Changing your address for HCP is a joke at TDOS

Guest kingtone

Guest kingtone

I went in last week to change my address on my HCP.

I had already changed my address online for my DL with no problems, and i know that it changes the address in the system for my HCP too, but i wanted to save any possible hassle later one and get a HCP with my proper address on it... and to get a duplicate while i was there. Sounds simple yeah?

NO!

Davidson Drivers testing Facility on Hart Lane.

Waited inline for 30 minutes... just to get a number... filled out the one form he gave my in 45 seconds... then waited more than 2 hours to be called up for it to be processed. Only to be told that i needed to fill out an extra form for the duplicate.

SO i filled that out and got it processed too, waited another 15 minutes to pay, AND hand over my current HCP thinking i was walking out with a new one...

then another 15 to have my photo taken.

I was then told to wait.. i waited another 15 minutes for the guy to then tell me that it would be sent in the mail.

SO i asked for my current HCP back to carry in the meantime and they refused to give it to me.. and told me the receipts i had are enough for me to carry at the moment. I asked if she was sure... she had to check with a supervisor and then told me unconvincingly that 'it would be ok'...

So hours later i walk out with a piece of paper that im not even 100% will be enough for my HCP.

well.. thats my vent.

anyone else had this stupid hassle?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

There are some things that are just simpler being done over the internet. :lol: But yeah, they don't print HCPs at the locations, they print them in Nashville and mail them.

I have moved 3 times since getting my permit, I always just do it online, my Drivers License has my current address and my HCP even though it shows my old address is updated in their computers. I have not gone there to get an updated or duplicate permit because I know the DMV is a nightmare! your receipts will in fact be good enough to carry with, I had to do that when I changed my Florida permit to Tennessee.

Guest Fenris

I have not had to renew, but when I got my HCP, I made the drive up to Springfield. It was out of the way, but I got out of there in a lot less time than I have *ever* gotten out of a metro DOS office. Plus I got to stop by G&L to window shop :-)

When I filled out the HCP app I provided my street address but since I live in a very rural area I prefer to receive my mail at my PO Box. My street address and my PO box are actually in different cities. I requested that the permit be mailed to my PO box which they did but when they printed the address on the permit it lists my street address and then the City and zip code for the PO box. Confused? Adding to the problem is that there is a very limited number of character spaces available to print addresses in. My drivers license is basically the same way and I think as long as the records in Nashville are correct I'm not going to try to have both TDL and HCP reprinted.

when moving, do the address change online. it will update the HCP records as well. i dont give a flip what address is on my DL or permit as long as the system has them properly listed. when i renew them both, they will have the correct address listed. i heard that for an address change, they run another background check on you and that is what takes them so long.

Guest kingtone

i guess some people didnt read the part where i said that i had already updated my address for my license online.

but you can not order a duplicate or new HCP online with the new address.

you have to go in.

its nice to know that the receipts will be ok to carry.. im concerned with out of state that it could cause problems if i ever had to produce my hcp.

as you all know.. its not just about what is law... sometimes people doing the right thing are delayed or hassled because things dont look right to the local officers etc etc. and thats why i wanted to change my address on my physical HCP to match my DL as i am out of state a lot.

The paper does count as a HCP until you get your new one in the mail.

I went in last week to change my address on my HCP.

I had already changed my address online for my DL with no problems, and i know that it changes the address in the system for my HCP too, but i wanted to save any possible hassle later one and get a HCP with my proper address on it... and to get a duplicate while i was there. Sounds simple yeah?

NO!

Davidson Drivers testing Facility on Hart Lane.

Waited inline for 30 minutes... just to get a number... filled out the one form he gave my in 45 seconds... then waited more than 2 hours to be called up for it to be processed. Only to be told that i needed to fill out an extra form for the duplicate.

SO i filled that out and got it processed too, waited another 15 minutes to pay, AND hand over my current HCP thinking i was walking out with a new one...

then another 15 to have my photo taken.

I was then told to wait.. i waited another 15 minutes for the guy to then tell me that it would be sent in the mail.

