robbed again!!

jgrauman

well i was working outside at my parents house all day today putting in their long awaited landscape lighting that i promised i'd do for them a year ago. I parked my 4runner in their driveway and dropped the tailgait for easy access to my tools. i periodically went inside to check the scores of the NFL games and get some water. about 5 i went in for about 10 minutes came back out and went to my truck to get my impact drill.... hmm i don't remember taking my entire ridgid tool bag out of my truck... hmm i don't remember removing my subwoofer from my truck.... SON OF A .... MOTHER... as you can imagine i was quite upset.. $800 gone and i'm thinking i was lucky. i had my wallet, phone, gun, cd's, $300 fluke test kit, the rest of my tools all sitting there... pretty sure whoever did it heard me come out from behind the house and took off. that's the second time this has happened in my parents neighborhood... to them. broad daylight 3 cars in the driveway and tools laying all over the yard. mother f'er had some balls on 'em. called the cops, they came an hour later, took a report :D . the neighborhood has video cameras on the enterance so they reviewed the tapes and saw a shady truck come in during the time frame and "will look into it." there was an estate sale today so a ton of people were going in and out of there so i'm sure they won't catch them. some balls on people. i wish i would have walked out and seen them with my sub and tool bag in hand, could have relieved some stress :rolleyes:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Rule #1: Don't leave things of value unattended. I find it especially disturbing that you left a firearm unsecured in your vehicle while you were inside checking the score of the ball game, etc. Even if for only a minute, that's a serious breach of protocol.

Sorry to hear that this happened. While it may seem that I'm busting your balls, I'm just trying to reaffirm what you have probably already said to yourself a dozen times now. Namely, that you set yourself up to be taken advantage of by some of this world's scum bags.

Like the X-Files often touted... Trust No One.

I know how you feel. Last week some one broke in to our mini-van in the driveway and stole a portable DVD player. I must have scared them off as I came out to leave for work. Nothing major, but annoying. The funny thing is they didn't take my wallet I had accidentally left in there. They also took a diaper bag that had my wifes DL license and stuff which we later got in the mail.

I also, had my church broken into twice in the same day in broad daylight (around 11ish). They broke in a window, set off the alarm, did some damage and left. they never got all the way in, so later that afternoon, about an hour after I and the police left, they tried again.

I hate thieves!

Guest Jason F.

Hell in East Nashville sections of your house can walk away. One of our tenants has his lawn furniture literally bolted down via a chain and a huge steel spike driven into the ground.

We were working one a rental over there one afternoon, new plumbing and some electrical work. We came back the next day turned on a faucet and nothing. Got to looking and someone had gotten under the house and tore away every inch of copper pipe. We also found and old rusted side by side double barrel under that house with most of the barrel missing via a hack saw job.

What a great neighborhood.....

• Administrator

Funny but sad... a co-worker was just telling me that on his way to N. Carolina this past Friday he got stopped by the THP for doing a little faster than they allow. During the stop, the Trooper told him that a nearby group of electrical linemen were also on his short list to attend to. Seems that they had left an HUGE spool of wire (the kind that is hauled on a trailer) unattended at their roadside job site and someone came along, hooked up to the trailer, and hauled it off for them.

You would think that would be hard to sell at a salvage yard without raising some eyebrows. :rolleyes:

I am surprised you are surprised. I grew up in Chattanooga, I lock everything! People will drive by and see something in the yard and take a five finger discount if it's not bolted down.

It's a common sense of living in Memphis. Since we're always in the top ten worst cities for crime it's easy to forget that other places have crime too. Pretty much everywhere else is comparatively better.

Rule #1: Don't leave things of value unattended. I find it especially disturbing that you left a firearm unsecured in your vehicle while you were inside checking the score of the ball game, etc.

yeah i know, but then again, when i go eat i leave it unattended in my car and my other weapons are unattended when i leave my house. you know how it is, if they want it they'll get it. they would be hard pressed to find my gun in my car anyway. i've wired many a houses that one day have all the wires back to the panel and the next day they don't. copper wire is going fast. my grandfather is a lineman in montana and there have been many deaths of thiefs stealing the aluminum netrual wires from the SERVICE panels off peoples houses. they think because they're bare they aren't being used.

Guest Jason F.

You would think that would be hard to sell at a salvage yard without raising some eyebrows. :lol:

Nope not a single eyebrow would be raised. The culprit will probably take it out to the sticks somewhere and do a nice illegal burn to clear away the wire jacket. That will leave a a nice big pile of twisted up copper. That is what we used to do with all the wire from an electrical contractor business back in the days before you could get hauled in for doing a burn like that.

We haul all kinds of scrap metal including wire each week. I hauled close to a thousand pounds of old scrap aluminum jigs, fixtures, and unused extrusions a few weeks ago. Much of it looked like it was good equipment, those scrap places could care less where it comes from most of the time.

recieved a phone call from a detective today. he left a message asking me to call back in regards to the report i filed on sunday. I called back and left him a message. pretty curious as to what he has to say, i wasn't expecting anything to come of it. maybe they actually got something on the video tapes and found the guy, that would be nice

Guest CrazyLincoln

:D Not the Fluke tester! I hate having to replace that kind of stuff. (I've got one too.) And the sad thing is, they guy will probably get like $5 for it too. :)

Good luck on them finding the creep.

:D Not the Fluke tester! I hate having to replace that kind of stuff. (I've got one too.) And the sad thing is, they guy will probably get like $5 for it too. :)

Good luck on them finding the creep.

no worries, he didn't grab it, it was sitting right there, just the combo kit minus the batteries, he wasn't very bright