Taking wife to the range for the first time.. tips?

Ha. Mine knows how to clean, but leaves the detail clean for me to do... she just runs a boresnake down the barrel and gives it a quick wipedown.

She didn't even want to do that until I got some Eezox - she hates the smell of Hoppes.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SweetSue

Since learning to shoot,really do feel inner strength knowing,if I have to,I will. Had a run in with a guy while at a red light and believe it saved my life,at the very least,saved my car from being stolen. Natural reaction,as I always practice,just before pulling out of the driveway,pulling. Trembling set in after all was said and done,but at the time,was in full control. I agree with Lizzy,confidence is a great tool and with Packin Mama about responsibility. Husbands who introduce their wives to the means to protect themselves,are heros.

Not a Lady but one thing I have found that is nice for everyone to have at the range is a container of wet hand wipes. Helps cleans hands until you can get to a sink to do a proper wash down.

Many people especially most ladies I know do not like dirty hands.

Congrats of the class and may your wait be short.

Not a Lady but one thing I have found that is nice for everyone to have at the range is a container of wet hand wipes. Helps cleans hands until you can get to a sink to do a proper wash down.

Many people especially most ladies I know do not like dirty hands.

Congrats of the class and may your wait be short.

Yes, these are wonderful! I have a bunch of individually wrapped wet wipes in my range bag and some in my camera bag as well.

I agree! Wet wipes of some sort come in VERY handy.....at the range as well as just about anywhere else!

Since having my son, I've found countless uses for diaper wipes (these are generally thicker than the hand wipe variety)! Shooting, Fishing, Camping, in the Garage or Shop, and they're even great for cleaning the cloth interior or carpet of your car, stains on clothing, "accidents" on your home carpet or furniture, pet messes, you name it and it'll probably clean it! :rolleyes:

Guest canebreaker

Congrads.

Our guns don't come in the house til they are clean. Keep the smell out as long as possible. As long as it's not raining. May get some of that for the rainy days.

Plan a trip to Stones river gun range and shoot with us when your ready. Most of the time, sunday about 3 pm. to close. Winter hours are coming up, close at 4 instead of 6. She may start coming to the range at 1.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest AMERICAL

On several occasions, after work the wife and I go out to eat before we head home. Its the usual question! What are you hungry for and where do you want to go? I mentioned lets try 1776 at RangeUSA, they have a grill and at the same time you can watch people firing their weapons, well we went had sandwiches and such, I aked her how she liked it, she says: It was good, I'm not worried about getting robbed here with all the folks carrying weapons, she asked did I want to shoot on the range and I said it would be nice, then she says I would like to fire a couple of rounds myself, I nearly fell off my chair, to make a long story short we rented her a small handgun (she called it James Bond gun), when she got through she said I would like to try your weapon, I carry a .45, first shot she hit the center. just thought I would mention this in hopes of getting more ladies to carry.;)

Guest mosinon

I don't know about taking the wife to a range, my wife grew up with guns and isn't bothered by them per se though she hates the dough spent on them.

That said I think you need to consider the new shooter experience. I was very lucky, OhShoot taught me the ropes and he never criticized. It was all safety and so forth. I couldn't hit a barn from the inside the first time I shot (or the second) and OhShoot never laughed (out loud) or criticized. He just let me shoot. Which was nice because mostly what I was after was unloading the weapon in the loudest possible way.

I'd say just make sure a new shooter is safe and other than that let them shoot. They'll want to get better later. Don't take the fun out of it. While I know it isn't nerve wracking to anyone else on this forum shooting was nerve wracking for me until I had sent several hundred rounds down range. Once I was comfortable, and quit trying so damn hard, everything got a lot better.

I'm betting OhShoot would tell you that I've improved considerably. I'm also betting if he had to get in a gunfight with one person I'd be that guy cause I'm not very good yet.

UPDATE: Wifes HCP arrived today! Lookout world - there is another armed gal out there and she knows how to use it. :P

That's awesome! Congrats! :popcorn:

Just tell her to keep it on her body and out of her purse! :drool:

Seriously, the holiday season is coming up and that's when the purse snatchers really start coming out of the woodwork. I have a feeling that with the economy the way it is, this year's going to be one of the worst for thievery.

Guest HexHead

My wife suggested bring your own wipes if she's concerned about the range's hearing protectors. My wife also likes to get one of the end lanes next to a wall. That way she's only got someone shooting next to her on one side.

That's awesome! Congrats! :rolleyes:

Just tell her to keep it on her body and out of her purse! :rolleyes:

Seriously, the holiday season is coming up and that's when the purse snatchers really start coming out of the woodwork. I have a feeling that with the economy the way it is, this year's going to be one of the worst for thievery.

Thats a tough one mama.... shes told me shes not wearing it on her person, period. I might buy here an antitheft purse or something. oh well.. I take what I can get. im just happy shes got her permit and will carry.

