Carrying with a really bad back

Guest PapaB

Guest PapaB

For those of you with severe back problems, how do you carry?

Here's my problem - 3 lower lumbar surgeries in 15 months. When I go out I have to sit 80% of the time, walk with a cane 20% so I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry. As time goes on I should be abe to walk more and sit less but that's expected to be over a 2 to 3 year period if all goes well.

I've thought of 2 methods but don't know how well they'd work. One is a shoulder rig and the other is at 1 or 2 o'clock at an angle around 45 degrees or so.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problem?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kingtone

i know this doesnt exactly answer the question.. but on a side note;

if you are walking with a cane, you should look into some self defense instructors that specialize in self defense with a cane. I know my martial arts instructor taught a guy with a similar situation how to defend himself VERY effectively and lethally if need be with his walking cane.

Just a thought.

Guest JHatmaker

Pocket carry would be a good option, except for all the sitting (don't want it digging into the "buttocks" as Forrest Gump would say.

I think a shoulder rig would be your best option, but with it being the summer and all, unless you don't mind open carrying, you'd want another shirt or jacket or something.

Here's an idea, and you may think it's silly, but hey, may be your best option. They make shirts with pockets sewn into them that you could stick a small-medium sized carry gun in. It's like an undershirt, similar to the Underarmor stuff I believe, so it'll sit there snugly, not flopping around. May want to look into that option. I know 5.11 makes all kind of clothing with pockets for firearms, etc.

Good luck, and take it easy with your back.

Guest JHatmaker
I carry a snub in the pocket most days,and it doesn't dig into my buttocks. :usa:

I'm sitting 100% of the day,and pocket carry is the easiest and most comfortable way I've found to carry. :)

Do you use a holster? I'm thinking of getting a snubbie for pocket carry. Currently I have a Rohrbaugh 9mm in a pocket holster in my back pocket, and every now and then if I sit on a bench or hard surface, it get's a little uncomfortable (like George on the Seinfield episode where he keeps every reciept in his wallet and it gets so big it causes back problems....love that show)

Do you use a holster? I'm thinking of getting a snubbie for pocket carry. Currently I have a Rohrbaugh 9mm in a pocket holster in my back pocket, and every now and then if I sit on a bench or hard surface, it get's a little uncomfortable (like George on the Seinfield episode where he keeps every reciept in his wallet and it gets so big it causes back problems....love that show)

Desantis nemesis in my front pocket.

Guest PapaB

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. The reason I didn't mention pocket carry is I can't access a pocket gun while sitting on my scooter unless I stand up. I'm hoping for something that doesn't draw so much attention.

I'd forgotten about the undershirts with carry pockets that JHatmaker mentioned, has anybody here tried them?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. The reason I didn't mention pocket carry is I can't access a pocket gun while sitting on my scooter unless I stand up. I'm hoping for something that doesn't draw so much attention.

I'd forgotten about the undershirts with carry pockets that JHatmaker mentioned, has anybody here tried them?

Oh,well in that case I'd suggest a SOB holster,or some pants with looser pockets.

SOB is now my favorite way to carry. Its easy to get to while sitting,and the holster positioned just off center (between 4 and 5 o'clock).

Its also completely hidden by the back of your chair while sitting.

I know you said bad back....Ive got a bad back too,and I am comfortable carrying that way.

Ive also got some hyper-sensitive areas on my back from nerve damage.

Now when I say hyper-sensitive I mean a finger nail scratch feels like a knife being plunged into my skin,so If it works well for me,it might work for you too.

Ive also found that a SOB holster works surprisingly well on your hip at a 3 o'clock position.

It will give you the perfect amount of cant for an uber easy draw while sitting while keeping the muzzle up and out of the way enough to keep it from digging into your seat.

One thing to consider with a bad back is how well you can carry the additional weight.

I am fused from T7-T11 after a helicopter assisted burst fracture at T9 in 1990. I still get massive pain from doing things like ironing and doing dishes. I also can't simply stand for long periods of time.

That said, I shoot weddings that involve many hours of standing, walking, moving and generally getting up and down. Somehow this is ok, though I still hurt like crazy at the end of the day. I can only do this because my camera bag goes around my waist with no load on my shoulders.

Back when I was doing the initial recovery from the crash, I used a cane quite frequently. While I never received any formal training with it, I do recognize that it can be a very effective weapon. I did consider buying one that had a sword hidden inside. Unfortunately the state I was in at the time would have really frowned severely on it if discovered... and I was often flying commercial and didn't want to potentially lose it before boarding a flight (such an item certainly would not be allowed today).

Ya know a small carbine might be appropriate in certain situations.

Best of luck to you!

Guest tonybon

sometimes i carry my taurus mul pro in my frt pocket. (lose cargo shorts) doesnt print to bad but you need to be able to get it when and if you need it as easy and quickly as possible so keep this in mind. they also make a belly band holster never tried one. the video i saw looked good, easy to get to with a button up shirt sitting or standing. just my $.02

Edited by tonybon