Tullahoma Guns in Parks

Guest tahoebigah

Guest tahoebigah

Recently in the Tullahoma News, Alderman Jerry Mathis is trying to opt-out of the guns in parks. I sent everyone on the Board of Mayor and Alderman a email to not opt-out of guns in parks. Everyone should email them and ask them not to opt-out. Here is a link to all the email addresses City of Tullahoma, TN - Board of Mayor & Aldermen .

Greg Sandlin which is running in the election for Alderman emailed me back tonight telling me he supports 2A rights and he seems like a really good guy and I think he would make a good Alderman. Here is his response-

Thank you for your cogent and detailed email to our current Alderman. We have an air tight and logical case for our position, while the liberals have an emotional and illogical belief. Thanks for engaging in the process.

I have made my position clear and will fight for our 2nd Amendment rights. The following is cut from the July 14th Alderman Forum - my response to the Board’s impending decision to allow or restrict firearm carry permit holders from carrying their firearms in Tullahoma City parks. –

If you elect me to the Board, I will fight to see that Tullahoma does not opt out of the new State law permitting carry permit holders from carrying I city parks.

Greg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue will be addressed after the election. If you're in Tullahoma, please vote for Greg only... don't give one of the other two an extra vote.

FYI, the Mayor is also on our side in this issue. He is the only one who responded to an email I sent several weeks ago pointing out errors in a T-News article on the subject.

Guest havanese

Before the Aug 6 election I emailed the mayor and alderman. I asked them to read an article that I posted on my website and respond to it. Only the mayor and two alderman responded. Here are their responses.

Mathis

We all have our opinions and your opinion is always very important. The

use of other cities in my statement was to call attention that voting is

being done all over our state and we as a city should bring all issues

forward before the vote is taken. I could not open your email so I do

not know how and what you used in your article. The allowing or not

allowing of guns in our city parks is not a slap at anyone with the

proper permit, because each one has had to go through a very firm

training program just to obtain. The city park is not the time or place

for guns. Example: A person is having a problem inside a park and

another individual is walking by and decides they are going to try and

help. These two people both have guns and one pulls it on another and

vise versa...shooting takes place and a small child or adult is walking

by and gets hit,,,they are very innocent and a life is lost...NOW you

tell that parent, grandparent, friend, and well wishers that it was

right to have guns in our parks. No sir it is not and I would never vote

to have them there. I may be out-voted, but not because I folded against

my beliefs. You do have your beliefs and I do respect those as well.

Station

Randy

Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to express your opinion on a very controversial subject--one which research does not provide much help. As you know the research offers conflicting results.

I appreciate your input. Mike Stanton

Mayor Bisby

Randy,

Thanks for your input.

I agree that we should not limit your right to defend yourself. So, unless there is some compelling reason that I have yet to hear, I do not have plans to opt out of the State Law.

Best Regards,

Troy

P.S. Cool website!

When this comes up, we need to remind them that one "city park" is already open to licensed handgun carry. Short Springs Natural Resource Area is co-managed by the City of Tullahoma. However as a State Natural Area, it is covered by State law, not the whims of the city.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want people to show up with talking points ... I want people to speak from their hearts about why more than criminals should be allowed to carry guns.

Oh yeah, now that the City's property around the Short Springs Nature Area is going to be designated as "green space" ... next they will want to make it a park... which will really confuse the issue out there since carry is already allowed in the Nature Area.

Edited by cybernorris
Guest UTVOL87

URGENT: Tullahoma, Tennessee to Consider Banning

Concealed Carry in Local Parks on Monday, August 24!

Please Contact Your Local Officials!

The Tullahoma City Alderman will be discussing a resolution to optout of the recently passed park carry law at the next City Board work session, which is scheduled for Monday, August 24 at 5:30pm. This work session will determine whether a special meeting will be held to vote on an opt-out resolution prior to the September 1 deadline. The public is strongly encouraged to attend the work session where they will be allowed to address the city aldermen. Please attend in support of our Second Amendment rights. It is important for you to get there early.

The best way to get your opinion through to your local officials is to contact them immediately. Please respectfully urge them not to create a confusing patchwork of laws that will close off local parks to law-abiding permit holders who simply wish to be able to protect themselves and their families. Details and contact information are provided below. Please forward this email to fellow permit holders and Second Amendment supporters.

Tullahoma (Coffee County)

When:

Work Session is on Monday, August 24 at 5:30 p.m.

The meeting will be open to the public and open to public statements after a scheduled legal presentation. Persons with a disability requiring accommodation to attend the meeting should contact City Hall prior to the meeting. Elevator access to the second floor is available.

Where:

Municipal Building

2nd floor Board Chambers

201 W. Grundy Street

Tullahoma, TN 37388

Local Officials:

All local officials can be reached by contacting City Hall at (931) 455-2648

Mayor Troy Bisby

Phone: (931) 455-2648 ext. 117 OR (931) 455-0676

Email: mayor@tullahoma-tn.com

City Administrator Jody Baltz

Phone: (931) 455-2648 ext. 109

Please click here to find out more information

Alderman James Eads

Phone: (931) 455-2308

Email: aldermaneads@yahoo.com

Alderman Mike Norris

Phone: (931) 461-5558

Email: mnorris@lighttube.net

Alderman Jerry Mathis

Phone: (931) 247-4848

Email: mathisj4@k12tn.net

Alderman Mike Stanton

Phone: (931) 581-4328

Email: stantontours@lighttube.net

Alderman Jimmy Blanks

Phone: 931-393-3921

Alderman Greg Sandlin

(931) 393-5131

I attended the board meeting and work session tonight. The good news is they appear to be taking no action on the issue, which means Tullahoma will be allowing permitted carry in the parks. There does not appear to be enough support for opting out at this time.

