Scout Rifles

Guest SUNTZU

Guest SUNTZU

Ammo is my concern with the Garand. That and using the clips. Sportsman's Guide sells a plastic block that makes it single shot, but I don't think I'll have ammo to feed it for too long. Its too much fun to shoot.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For kicks and function both. It's something you don't see a lot of, but at the same time it should be a fast handling rifle for whatever you may need it for.

Iron sites are a biggy for me too. I don't like rifles that are glass only.

I'm going to have to come to one of your all's shoots. Finding time between a wife and three active kids is a problem though!

Got the ear muffs! My son would definitely come. Oldest daughter might come too. No way on the youngest. She hates even fireworks. Weekends are full between all the sports they play. I've only been able to get to the range twice since March.

I got several things to shoot, nothing to exotic though.

I've been looking into building a scout rifle out of a Mosin or other inexpensive rifle after reading a recent issue of Backwoodsman magazine. I toyed with the idea of making my Remington 7600 in .308 a scout rifle. I know its not a bolt action, but it is a rifle I already own. The way the 7600 is made, however, doesn't lend itself to a forward mounted optic. Do any of you guys have scout rifles, especially inexpensive ones? If so, I'd like to hear from you and see some pictures to get some ideas.

Thanks!

Sun Tzu

Check out XS Sight Systems (formerly AO Sight Systems I think). I know they sell some scout scope mounts and various sights. Not sure if they sell one for the Remington.

Guest FroggyOne2

SUNTZU.. you need to get with me.. i can point you in the right direction with the Garand Scout Rifle project.. I know just what to do..

Guest AmericanWorkMule

oh?

I'm interested to know also.

SUNTZU.. you need to get with me.. i can point you in the right direction with the Garand Scout Rifle project.. I know just what to do..
Guest AmericanWorkMule

That looks as cool as a Lazer Pizza Cutter!

I don’t have a Scout rifle, but I have a Scout scope set-up on a Garand.

M1Garand2089.jpg

Guest SUNTZU

I don't know. I've just started looking. I was leaning towards doing work to my 7600, but I'm going to talk to Mr. Frog about his Wild Garand Scout Project.

• 3 months later...
None here as of yet. I have done lots of other things I've been told to do since we got the house. That's fun.

I spent the afternoon prying up base boards, carpet, and carpet padding (then all the staples in the sub floor from the carpet pad), I feel ya :)

I really want one in .308, and I've seen some kinda cool ones made from Enfield Ishy 2A's. I think a re-barreled K98 could be alright too.

Someone started a thread on M4c titled "Modern "Fighting Bolt Gun" Hypothetical" which seems to have pretty quickly turned into a scout rifle thread.

Some of the cooler pics from the thread:

354917478.jpg

22ndSAS.jpg

100_0981.jpg

• 1 year later...

I went through a Scout rifle phase but didn't want to spend lots of money on ammo or get 'recoiled' to death so I made up a couple of light weight pseudo Scout rifles in .223 and 30-30. But have since decided for my practical purposes a 20 gauge Mossberg works best. The Remington was especially fun to shoot with its shortened barrel and nice 3 point sling.

MarlinScoutblack.jpg

Rem700223Scout.jpg

MarlinScout.jpg

I went through a Scout rifle phase but didn't want to spend lots of money on ammo or get 'recoiled' to death so I made up a couple of light weight pseudo Scout rifles in .223 and 30-30. But have since decided for my practical purposes a 20 gauge Mossberg works best. The Remington was especially fun to shoot with its shortened barrel and nice 3 point sling.

MarlinScoutblack.jpg

Rem700223Scout.jpg

MarlinScout.jpg

Sweet Scouts! I really like the first lever action!!!