wouldn't feed anything reliably without first coating it with mercury, the trigger required a come-along and how the striker was made of balsa. I'm assuming that the 'enhanced' version has remedied functional reliability somewhat.

Who has some helpful info? Who thinks I should use it as a fishing weight and who sees merit in it? Not trying to start any controversy, here. Just asking those in the know to weigh in to help me make a decision on whether to keep and carry, keep and relegate to range/plinking, or throw it as far away from my person as possible.

Thanks all!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For $200 bucks you can't lose! The trigger is stout, but no worse than that of a double action revolver, or a Kel-Tec P11. Sometimes a stout trigger is a good thing.

By the way, if you take it apart, do NOT remove the cotton ball inside the trigger spring. It is there to dampen vibrations, and extend the life of the spring.

The Sigma is a great gun. I have had two in the past, and another one is on the way. I hope to hang on to this one.

Congrats on a great buy!

Guest ar15m4guy

I think you got a steal. I had the standard .40ve two tone. I liked it. It was my first hand gun and I should have kept it for that reason but we all know about Hard Times! If I wanted to get an inexpensive gun It would be this one. I say keep it, shoot it, and then decide. I think for most people it is how it feels in your hands.

the Sigmas are decent guns, i believe they are well made, if you can live with the trigger then. I kinda like the trigger, for some odd reason. at the range i've had people bringing me the gun saying it broken and does not shoot well, and then i go and shoot the x ring with it.

Guest logicprevails

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm feelin' kinda good about the gun now that I've had a chance to fondle it. It's not pretty (I'm a 1911 guy) and does have a squishy, spongy, long, hard trigger (I can live with that with practice). So I guess it's off to the range to feed the beast a variety of fodder to see if it chokes on anything.

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm feelin' kinda good about the gun now that I've had a chance to fondle it. It's not pretty (I'm a 1911 guy) and does have a squishy, spongy, long, hard trigger (I can live with that with practice). So I guess it's off to the range to feed the beast a variety of fodder to see if it chokes on anything.

If the trigger is still that bad then it has NOT been shot much, I got about 500 rounds through mine, the trigger will straighten up some and begin to feel better. It won't ever get "good" but will not be so spongy.

I had one of the same guns and I really liked it. I don't think you could do any better for what they cost, and NO better for what you paid! Heck, even if it happens that you don't like it.....you can make $100 with your eyes closed! You did GREAT!!! :puke:

I have the exact same pistol as my first gun. I love it but I don't yet know any better ;-). Ignorance is bliss. Taking a borrowed Ruger P-89 to the range tomorrow, so that may change my whole outlook. But hey, if my Sigma is as difficult to shoot as many complain it is, I should be a crack shot with the Ruger...

Guest logicprevails

Well, after pushing a hundred + ball and 165 grain HP's through it, I'm quite pleased. It had a tendency to shoot about 2" low at 21 ft....taking a larger bead, it shot level with point of aim. It was definitely harder to group with than my 1911's, or even my wife's PT145 (surprisingly cool little thing), averaging about 3" slow fire, weaver. Heck after a bit, I was able to double tap it center of mass consistently within about 5". The trigger did seem to improve a hair toward then end of the hundred or so, but that could have been me just getting used to it. Overall, I'm quite pleased for $200 NIB. Now to order that steel guide rod and get rid of that plastic one.

Did you have any jams/double feeds? I used to have one and that was what plagued me. I personally like the heavy trigger pull on a gun without a safety, though I think my XD 40's is a bit more pleasant. Other than the jams, I liked the feel ok and it seemed to site well for me.

Ive got sigma 9mm first generation that was a birthday gift from my stepfather. It was his and it gave him fits, but I replaced the guide rod spring and polished the feed ramp and it has been 100% since then. I have shot it back to back with my G-19 and they are very similar and about half the expense. I would not have passed up that deal either.

I used to own an SW40VE. I really liked the gun, but it started developing feeding issues that spring replacements and a trip back to S&W did not fix. I later owned an SW9VE that was reliable and quite accurate. I eventually got used to the trigger and it was no longer an issue for me.

Guest logicprevails
Did you have any jams/double feeds? I used to have one and that was what plagued me. I personally like the heavy trigger pull on a gun without a safety, though I think my XD 40's is a bit more pleasant. Other than the jams, I liked the feel ok and it seemed to site well for me.

Nope, no feed problems. The mags with it seem to work well so far and only let one round through at a time.

Guest RISC777

Got one. No problems at all with it.

I did do some work on the trigger. But only because I wanted to, not our of a dislike or need. It will never feel like a 1911, but it is much smoother and less pound/pull.

Guest m&p40

I have the 9VE and it is flawless. I even have a little trick to reduce the trigger to a nice smooth and crisp 6lbs. :rolleyes: After the trigger is reduced, the gun is perfect especially for the money. I got mine brand new for $300