BTW, all members of the board commented that practically every email they had received was against opting out. More on that later.

Here's the rundown on how the issue stands with the individual members of the board (as I can recall without having taken notes):

Mayor Bisby: Initial thought was no way, but upon consideration sees it as a rights issue. I believe he mentioned toward the end how little difference there is between a playground at a fast food restaurant and a playground in a city park.

Mayor Pro Temp Mike Norris: Has personal feelings toward opting out, but very impressed with the overwhelming public sentiment he had received and would likely vote against opting out because of that feedback.

Alderman James Eads: Comments were significantly Pro-2nd Amendment and pro-HCP. Eads did suggest he would take the HCP course if the City paid for it.

Alderman Jerry Mathis: Note he is the athletic director at THS and on the TSSAA's Board of Control. Mathis expressed the liberal viewpoint of 2A as only for militia. He suggested what I interpret as a wild fear-mongering suggestion that the H.S. baseball and other school sports teams would not be able to play on the athletic fields that are part of the City parks. Mathis presented this wild scenario where a confrontation occurs and a child is killed. We must agree to disagree.

Alderman Mike Stanton: A bright spot, Stanton started out absolutely for opting out, but with constituent communication and some research is considering the issue seriously. He is not personally experienced with or even comfortable around guns. He's also taking information from the Brady Campaign. But he has apparently not decided which way he would vote. He did produce something with some statistic of the number of permit carriers in the country who have killed police officers and private citizens. He also mentioned Brady's ranking TN low in having strong gun laws.

Alderman Jimmy Blanks: While not appearing to be anti-2A or anti-HCP, he is against anyone other than police having guns in parks. He made that position public during a campaign debate a few months ago and might be merely standing on that position. Blanks did comment that his wife does not agree with this position. He also commented that he was contacted by a national lobby group and may think legitimate constituent communication is part of some organized outside effort. Has taken the HCP course, but does not show up in the Commercial Appeal database.

Alderman Greg Sandlin: Definitely pro-2A and pro-HCP. Has taken the HCP course and is listed in the Commercial Appeal database as a current HCP holder.

FYI, the City Administrator is an employee of the City and does not have a vote.

Please thank each individual for expressing their service and for expressing their opinions.

Mayor Bisby, Alderman Eads and Alderman Sandlin deserve thanks and encouragement for their position.

Alderman Norris deserves thanks and encouragement for hearing the voice of his constituents.

Alderman Stanton deserves thanks and encouragement for his research and open mind on the issue. He might be open to evidence that the Brady Campaign is not a reliable source of information on the subject.

Alderman Mathis deserves thanks for his service and polite encouragement. I will be pointing out that his fear of the schools not having a place for athletics is unfounded. The acting City Attorney pointed out that state law already prohibits firearms at school athletic events.

Also note that the City considers Frazier McEwen Park, the Rock Creek Greenway, the baseball stadium as well as the ROTC and practice fields across the creek as one parcel.. which might also include the high school and football stadium. One possible interpretation of the State law about firearms at school athletic events mentioned tonight was during a sporting event, it might be illegal to have a firearm in ANY of the park area... not just within the confines of say the baseball stadium.

So unless something changes, Tullahoma will not opt out of the State law allowing guns in parks.

Thanks to the dozen or so people who showed up tonight to show and voice their support. I also appreciate the one person who showed up against the issue.

Guest havanese

I appreciate your post and well informed news of the meeting. I have emailed each one and expressed my encouragement of our local officials in allowing me to defend my family when visiting our local parks.

Good Job.

After reading the TNews article, I think we need to politely point out to Alderman Mathis that the Attorney General, in Opinion No. 09-129, has addressed the issue of schools using athletic fields in public parks where carry is legal.

I know that the acting City Attorney referenced this AG opinion during the work session. I hope that Alderman Mathis has not yet had the opportunity to put together his concern about the baseball stadium and that opinion.

Here is the AG opinion.

Second school carry is generally prohibited under 39-17-1309 which in part states:

© (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

Edited by cybernorris
Guest havanese
After reading the TNews article, I think we need to politely point out to Alderman Mathis that the Attorney General, in Opinion No. 09-129, has addressed the issue of schools using athletic fields in public parks where carry is legal.

I emailed Alderman Mathis with this information, but from my earlier emails he has no desire to see the other side of this debate.

I emailed Alderman Mathis with this information, but from my earlier emails he has no desire to see the other side of this debate.

You are correct that he will not change his vote. However we can hopefully get him to acknowledge that his "fear" of the baseball team having no place to play is unfounded.

Guest havanese

I tired to find an email address to the person who wrote the article for the Tullahoma News to relay this info to them since they wanted to dwell on it so heavily...no luck.

Guest havanese
so tullahoma and manchester didnt opt out right?i red alot of what mathis said and let me say its some of the most ridicolous stuff i have ever heard.

Manchester did opt out, Tullahoma did not, although Mathis said he will continue to bring it up (until it gets changed).

• 2 weeks later...

About the same number spoke as at the study session a few weeks ago. There were several good speakers for the right to carry including: a lady who said she had not intended to speak but said how much safer she felt knowing that there were handgun carry permit holders out and about, Jack from Executive Protection Bureau, and a person telling of being robbed at gunpoint. There were also a few more than last time against carry in parks. After much discussion in which Eads and Sandlin took the lead in defending 2A, Norris personally for opting out but going with the overwhelming wish of his constituents, and Bisby feeling no need to opt out, a motion was made to put Chapter 428 on the agenda for the next meeting in which a vote to opt out would be taken. That motion failed 4-3 with Mathis, Stanton, and Blanks wanting to put it on the next meeting's agenda. Therefore, opting out of Chapter 428 will not be on the next meeting's agenda. I would think this has been settled until at least the next election. Carry on!