Pocket/Sub-Compact Pistol for Office Attire

Guest utarch00

Guest utarch00

Now that I have my permit, I am trying to carry as much as I can. The problem that I have is that my M&P9 fullsize is just to large to carry everyday at the office. I mostly wear a dress shirt and dress pants and I can not get my rig to tuck and conceal well. I mostly sit in front of my computer, but I am up and around. So I have been thinking of getting a pocket pistol.

I want something in 9mm. I already have two 9mm pistols and do not want to bring another round into the mix until a get a 1911. So please do not suggest a J frame. I have been reading up on the Kel-tec P11 & PF-9, the Kahr PM9, the Taurus Millenium Pro, the Walther PPS, the Skyy CPX-1. All of these fit into the pocket pistol category, I think. The Taurus might be to large.

I also might try a compact 9mm if I can get the right holster that is tuckable and the clips are almost non-existant.

I have been doing a lot of reading and am starting to get overwhelmed. Does anyone have experiences with the listed pistols or have any other suggestions? Or does anyone fit into this mode of dress and can tell me what you do?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I think the PF9 is probably the smaller of the two, but the Kahr PM9 just looks better made to me. I've found myself thinking the same thing as you lately, and have wondered about a small revolver of some kind in .38+P or maybe .357 as an alternative to an automatic.

Since the Kel-Tec P3AT is a favored gun by many as a pocket gun, I would think that the PF-9 would also be a good gun. I am looking at it myself for the exact same reasons. Funds have become tight once again so it is on the back burner until Christmas or so. In the mean time, a back pack is a wonderful thing, and a company policy that does not mention AT ALL guns.

Backpacks and computer bags "blend" in very well. ;)

Also Galco makes some "Fake" Day Planners... but today few people

actually use a day planner.

With a little for thought, one could sew a cheap uncle mikes

(or some other type) of holster into the backpack, and a couple

of places for an extra mag if you wanted.

Hmmmmm...

I'd certainly try a PF-9 if I insisted on a 9mm for cc and didn't want to spring for a P7M8. But I'd buy a P3AT and a back pocket holster. Billfold goes in one pocket & the P3AT goes in the other. Dress with it in the morning and then forget it. Always with you if you need it and no hassle.

Here it is in the holster:

537216929_29ea35a44f.jpg

And here it is in my pocket (Photo shows my best feature):

537100640_209df2d88c.jpg

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Calibers : .380 AUTO

Weight unloaded lbs. : 8.3 oz.

Loaded magazine : 2.8 oz.

Length : 5.2"

Height : 3.5"

Width : .77"

Sight radius : 3.8"

Muzzle Energy Max : 250 ft lbs

Capacity : 6 + 1 rounds

Trigger Pull : 5lbs

I've got a PF9 in the shop if you want to look at it. I know the double stack 9mm from Kel Tec has a pretty good rep. The PF9 is certainly thinner. And the price is right, certainly better than the Kahrs.

But why not a Taurus 905? That's a j-frame 5 shot 9mm revolver. You get the best of both worlds!

Guest rockytop

For pocket carry, I have a S&W 38 Special "Bodyguard", Kahr PM9, and a Keltec P3AT. I carry the PM9 95% of the time.

PM9's aren't cheap, but after Rorbaughs ($$$$), they are about the smallest high quality 9MM guns around. The P3AT is some smaller but you sacrifice caliber (.380).

Your experience may vary.

Guest utarch00
I think the PF9 is probably the smaller of the two, but the Kahr PM9 just looks better made to me. I've found myself thinking the same thing as you lately, and have wondered about a small revolver of some kind in .38+P or maybe .357 as an alternative to an automatic.

I have read bad things about both the Kel-tecs and the Kahr. But, I guess I have read good about both also. The thing that bothers me is during the break in period on the Kahr, you can not sling shot the slide to load the chamber and the slide release is torture on the fingers.

Backpacks and computer bags "blend" in very well. :rolleyes:

Also Galco makes some "Fake" Day Planners... but today few people

actually use a day planner.

With a little for thought, one could sew a cheap uncle mikes

(or some other type) of holster into the backpack, and a couple

of places for an extra mag if you wanted.

Hmmmmm...

I have carried in a messanger bag already, but I still want something on my person and I do not feel comfortable just leaving the gun laying around when I am not at my desk.

I've got a PF9 in the shop if you want to look at it. I know the double stack 9mm from Kel Tec has a pretty good rep. The PF9 is certainly thinner. And the price is right, certainly better than the Kahrs.

But why not a Taurus 905? That's a j-frame 5 shot 9mm revolver. You get the best of both worlds!

I have looked at and handled both of the Kel-tecs and there was not much of a difference.

I have not thought of the Taurus Revolver. I will check into it.

Guest Ross Mccathren
With a little for thought, one could sew a cheap uncle mikes (or some other type) of holster into the backpack, and a couple of places for an extra mag if you wanted.

i see you've noticed someones handy work.

• 2 months later...

Bringing up an older topic but anyway.

I dress the same way, dress pants, button down. I use the CTAC holster for my XD and have moved my phone over to that side to "hide" the clips, seriously considering the V-clips that they offer (velcro on the back of belt, velcro on the clip, completely hidden). I have had someone ask what the clips were, I said a colostomy bag and changed the subject. But as I have mentioned on other threads, because of family get togethers (hugs and whatnot), office carry, and BUG, I want a small semiauto. I have a Rossi .38 that is similar if not identical to the J-Frame, but it is "fat" and heavy. I have narrowed it down to a P3AT or the PF-9, with a heavy lean toward the PF-9 due to the 9mm part.

Below is a visual comparison of the P3AT and the PF-9.

DSC00723.jpg

Just not sure which one I will get. I did find this ballistic comparison

9_vs_380.png

Anybody got any comments on the decision between the 9mm & .380 would be appreciated.

Marswolf, what make and model holster is that?

Guest jcramin
If you opt for the Kahr look at the MK series over the PM. If you get a good PM they are great but the QC of the polymer Kahr's is spotty at best. That said, a Kahr K9 is one of my main carry options.

Im a lucky one, I have a Kahr PM9 and its a great GUN. Only have about 100 rounds thru it BUT it has never had a malfunction yet.

J

Guest DrBoomBoom

I carry a Taurus 905 9mm snubnose that I bought used from the Rabbi. I carry it in my pocket, where it disappears in a Mika round cut pocket holster, but I also have an IWB that it fits. The IWB is nice to wear crossdraw when I'm driving.

It's a little smaller than my wife's Smith 642 snubnose, but a little bit heavier, being stainless steel. I like the fact that, since it's a revolver, I can use any JHP without any jams, can fire out of my pocket without a slide jamming, and if there's an FTF, I don't have to tap and rack. I just pull the trigger again.

The only drawback I see is 5 shots.

Guest utarch00

Here is an update.

I got a great deal on a Skyy Cpx-1 and carried for a little bit, but did not like it. I then traded the Skyy to Sermon8r for a Keltec P11 and carried that for a little while. It was not any better then the Skyy, so I wound up selling it and put the cash towards a used Kahr PM9 that I just pick up on Wednesday. All I can say so far is the quality is above and beyond the other two. I will take it out this weekend and put it through its paces. I have shot a buddies Kahr P9 and if the PM9 is anything like it, I will be happy.