Taking wife to the range for the first time.. tips?

Howdy ladies - I am taking my wife to the gun range for first time on Friday after work. I would describe her mood as "guarded optimism". She grew up in the country with guns, but has never been a "gun gal". I think she is a little scared of guns, but I am coaxing her along. (It helps a lot that her Mom and Dad are supportive in this) Shes been asking questions about what to expect (like "do they clean the hearing protectors?") :dirty:

Since I am taking her to On-Target for the first time, I was hoping for some tips from you ladies. Any things that I should avoid doing or saying, or things that I should focus on? I trust your opinion!

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just the standard advice I'm sure you've thought of already:

Start slow, work up from small calibers, don't rush her, don't get too worked up over accuracy...

and have fun!

Guest GT_Rat

1. Other than the initial safety talk don't lecture. Shut up.

2. Let her shoot at her pace and shoot what she wants to try out.

3. Answer questions as simply as you can. She doesn't want a tech primer her first time out.

4. Remember it's fun, not a competition.

It's funny that everyone that answered this thread is a guy. :dirty:

Now the ladies are going to come in and tell us we're all wrong.

I know you were addressing the ladies out there but I thought I'd toss in my .02.

My wife has totally embraced shooting. She's bought more guns lately than I have. And she is as good a shot as I am. She would say better. Let her start with something small and let her move up at her own pace. My wife now has her own .45 1911 and a Bond Arms Snake Slayer .45/.410. Serious wepons. Not to mention several other guns that belong to her. She craves the smell of burnt gunpowder.

It's great to have an activity that we can enjoy together. Going to the range is a wonderful way to relax and release the frustrations of a hard week. It's a bonding experience. This could be the start of something great for you and your wife. And something that could become a little expensive. It's worth it. Just don't make the mistake of picking up one of her guns and shooting without asking. They get possesive about their guns!

I didn't think my wife would enjoy it, but she really did and keeps asking to go back, which is a terrific surprise.

I'd add three suggestions to what you've already heard:

1) Walk through the basics before you get to the range. It's easier than yelling over the noise.

2) Try to go when the range isn't busy. Having some guy rapid-firing a .45 in the next lane wouldn't likely make her happy with the noise.

3) For the first few shots, just load one round in the magazine. That way, after she makes a really good shot, she won't spin around with her finger on the trigger and accidentally shoot you. :dirty:

1. Other than the initial safety talk don't lecture. Shut up.

2. Let her shoot at her pace and shoot what she wants to try out.

3. Answer questions as simply as you can. She doesn't want a tech primer her first time out.

4. Remember it's fun, not a competition.

It's funny that everyone that answered this thread is a guy. :lol:

Now the ladies are going to come in and tell us we're all wrong.

I never look at the section heading, I just hit "new posts"

Still..kinda funny.

Hopefully the ladies will be along soon. :dirty:

Guest 3pugguy
Howdy ladies - I am taking my wife to the gun range for first time on Friday after work. I would describe her mood as "guarded optimism". She grew up in the country with guns, but has never been a "gun gal". I think she is a little scared of guns, but I am coaxing her along. (It helps a lot that her Mom and Dad are supportive in this) Shes been asking questions about what to expect (like "do they clean the hearing protectors?") :lol:

Since I am taking her to On-Target for the first time, I was hoping for some tips from you ladies. Any things that I should avoid doing or saying, or things that I should focus on? I trust your opinion!

Thanks in advance!

Well, I am not a lady, but when my wife agreed it was time to get our permits, I had the guy at Guns and Leather discuss guns with her, including going down to the range and letting her try one out. She asked me what I thought and my reply was go with what was comfortable, price was not an issue (well, if she had eyed a Wilson custom...), and I figured the guy at the shop knew his trade (and know he did now).

FWIW, that approach worked well and she is very comfortable with her gun and carrying it. Another piece of advice the G&L guy gave which she took was to practice and do the shooting test with a .22. So she started shooting Ruger (rental) and then agreed on our buying our Buckmark; it is an easy to shoot gun and she gained the confidence needed to enjoy the practice. I also use it and enjoy shooting it plus it's cheap to plink.

My :dirty: and I hope you have fun and your wife learns to enjoy shooting sports or at the minimum, will want to shoot enough to become proficient and get her HCP and be armed.

When I took the wife shooting, her friend came along. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea at the time, but it turned out great. Talked safety with them, shot first, then they each had a turn. We used one lane, and I was able to supervise each one when they were shooting. They started getting comfortable and would remind each other of the safety and shooting basics. Just make sure the day is about her and leave when shes ready. I think the idea is to make sure she has a safe and good time.

I'd suggest outdoor range if at all possible for first outing.

