Ladys handbag for carry

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has an older style Galco. It definately works and is built like a tank. Downside is that it is so well built its heavy and on the large side for a purse, especially for a smaller woman, like my wife who is 5'1"

Guest HexHead

The common wisdom is that carry purses are a bad idea. Purses get snatched, and if losing your wallet isn't bad enough, now you've lost a gun too.

Guest HexHead
Common wisdom isnt always right for everyone in every case.

But thanks for the negitive side :)

Just relaying what my wife was told when we were considering getting her one. :D

If a person carries in a purse built for carry, the idea is to have your hand on your weapon when in places susceptable to purse snatching so if your purse is taken you are left with your weapon in your hand.....at least that is how I understand some who use them execute their uses.

Guest dizzielizzie
I think a gun with a lady, no matter how she carries is, is better than one left at home.

-Jason G

Well thank you! My old man feels the same...!

JeffsSig - there are previous posts discussing handbag carry... but I believe the majority says 1) NO and 2) don't do it they got theirs snatched - and 3) if you must, a purse that you can carry across your body would be best because it's harder for someone to snatch it.

Well thank you! My old man feels the same...!

JeffsSig - there are previous posts discussing handbag carry... but I believe the majority says 1) NO and 2) don't do it they got theirs snatched - and 3) if you must, a purse that you can carry across your body would be best because it's harder for someone to snatch it.

+1 Dizzielizzie!

I'm one that has had my purse snatched.....with my gun in it. The police recovered my gun over a year ago (it was used in a shooting but no one was injured) but I still haven't gotten it back. Problem is that my insurance co. paid me for my losses (minus a $250 deductible) so if the police do return the gun, it actually now belongs to the insurance co. However, I was told by my agent that I would have the oppurtunity to buy it back if it was recovered.....but I haven't heard a word. When I contacted the detective (over a year ago) about the possibility of getting the gun back after it was no longer needed as evidence.....he was a jerk to me on the phone and said "in certain situations we never give the evidence back" and "didn't your insurance pay you for your loss?" I explained that the insurance had paid, but that I would be given the oppurtunity to buy it back from my ins. co. when they got it back. He was still a jerk and pretty much said they probably wouldn't be giving it back. I called my adjuster and told her......she said that she would call them herself.....but I've not heard anything from anyone. I don't think I'll ever see that gun again.

So.....I'm definitely against purse carry....UNLESS you do exactly as dizzielizzie says.....get one that you carry across your body and NEVER SET IT DOWN! I would try to explore all the other options though before I decided to purse carry. I really feel that BELLY BANDS are the way to go for women that don't want to wear a belt. You can dress any way you like and combined with a nice lightweight gun, you'll forget it's there. :screwy:

Thanks everyone for all the info.

It is for my wife and not me as I am sure you know.

This would be for only certain times and not a everyday carry thing.

But I will talk with her about the info you guys have shared.

thanks!!

Guest 2HOW

Its a bad idea to carry off body, I know women have a hard time due to body structure. My wife made her own rig. If at all possible do not carry off body. There are legal problems and just plain old negligence involved.

Guest blackbeltchick

I bought a real nice leather purse from the gun store in Whitesburg. Only cost me $40.00 and does have an ajustable strap. I don't carry purses very often but I do like this one alot. In addition to the gun and normal compartments, it has compartments on the ends. One end has my pepper spray in it and the other end has my cell phone. I've carried my Kel Tec P-11 and my P-32 in it and I just bought a RIA Compact M1911 .45 that fits as well. I don't know about other women that carry, but I have trouble finding the right holster, With the holsters I have, I seem to have a hard time getting my gun out. With this purse, I have easy access and the gun comes out easily.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest blackbeltchick

Just bought a concealed leather bag from Classic Leathers. It straps on like a fanny pack, but it's different. He has two more like it left, $29.99. I use mine for my motorcycle. Thought I'd let you know of another option.

Just bought a concealed leather bag from Classic Leathers. It straps on like a fanny pack, but it's different. He has two more like it left, $29.99. I use mine for my motorcycle. Thought I'd let you know of another option.

Sounds interesting! Can you post a pic?

Also, where is Classic Leathers?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blackbeltchick
DSCF3638.jpgHere you can see that it has three compartments. Back one is for what ever gun you carry. The middle could be used for a smaller gun, the front for cell phone or whatever. Like I said before, It works real well when on my bike. DSCF3637.jpg

That bag looks pretty cool BBC! I'm going to have to go into Classic Leathers one day and check them out.

Hey, what kind of .45 is that? Have you heard of "Esmeralda?" She makes custom wood grips and she does some absolutely beautiful work! That 1911 would look even prettier with a set of her grips on there! ;)

Here's my Springfield Armory EMP with grips by Emeralda on it....they're cocobolo wood with Celtic checkering and a Celtic cross. She works with many different exotic woods that she goes and handpicks herself, and she has several styles of checkering and engravings to choose from too.

EMPwithCross1.jpg

Edited by PackinMama
Guest blackbeltchick

That is my Rock Island Armory 1911A1 compact. No, I haven't heard of Esmeralda, but those are some beautiful grips you have on your Springfield! ;) Is she local or is this someone on the web? I like to see more of her work!