SO i asked for my current HCP back to carry in the meantime and they refused to give it to me.. and told me the receipts i had are enough for me to carry at the moment. I asked if she was sure... she had to check with a supervisor and then told me unconvincingly that 'it would be ok'...

So hours later i walk out with a piece of paper that im not even 100% will be enough for my HCP.

well.. thats my vent.

anyone else had this stupid hassle?

Guest Jcochran88

Wow! Did mine in Dickson about 4 months ago, spent a whole 20 minutes there. But unlike you they gave me my old permit back and reciept. They told me I had to have both to be legal.

By the way I am still waiting for new permit!!

I have not had to renew, but when I got my HCP, I made the drive up to Springfield. It was out of the way, but I got out of there in a lot less time than I have *ever* gotten out of a metro DOS office. Plus I got to stop by G&L to window shop :-)

Reson #4,583 that I am glad I live in a rural community. :)

Guest bkelm18

but you can not order a duplicate or new HCP online with the new address.

you have to go in.

Nope, you don't.

Handgun Carry Permit Duplicate or Change of Address

To Receive a Duplicate Handgun Carry Permit

• You will need to complete an application. To receive an application by mail call (615) 251-8590.
  • Complete and sign your application. Mail the application and the $5.00 fee payable by check or money order to the following address:
  • Tennessee Department of Safety
    Handgun Permit Office
    1150 Foster Ave.
    Nashville, TN 37243-1000
  • You may also get your duplicate application at any Driver Service Center. The Driver Service Center cannot issue the duplicate handgun carry permit.
  • Incomplete applications cannot be processed.

Even when I lived in Davidson County, I would go to a DMV in another (Wilson, Sumner) county for much faster service. It was always well worth the drive.

Yup, same here. Much faster, especially when getting HCP the first time.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

bkelm18

I am pretty sure that this only applies if you are requesting a duplicate. It won't work for an address change. At least that is what I was told on the phone the last time I had to change my address. I had to go into the DL office and watch in horror as the guy grabbed a hole punch and popped a big hole in the corner of my HCP and tossed it in a basket. He also told me that my receipt would work for handgun carry but I didn't believe him so I didn't carry for about 25 days waiting on my new permit.

bkelm18

I am pretty sure that this only applies if you are requesting a duplicate. It won't work for an address change. At least that is what I was told on the phone the last time I had to change my address. I had to go into the DL office and watch in horror as the guy grabbed a hole punch and popped a big hole in the corner of my HCP and tossed it in a basket. He also told me that my receipt would work for handgun carry but I didn't believe him so I didn't carry for about 25 days waiting on my new permit.

You can do the change of address online.

When you change it for your DL it also changes it for your HCP.

So once it is offically changed. Can't you order a duplicate HCP as bkelm18 stated and it should have your new (changed) address?

Guest benchpresspower

They give you your birth certificate and what knot back when you renew in person right? The gov website was kinda misleading about renewals and mail in, said that the original documents wouldn't be returned, umm I think I may need the birth certificate back.

Guest kingtone
You no longer have to show your birth certificate for a renewal.

AG Opinion 09-106

yeah i only showed my DL and HCP .. which they promptly confiscated. :screwy:

i guess its no big deal in TN. but I was in KY on the weekend and got pulled over for the first time, Happily he didnt ask about my HCP etc, but i was kinda sweating that the badly printed yellow pieces of triplicate paper wouldnt cut it as my hcp.

Im going to call the HCP office every week until i get my duplicate.

Im also going to start emailing Bredesen and whoever i can about the ridiculous state of the testing center. 3 people working the counters while 58 people wait??!!!! and another 20 or so inline to get a number..

cant blame the poor desk workers there.. but it is totally frustrating that they wanna waste money on a free water park but cant put 3 more people on at TDOS.

ok.. i think i officially hijacked my own thread!! lol

Guest benchpresspower

Good news to hear. Guess I will take advantage of the 6 months prior to expiration since I've heard that it is taking longer and longer now to get them back.