Women in HCP class

Last night at my HCP class in Cookeville, we women out numbered the men 4 to 3. What a nice surprise. Ages ranged from the thirties to late sixties.

It was great seein so many women shooters in one place. I wonder if we are increasing in numbers and if so, why? I think most of us are thinking in terms of self defense, but I do love the challenge of the range.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it's becoming more socially acceptable for women to own and use guns today. People aren't looking at women as if they're crazy when they pack heat like they did just a decade or two ago. I, for one, am glad for this. The only one anyone should count on for protection is themself.

:up:

Last night at my HCP class in Cookeville, we women out numbered the men 4 to 3. What a nice surprise. Ages ranged from the thirties to late sixties.

It was great seein so many women shooters in one place. I wonder if we are increasing in numbers and if so, why? I think most of us are thinking in terms of self defense, but I do love the challenge of the range.

Wow! That is very cool! :up: It's awesome that more women are choosing to "not be a victim!" :(

Congrats on taking the class! Now it's time for the waiting game......

I think that it's becoming more socially acceptable for women to own and use guns today. People aren't looking at women as if they're crazy when they pack heat like they did just a decade or two ago. I, for one, am glad for this. The only one anyone should count on for protection is themself.

Absolutely! :up:

I took the class from Top Guns, sorry to say that I can not remember the instructor's name. I believe that we were all comfortable with the class and that the presentation was good. I am looking forward to the range time on Saturday.

I already have a CCW from AZ, but thought since I am now a TN resident, I should have one from here.

Guest dizzielizzie

I'd love to know the numbers of female vs. male HCP holders also.

Today's women are more independent and are willing to stand up for themselves and their own personal safety. When I first mentioned to a few of my friends I wanted to get my permit, they said "you don't need one, you have a big scary boyfriend!" I told them I needed it for those times when I wasn't with him.

Congrats, ms. bashbago, for taking the class. I recommend you apply for your permit as soon as you are able, and take the time for yourself to practice what you have learned. I've been carrying for a few months now and have gotten so comfortable with having my "little baby" in my waistband that I feel weird when I leave it at home!

Today's women are more independent and are willing to stand up for themselves and their own personal safety. When I first mentioned to a few of my friends I wanted to get my permit, they said "you don't need one, you have a big scary boyfriend!" I told them I needed it for those times when I wasn't with him.

Congrats, ms. bashbago, for taking the class. I recommend you apply for your permit as soon as you are able, and take the time for yourself to practice what you have learned. I've been carrying for a few months now and have gotten so comfortable with having my "little baby" in my waistband that I feel weird when I leave it at home!

I know what you mean! I've been carrying for almost 15 years and I feel naked without my gun on me! :up:

Please let me relate a point on this topic that goes to my earlier post. When I was in the Marine Corps, a fellow Corporal confided in me how his marriage fell apart. You see he was a big, bad Marine who was assigned to the MP's on the Marine Base at 29 Palms, California. His wife relied on him, (just as mosy women do), to protect her. One night while on patrol, he responded to a "Rape" call at his own home in base housing. Another Marine broke into his home and raped his wife.

Long story short, his wife blamed him for not protecting her because in her mind it was his responsibility to do so, and he failed. As irrational as it may seem, the fact that she conceded responsibility for her protection to her husband, (who in no way shape or form provide 24 x 7 x 365 protection for her), rather than maintaining it herself caused their marriage to fail.

Ladies, (and gentlemen), it is unreasonable to expect someone else to protect you. Rely on yourselves at all times, but be grateful for the times when someone else has your back.

Just my two cents.

Guest dizzielizzie
Ladies, (and gentlemen), it is unreasonable to expect someone else to protect you. Rely on yourselves at all times, but be grateful for the times when someone else has your back.

Just my two cents.

:D

Guest DefensiveGuy

Took my class last Saturday at the TN Sports Foundation Range. 3 out of 9 were women:). Class was great with an experienced retired State Trooper. Went to the licensing bureau and all went well but i had a Money Order for the $115 and they would not take it even though the website says they will. No problem though, just ran to the bank and converted back to green stamps. Yes i did get a receipt. Now to wait and get into a routine of range practice. Would like to take an advanced pistol class as $ and time allow. Gingerly working on the wife but its got to be her decision.

Guest 3pugguy

My wife's tipping point was the attack (in broad daylight) of two women in a shopping center parking lot here in Clarksville. We had guns in the house but had not done the HCP.

So for her it was obviously defense, but she will shoot on occassion for practice and fun but not as into the range as me.

I am really glad to know women are availing themselves of their rights and to protect themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Angel 24/7

All my friends thought I was crazy to want a gun. (they know my personality). I have taken them to the range, one of them was so excited! She asked about buying a gun and the permit classes. I was so proud. Another smart woman!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my wife her permit for Valentine's day back in 02 after she passed the HCP class, then next day i paid for her permit. i renew for her every time 3 to 4 months in advace plus get copies for her. Im glad more ladies are doing this.

Guest TurboniumOxide

My class was one third women 4 of 12. One of them had a nice 1911 .45; the only other person with a high caliber weapon besides me. Everyone else rented ruger 22s. It was like plink, plink, BOOM.

My wife has the only auto all the other women had revolvers lol she used 9mm. they asked her why she used that and her reply was we it will load faster plus carry more rounds lol. well after they a few of then said they will be buying auto's as well.