My wife suggested bring your own wipes if she's concerned about the range's hearing protectors. My wife also likes to get one of the end lanes next to a wall. That way she's only got someone shooting next to her on one side.

Ha! there was no way she was going to use range protectors. It was "buy me a pair" if you want me to go! ;)

Thats a tough one mama.... shes told me shes not wearing it on her person, period. I might buy here an antitheft purse or something. oh well.. I take what I can get. im just happy shes got her permit and will carry.

Yeah, I guess you have to take what you can get. It's a good start anyway. :rolleyes:

If she ever has her purse stolen with her gun in it (like I did) or someone grabs her purse and then tries to do her harm......she'll change her mind.

You're right, it might just take some time. Once she gets comfortable with carrying a gun in her purse, then she may be open to trying a holster on her person.

What you might want to do, after a while, is order her a really really nice custom holster (it would be a plus if you could use it just in case she doesn't like it :rolleyes:). Maybe one that can double as an OWB or IWB like a K&D Thunderbird Defender with some exotic sharkskin or Ostrich trim.....or just something super nice (and expensive) that you think she'd really like. Get her a matching belt to go with it too.....not too wide, stay with about 1.25" and you should be good.

Maybe, just MAYBE, that could persuade her to at least try carrying the gun on her person. Just give her enough time that you know that she's very comfortable with just having a loaded gun with her all the time. And take her to the range (or somewhere) A LOT for practice. The more comfortable we are with our gun, the better and safer we feel (and are) when carrying it. :rolleyes:

Guest canebreaker

We are looking into a concealed holster for flutterby.

She has a boss that stands over her shoulder.

He needed to have retired 2 years ago, he did.

But for some reason, he comes in to give her hell.

I need his wifes phone number. Give her a call.

keep his A$$ busy at home and away from the office.

I need a new anchor for the boat. 220 lb. ought to hold me in place for a good fishing trip for a while.

She has a boss that stands over her shoulder.

He needed to have retired 2 years ago, he did.

But for some reason, he comes in to give her hell.

I need a new anchor for the boat. 220 lb. ought to hold me in place for a good fishing trip for a while.

For little $ I'd look into a Kholster. Comfortable, secure, cant and depth adjustable, good quality, great warranty, excellent value.

If you want to spend more $ I'd check into K&D holsters....their Thunderbird Defender gets awesome reviews and has all the same features I mentioned above, but is IWB/OWB convertible and much prettier! (I'm waiting impatiently to get mine ;))

If she doesn't/can't wear a belt, I'd recommend a belly band or a Smart Holster for something that's super concealable and can be worn with any kind of clothing.

I take it you're a bit upset with this guy? :shrug:

Guest HexHead

If she ever has her purse stolen with her gun in it (like I did) or someone grabs her purse and then tries to do her harm......she'll change her mind.

Dig up the article about last week's robbery in the Target parking lot on White Bridge Rd. in Nashville. Woman was talking to a friend when a car drove up, guy jumps out, stabs her in the back and steals her purse.

That's all we need, him to now have a gun instead of a knife.

I didn't think my wife would enjoy it, but she really did and keeps asking to go back, which is a terrific surprise.

I'd add three suggestions to what you've already heard:

1) Walk through the basics before you get to the range. It's easier than yelling over the noise.

2) Try to go when the range isn't busy. Having some guy rapid-firing a .45 in the next lane wouldn't likely make her happy with the noise.

3) For the first few shots, just load one round in the magazine. That way, after she makes a really good shot, she won't spin around with her finger on the trigger and accidentally shoot you. ;)

+1 for Mr Baker. Especially larger caliber semi's. 1 round in the mag the first time. Great safety move and gives you a chance to talk about the recoil, sound, etc. She'll know what to be expecting on the next round.

I was confused about your post.....as I'm sure others that read it will be also. I had to go back to the first page to understand what you were talking about. I took the liberty of quoting the post you are commenting on so others will understand what you're saying without having to reread the entire thread. :shrug:

Welcome to TGO btw tyguy! :)

I love the German Shepherd in your avatar! Is he yours?

Guest canebreaker

He's a great guy to be around. But instead of writing out a letter and giving it to her to type. He sits behind her and tells her what to type. He could type it out on the computer, address it to her and she could check spell and log it into the system. Since he has a problem with a key board. He won't do that. If we are sitting together at our computers, I'll look over her shoulder to see where she's at. If I look to long, she will say, "Alright Bob, back off a bit"

He and I were out fishing. He asked me an electrical question. "How to ground an ungrounded outlet?" I told him I would ask an electrician when I returned to work. Since I couldn't give him an answer that quick, he thinks I'm not that bright of a guy.

Since he has crawl space under the outlet of the room. I would run a wire through the wall to the basement, drive a rod into the ground and attack the wire to it. It wouldn't be to code. It would work and would have to be pointed out to whoever buys the house later. Going by code, this job could cost a couple of hundred.