I'm shocked!

Verne

Saturday will be the six month date since I made my Del-Ton rifle kit order. So out of curiosity today I called to see how much longer they "thought" it would be. A very nice young lady answered the phone and told me it would be started Monday and shipped by the end of next week. The next words our of my mouth were "Huh?" She repeated the same and said a lot of people had been canceling orders. There was a catch though. I had originally wanted a chromed bolt carrier group but they are on back order with no restock in sight. So I changed it and should have the kit in a week or two. Really glad that no one wanted to buy the lower when I listed it Saturday.

For the offical stuff: Order placed January 4th 2009.

16" Mid-Length Rifle Kit

[16 Rifle Kit - ML Barrel DTI 16" 1x9 Mid-Length Chrome Lined Heavy Barrel]

[16 Rifle Kit / Rifle -ML Handguards:YHM 4 Rail Light Weight Free Float Tube]

[Rifle Kit / Rifle -BC:Chrome Bolt & Carrier] On Back Order Replaced with standard BCG

[Rifle Kit / Rifle -Buttstock:M4 Buttstock - Black]

[Rifle Kit / Rifle -Grips:Ergo Grip - Right hand]

[Rifle Kit / Rifle-Carrying Handle:None]

[Rifle Kit / Rifle-Flash Hiders:3 Prong Flash Hider]

[Rifle Kit / Rifle-Gas Blocks:YHM Specter Gas Block]

[Rifle Kit / Rifle-Lower Parts:Standard Lower Parts]

[Rifle Kit / Rifle-T Handle:Standard Charging Handle]

[Rifle Kit / Rifle-Uppers:Flat Top Upper with T-Marks]

Now I just need ammo!!!!

Verne

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really didn't think it would be here till September or later, more later. One of the reasons why I put the lower up for sale. Was going to use it to fund another purchase but oh well it will wait.

I placed an order for a hand full of parts in early march. one being a standard bolt carrier group. I waited 12 or 13 weeks and I finally called they told me another month at least. I said screw that and placed an order with Rock river. RRA said max of 10 days till it shipped but I ended up having the parts in hand in less than 8 days. In the end I paid $20 more for the parts from RRA vs Del-ton. Oh well...

On the other hand I don't really blame Del-ton for their way of doing business. Instead of going out and hiring a mass number of employees to get all the MANY EXTRA orders filled. They just kept their regular staff for the most part. They may have added a few employees. And now that everyone in America has ordered 2 AR's and extra parts what would happen to all those extra employees?

Once all theses companies get caught up there is going to be a huge surplus of parts. As someone else posted about lowers already going down in price. Sure the trigger group is hard to come by and rather expensive right now just give it a few more months.

Guest Jeremey

It is funny that at one time you could not get a chrome lined barrel so everyone switched to chrome molly, not its the other way around:screwy:

Guest db99wj
It is funny that at one time you could not get a chrome lined barrel so everyone switched to chrome molly, not its the other way around:screwy:

No kidding.

Guest tarheel78

I ordered a custom DT upper back in early November.

It took just over 7 1/2 months in "processing" status, but it did finally arrive in June. To expedite things, I also gave up on the chrome BCG and 1X7 bbl, and that got things moving. They did a great job packing it, and it shot great right of the box, exactly as ordered, no issues so far. Was it worth the wait? For an extra toy, yes. If it had been the first one, probably excruciating for a 1st timer. Oh yes, there was a red tag attached listing mostly Russian-made ammo types that will "void" the warranty.

Despite the long wait, I still give high marks to DT for value and customer service in boom times.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest db99wj
Well something delayed it a few days. It will be in my hands tomorrow though. Is your avatar a picture of Max? Damn evil dog of yours.

Credit card expired? Just kidding, saw several posts on ar 15 dot com that that happened to! Mine is still stripped nekkid. Will be putting it together this weekend. Don't want to do it after work, too tired and irritable, don't want to mess it up.:D

Guest Linoge
Wow, that's crazy. Just to think, you could have picked up any number of pre-built AR's of equal or better quality since then. Del-Ton really needs to get on the ball.

Heh, I did just that.

I (thought I) placed my order with Del-Ton on 15DEC08, for nothing more than a relatively mundane upper (no lower necessary).

On 14APR09, I received an upper from Michael Z. Williamson (yes, that Michael Z. Williamson).

I called Del-Ton the day afterwards to cancel, and they told me that they had absolutely no record of my order, whatsoever... Granted, I understand that their order load has been... substantial... but if that is their idea of "customer service", I will gladly take my business elsewhere.

By the by, Mike makes outstanding uppers. He will not fiddle with the lower any (for obvious legal reasons), but I highly recommend him for everything else.

Congratulations on getting your order, though, Verne. It actually sounds kind of similar to what I wanted :).

Edited by Linoge

Here it is. Only had one mishap and that was when putting the set screw that hold the rear detent in on the lower. "Ping" and the hunt was on. Took me about 20 minutes to find the set screw.

Put 60 rounds through it Friday after I got it done with out a problem.

AR.jpg

Edited by Verne
Guest db99wj
Here it is. Only had one mishap and that was when putting the set screw that hold the rear detent in on the lower. "Ping" and the hunt was on. Took me about 20 minutes to find the set screw.

Put 60 rounds through it Friday after I got it done with out a problem.

AR.jpg

Man, ha ha, you shot that detent pin across the room...man, ha ha, that's funny right there :):)

My wife found mine.

Held on to the the detent and spring. The set screw that holds it into place on the TI lower is what launched. It is smaller than the detent and black to top it all. Luckly I have a good magnet. Sweep kitchen, swipe with magnet repeat until found.

Guest Linoge

Nice lookin' piece of hardware you have there. I sympathize on the "finding itty bits" thing... launched both fore and aft mounting pin detents, and had to find one of them (thankfully, the parts kit I got came with a spare detent).

I hear people who build lowers frequently make a cardboard box with holes cut in it for their arms and put a piece of clear plastic across the top... seems a bit excessive, but I can understand the motivation.