Scout Rifles

Guest SUNTZU

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bluemax

This is the best I could do on my budget for a scout rifle. Nothing fancy, but shoots well

100_0743.jpg?t=1246572582

Edited by Bluemax

I would think a Spanish Mauser a FR-7 or a FR-8 would make a dandy little Scout Rifle. They are fairly lite and compact. However they aren't that cheap anymore.

Here is one I found on gunbroker.com. Check it out, if your not familiar with them. There is also one FR-7 there. You can search for it. The difference between the two is the FR-7 was built on the Mauser 93 action and the FR-8 was built on the M43 (Mauser 98) action and is much stronger. It's not recommended that you shoot .308 winchester through a FR-7, only 7.62x51 NATO because of the higher pressures in .308. 308 is just fine through the FR-8.

Oh great! You all sucked me in on this thread! I've been looking for an FR-8 online for sale for the last hour or so. I did find this guy's picture of a FR-8 Scout Rifle. It's at the very bottom of the thread. See what you think about it!

Official "UGLY STICK" Thread - Sniper's Hide Forums

BTW this rifle weights in at 7.5 lbs. Pretty light for a Milsurp!

Now I'm also thinking about taking a Isaphore 2a that I have and making Scout out of it. Here is a picture of one a fella did. Looks really good! It's the second post down from the top.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5131048

The problem I have with this one is replacing the existing site base with the scope. Again if something happens to the scope then you have no sites.

Edited by Moped
Guest SUNTZU

Well I like it, Moped. I was talking to another guy and he mentioned that his friend used a Mossberg ATR that he picked up used for $200.00.

Mark said his physique is overly developed. Well, I make a hell of a hiding spot for someone else. :tinfoil: I like the idea of the scout rifle. It intrigues me. I like the idea of a quick release scope and still using iron sights. I think having the iron sights is important behind the idea of the scout rifle.

I've always wanted a Scout Rifle chambered in .308. Almost had one once. I was in Charlie's Pawn over on Kingston Pike several years ago and there was a Ruger M77 .308 Scout! I traded a S&W 4505 for it. I was proud as punch til I got a letter left on my door a few weeks later from the Knox County Sherriff's Department, saying I needed to be concerned about the where abouts of a certain Ruger Rifle. Seems it had been part of a gun collection that was stolen down in Georgia. I had to give it up to a detective over at KCSD. Charlie's had unfortuately already sold my old pistol, so we agreed on a price and they gave me the money and apologized for the whole mess.

I've heard the Mossy's are decent guns!

I've been thinking some more about the ironsite problem. I think you could mount a long picattany rail forward of the chamber and mount your scope. Then also have one of those flat top AR rear sites on hand. That would do the trick, I think. Something like this!

http://www.ar15pro.com/item/168311_MIDWEST_INDUSTRIES_Sights__Lasers_MIDWEST_LOW_PROFILE_FLIP_.aspx

Edited by Moped
Guest SUNTZU

That sucks about the rifle, at least you received money for it. I found a picture of an ATI rail on a 7600, but I don't know anything about its worthiness. I think this would work.

7600_factory_barrel_2.gif

Nothing against the SKS (they are great little rifles), but I like the 7.62x51 NATO round better for the power. I already have an old Isaphore 2A that has been bubbized that I bought for less than a $100. I have plenty of 7.62x51 rounds for it too. I think Suntzu is looking at the samething with the Mosin.

Plus it looks like a fun project if I have the guts to go through with it. :tough:

so is this scout rifle thing more for fun or kicks than functionality?

I am not so sure that a EBR is not a better scout rifle than any old bolt rifle could be.

So is it for kicks or are you all serious about this?

Guest SUNTZU

I want functionality, but using a rifle that I own. I've read that most of the modifications can be done at home, and I don't have much experience with doing mods since I haven't had a workshop...til now. So I'm getting my feet wet, and also want to make a scout rifle that I've been thinking about for awhile.

I am following you Daniel, but isn't the whole concept of a scout rifle such as this thread is suggesting kind of dated?

Far be it for me to say it is not a worthy project. I love milsurps and all that.

i am just trying to get a grasp on all of this.

I think it looks cool and would be a great addition to a collection.

but as far as really being funtional I am not so sure.