WTF, Washington State vs Suppressors

Guest gcrookston

Guest gcrookston

May be approaching a move to Washington State the first of August. Checking local gun laws...

You can own, buy and sell legal suppressors per the BATF Regs... You just can't use them for their intended purpose (that's a felony).

I knew machine guns were that way from when I lived there 1989-91 and we'd go down to Oregon to shoot... but I never considered Suppressors as being in the same category.

Oh well, I guess mine'll stay in their boxes so I won't get in trouble if someone hears me make a pleasant "pop"...

:D

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can own, buy and sell legal suppressors per the BATF Regs... You just can't use them for their intended purpose (that's a felony).

Oh well, I guess mine'll stay in their boxes so I won't get in trouble if someone hears me make a pleasant "pop"...

:D

I know I will regret this, but what do you consider the intended purpose of suppressors?

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
May be approaching a move to Washington State the first of August. Checking local gun laws...

;)

FWTW, I used to live in Washington State. Specifically, I lived in a neighborhood on the north edge of downtown Seattle called Queen Anne. We spent most of our free time in downtown. Walked or rode the bus everywhere when we were in town. Never drove the car in town except to work up in Everett. We also did lots of camping, hiking, skiing in the mountains east of Seattle (Snoqualmie Pass) and also down by Rainier. Also spent some time fishing near Yakima. We didn't go east of the mountains too often other than to go to concerts at the Gorge Amphitheater at George, WA. Vancouver, BC is also an awesome city to hang out in over long weekends and it's a pretty quick drive.

Do I have a point? Well, yes actually. I don't know what part of WA you are moving to, but I really really enjoyed living there. I never once ever considered owning a gun when I lived there (that changed when I moved to Memphis). And I spent a significant amount of time in "the big city", which really isn't that big once you get to know it. And even though WA is on the "left coast", eastern and western Washington are kind of like different states, liberal west of the Cascades and conservative east of the Cascades. Since I lived in Seattle I felt like everyone was left of me there, but now I feel that everyone is right of me here. Go figure. There are a lot of different things to do out there. I feel pretty stifled in that regard in Memphis, where we have no mountains (or even hills really).

Color me green with envy. I'd love to move back to WA someday if the housing price crash hits Seattle really hard.

Guest gcrookston

I lived in Bothell 1989-91 and had a Class III HK at the time and we'd go down to Oregon to shoot. At that time it was legal to own machine guns in WA, you just couldn't shoot them there. Owning Suppressors never occurred to me until I came to TN in '07.

We are contemplating living on the base at Ft. Lewis (rent and utility free), while I continue to seek employment in my field and wait-out the recession. The good news is they have a public pistol and rifle range right on base. The bad news is no one cannot hear my toys...

Color me green with envy. I'd love to move back to WA someday if the housing price crash hits Seattle really hard.

I agree...I have spent a good amount of time there too. I have to say that to me it is one of the most beautiful places in the world. They really do have that much to offer.

They do have a similar situation as Illinois to where the vast majority of the land area is filled with people like you and me, but the big city unfortunately has enough clout to distort the image of the whole state.

I would sell every thing I own right now (as in where do I sign) to live in Vancouver, BC for 10 years with a high paying job.

Guest gcrookston
I would sell every thing I own right now (as in where do I sign) to live in Vancouver, BC for 10 years with a high paying job.

It and Houston are the only two places I've ever lived where lichen and moss grow on cars during Monsoon season. ...And we are selling most of what we own, including almost all our furniture.

"They do have a similar situation as Illinois to where the vast majority of the land area is filled with people like you and me, but the big city unfortunately has enough clout to distort the image of the whole state."

Plus eleventy. I grew up in IL (both outside of Rockford and NW Suburbs of Chi), and it's full of good "salt of the Earth" people. Once you get 10 or 20 miles outside of Cook County, the Daley tentacles start losing their reach, machine politics subside, and sanity starts to take hold.

Inside the city? Visit it often, live in it never.