G&A Reviews the H&K P30 and declares it a home run hit

TGO David

• Administrator

October 2007 Guns & Ammo

Review of the new Heckler and Koch P30 9mm Service Pistol

GAocto07_082907A.jpg

H&K Hits One Out

The polymer-frame 9mm wars are heating up once again, and H&K's got a very serious contender in the P30.

By Patrick Sweeney

Heckler & Koch and I go way back. I first shot an H&K about 30 years ago. My opinion then was that it was a perfect example of Germanic over-engineering: heavy, with snappy recoil, too many parts and everything about it expensive (just like German cars without the leather seats). Despite the vaunted H&K reputation for reliability, I even managed once to break the "anvil" of them all--an MP-5.

GAp30_082907A.jpg

The relationship was apparently a mutual one, for despite repeated requests, this represents only the second time H&K has sent me something for review.

I was all set to roll out my snarky comments about "shoebox-proportioned slides" and oversize parts. I had all my snappy similes about H&K recoil ready to go. I've gotten in trouble in the past with the H&K masses for my less- than- gushing reviews of the H&K firearms I was able to test, even when H&K didn't send me any. (Borrowed, not from H&K.) And then they sent me the P30.

Read the rest of the article here...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

It sounds like a promising piece of work from H&K and one that I hope is followed by the release of the much ballyhooed HK45 and HK45C. Those two have been loitering in vaporland for over a year now and a lot of H&K enthusiasts are anxious to get their hands on them.

I for one will be watching reviews of the HK45C with great interest as it could be the ultimate .45ACP polymer carry piece if everything that the preliminary reviews are saying is true.

I never understood the appeal of HKs (other than the P7, which is a fine piece of work). Yeah, they're good and all. But, imo, not worth the premium price HK puts on them.

And as for G&A, if Smith/Colt/SIG resurrected the Lorcin and slapped their name on it, they would still swear it was the greatest innovation in firearms this century.

H&Ks are a professional tool and cost accordingly. I'm not big on paying for a name and I won't do it. But two of my four duty/carry pistols have turned out to be H&Ks. That is because of performance that convinced me to spend the extra money for truly exceptional weapons. If they hadn't worked out functionally, they would have been gone from my collection in a hurry.

If you like the gun and it works for you, that's what really matters.

But SIGs are "professional tools." Smiths are "professional tools." Heck, Glocks are professional tools. And none of them costs what H&K does.

Just about every new Sig I can look up costs more than it's H&K counterpart by about $50-$100... So does nearly any 'tactical' 1911, by alot more. Heck, even a brand new Beretta M9A1 or 90-Two will run nearly what a full-size USP 9mm does.

...from the places I can look up online, anyways, like impactguns.com and budsgunshop.com.

Just about every new Sig I can look up costs more than it's H&K counterpart by about $50-$100... So does nearly any 'tactical' 1911, by alot more. Heck, even a brand new Beretta M9A1 or 90-Two will run nearly what a full-size USP 9mm does.

...from the places I can look up online, anyways, like impactguns.com and budsgunshop.com.

If you want to compare the SIG special models to the base H&K you are right. If you want to compare apples to apples I don't think so.

If you want to compare the SIG special models to the base H&K you are right. If you want to compare apples to apples I don't think so.

apples to apples:

H&K P2000 LEM on impactguns.com = $733, on budsgunshop.com = $726

H&K USPc LEM on impactguns.com = $729, on budsgunshop.com = $726

Sig P229R DAK on impactguns.com = $749, on budsgunshop.com = $794

You're right, however, that the special Sig models are even more more expensive... $900-$1000 range for the Elite, SAS, and Equinox.

Guest triggertime

I had a friend who purchased an HK USPC in .45ACP several years ago. He

often preached and praised about how superior it was to my prefered brand.

Long story short, not too long after buying it, he was dry firing it one

day and the firing pin broke.

Upset, he called HK and tried to get them to send his gunsmith a replacement

firing pin. They wouldn't. He was told to send the pistol to HK and they

would fix it. Curiously, HK refused to pay for the return shipping and

tried to place the blame on my friend for dry firing it without snap

caps. HK wound up keeping the pistol for 8 months before fixing it

and returning it.

Then, one day shortly after receiving his fixed pistol, my friend was dry

firing the pistol with snap caps and the firing pin broke. Rinse, lather,

repeat.

He wound up trading the pistol in on a Corvair in .45ACP and hasn't had

a problem since.

Yes, HK is a superior product alright.

I had the overhead cam break in half in on my '87 Toyota truck... 1,000 miles past warrenty. (Sent metal into the engine as well.) While I'm sure this was uncommon, it still left a very bad taste in my mouth, what made it worst was how the dealer reacted. I was 23 and swore I would never own another toyota, or by from that dealer again.

Still haven't bought from that dealer, (and NEVER will) but the FJ40s do look rather nice.

To me all major gun manufactors make pretty reliable products. For me, They are at the heart a lead delivery system. Be it at 115 gr, 230 gr or anything in between. If you want to throw out $1,000 for a pistol more power to you, or if you want to throw out $300. Your money, your call. HK, Sig, Colt, Smitty, Kimber, SA, hiPoint... well maybe not high point... (kidding guys) doesn't really matter to me. It's more important that you have confidence in what you have and confidence in knowing that you can hit what you aim at.

If an extra $20 bucks over one model than another makes you feel better... cool.

It's all good. [iMHO]

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I ran through Glocks and SIGs before settling on the H&Ks. Your mileage may vary. :lol:

I ran through three other guns before settling on the Kel-Tec P3AT as a bug. You just have to try them till you find the right one for you. But price should be a less considered factor if you are really trusting your life to a handgun. Better to save for another month or two and get what you want.

• Administrator

Triggertime, Urse... I can provide you with the name and address of my local FFL so that you can buy a Glock for me (I'll take a model 23 since that was the last one I had that I liked) and have it shipped to me.

Use these folks: On Target

I'll await either receipt of the gun or your silence on the matter. :lol:

In the meantime, I'll be carrying either my H&K P2000 or my Kimber Pro CDP II thinking about how horrible both guns are in the face of Glock Perfection and wishing for the day that I can finally turn my back on what the rest of the world thinks are fine firearms and once again carry the weapon of choice among budget choked police departments, training junkies and ditch warriors.