Indoor is claustrophobic, noisier, smoky, concussion is magnified, etc.

It's as "alien" an atmosphere as can be, especially for an already unfamiliar endeavor.

As much as I love to shoot, if I had to do it only indoors, I wouldn't shoot 1/4 as much as I do now.

- OS

I'd suggest outdoor range if at all possible for first outing.

Indoor is claustrophobic, noisier, smoky, concussion is magnified, etc.

It's as "alien" an atmosphere as can be, especially for an already unfamiliar endeavor.

As much as I love to shoot, if I had to do it only indoors, I wouldn't shoot 1/4 as much as I do now.

- OS

hmm... i used to be a member of Owl Hollow.. but thats gone. Not sure of any outdoor ranges nearby... any suggestions?

hmm... i used to be a member of Owl Hollow.. but thats gone. Not sure of any outdoor ranges nearby... any suggestions?

I'm not from over there, but I know from reading here that Owl Hollow is still going, under a new feller...it's cheap too.

- OS

Here's info as of June this year:

TGO David said:

"OHGC effectively no longer exists. The land that they previously leased is now being operated by the land owner as a privately owned gun range. Cost is $40 per year or $5 per day to shoot as a guest.

The best way to join is to show up at the range. There is a sign on the shed near the rifle lanes that has the owner's name and phone number. Call the number and see if he is available to meet you and take your dues. He lives just right up the hill and is typically more than happy to walk down and give you the orientation."

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/events-gatherings/22752-owl-hollow-gun-club.html?highlight=owl+hollow

- OS

Well, the guys have given you some great advice!

I would suggest running down the safety basics before you go shooting.....and a BIG plus would be if you could find a good gun safety video that she could watch. Women definitely don't like being told what to do by their husbands/boyfriends, so the less instructing you actually do the better off you'll be. ;)

I'd try to start with a .22 and work your way up to the bigger calibers. Before you let her shoot, run down the basics of the gun....like the safety, mag/cylinder release, etc. Show her how to load it, you shoot the first mag/cylinder then let her have at it.

Try to say as little as possible and just make sure she's handling the gun safely. Don't push her into a bigger caliber if she's not ready. Let her call the shots and you'll be a much happier man in the end! :rolleyes:

Well, the guys have given you some great advice!

I would suggest running down the safety basics before you go shooting.....and a BIG plus would be if you could find a good gun safety video that she could watch. Women definitely don't like being told what to do by their husbands/boyfriends, so the less instructing you actually do the better off you'll be. ;)

I'd try to start with a .22 and work your way up to the bigger calibers. Before you let her shoot, run down the basics of the gun....like the safety, mag/cylinder release, etc. Show her how to load it, you shoot the first mag/cylinder then let her have at it.

Try to say as little as possible and just make sure she's handling the gun safely. Don't push her into a bigger caliber if she's not ready. Let her call the shots and you'll be a much happier man in the end! ;)

Thank you Mama! :rolleyes:

How did it go at the range for your wife today, TNTitan?

Range went very well.. I gave her the safety basics and let her loose (watching carefully). She listened very well and executed perfectly. We shot for a bit, she felt the kick.. learned a good stance and how to squeeze, and when she was done, we left and went to dinner. :tough:

Today was even better. We went to Guns and Leather to take our HCP class. Success!! We had a "blast". Wife did great. Mark Crabtree, the instructor, was very professional - but also hilarious, which made the time go by and we both learned a lot. Many ladies in the class which surprised her. She felt nice and comfy and was laughing and talking with others before too long... she also blew the h#ll out of those targets! Needless to say, we both got our certificates and now she has her eye on a S&W 642 with a pink grip. Who knew? Shes starting to refer to herself as "Calamity Jane".... what have I created? :devil:

Now I guess its on to the DMV... :D

Guest dizzielizzie

EXCELLENT!!! :D you left out the HCP class until today - another EXCELLENT!!! What did she test with in the class?

Hopefully you created a confident woman who you eventually won't worry about so much when she's out & about because you know she has the knowledge & means to defend herself!

Humor her on the pink S&W, if she really wants it & wants it for carry.

EXCELLENT!!! :D you left out the HCP class until today - another EXCELLENT!!! What did she test with in the class?

Hopefully you created a confident woman who you eventually won't worry about so much when she's out & about because you know she has the knowledge & means to defend herself!

Humor her on the pink S&W, if she really wants it & wants it for carry.

Thanks Lizzie - she qualified with a modified Ruger SP-101 in .38 - the same gun she hit the range with on Friday. No problems.. I might indulge her with the S&W but I'm trying to get her to shoot the LCR.. we will see. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...