AR 15 vs Sig 556 vs HK SL8

WRH51

Let's see where this goes. Looking for some advice on these rifles. Looking for reliability and accuracy. I am drawn to the HK for some reason. Those of you with the Sig or Hk please chime in. I know the AR variations are infinite but looking to stay mostly stock. I plan on putting on a nice scope and thats about it. Thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I'm a fan of the SIG-556, don't have one, but have handled them, and for some reason really like it. I'm a fan of SIG's in general, so I have a bias towards them. One issue with them is weight, they're fairly heavy compared to a traditional AR. And when you start adding accessories to them, it just get's worse.

I love the look of the HK SL8's, and am also a big fan of HK's stuff in general, but have no experience with them. Their cost is going to be slightly above the SIG, so once you add a nice scope, you're pushing $2500+

Going with a standard AR variant, you're getting a tried and true design. It's relatively lightweight, there are tons of options to go with if you get the bug and decide not to keep it stock. And you can get a nice stock AR for way less than the other two, and use the money you save on a bad arse scope.

Guest HexHead
I'm a fan of the SIG-556, don't have one, but have handled them, and for some reason really like it. I'm a fan of SIG's in general, so I have a bias towards them. One issue with them is weight, they're fairly heavy compared to a traditional AR. And when you start adding accessories to them, it just get's worse.

How did you miss shooting mine down in Winchester? :)

I've got a 556 and really like it. Yeah, it's a little heavier than an AR, but I didn't buy it instead of an AR, I bought it instead of an M1A, so it's lighter. ;)

I prefer the gas system, it's like an AK built like a Swiss watch, so it eats any kind of ammo without issues. It's a little more muzzle heavy due to the gas system, but that helps keep the muzzle down for quick follow up shots. It's very accurate. Only issue is the 1:7 twist prefers heavier rounds than the easily found 55 gr. ammo for optimum accuracy.

Guest JHatmaker
How did you miss shooting mine down in Winchester? :rolleyes:

I've got a 556 and really like it. Yeah, it's a little heavier than an AR, but I didn't buy it instead of an AR, I bought it instead of an M1A, so it's lighter. B)

I prefer the gas system, it's like an AK built like a Swiss watch, so it eats any kind of ammo without issues. It's a little more muzzle heavy due to the gas system, but that helps keep the muzzle down for quick follow up shots. It's very accurate. Only issue is the 1:7 twist prefers heavier rounds than the easily found 55 gr. ammo for optimum accuracy.

I was going to but we ran out of time, and I was having issues with my Bushmaster.

Guest m4coyote

Among others, I own a Colt Match HBAR, a Smith & Wesson M&P 15T, a Sig 556 Commando, and an H&K SL8-6.

The AR15 variants are easier to get accessories for, and the Sig 556 is a very nice weapon, but the H&K SL8 is the most accurate of my bunch. It is more of a "target" rifle than the others. It has a lower capacity 10 round magazine, thumb hole stock, heavy barrel, and a pretty nice stock trigger - although the Sig 556 has the best stock trigger.

It would really depend upon what you are looking for in a rifle. If you like punching paper, appreciate some very small groups, above average build quality, and appreciate something different, then the SL8 is for you.

If you like to personalize or accessorize your rifle, then the sky is the limit with the AR15 type rifles. You can build a heavy barrel upper for target shooting, an M4 type upper for for the fun of it, a .22lr upper for the cheap ammo, and use them all on the same lower receiver. The lower receiver can be fitted with just about any stock imaginable, a match quality trigger, etc.

If you like the operating principal of an AK, with gas piston operation, a sweet trigger, and great build quality, then the Sig 556 is a great rifle.

If this is going to be your first rifle of this type, then I would suggest an AR of some type. Most of the elemental AR parts ( magazines, scope mounts, sights, etc.) can be easily found. All basic Ar's can be looked at as a foundation for what you want your rifle to be.

Guest HexHead
I was going to but we ran out of time, and I was having issues with my Bushmaster.

Seems like a lot of ARs were having issues that day?

have each.

ar15 - most widely available add ons and parts. of course quality of parts can range as high as you want. very versatile platform. options for gas impingement or piston... i'm a huge fan of the piston, to each his own... don't bother flaming me.

sig 556 - awesome firearm, well designed and thought out. very robust, super easy to clean and takedown. piston driven and ubber reliable. limited aftermarket add ons but improving. HOWEVER, as with most european rifles, the charging handle is on the right side of the recvr... not a problem for some, don't care for it myself. i would change over to this platform entirely but for this reason... just me however.

HK - very accurate, very sexy, very exotic, very spendy, and very very hard to get service and parts for. (read impossible). HK seems to care nothing about the civilian market at this time. too bad for them and for us.

let me point out the Para Ordnance TTR rifle...

Para USA, High-Quality Handguns: Special Forces and Law Enforcement

it's really that good.

Guest m4coyote

It seems as if the new Para rifles are take offs of the ZM products - LR 300 Rifles

One clear advantage to these, is that they allow the use of a folding stock. The action spring is above the barrel, instead of the usual buffer tube location.

Lots of good info. I have noticed the HKs with the gray furniture are less expensive than the black. I have seen a couple comments about the durability of the gray. Is this really a concern if you handle the rifle carefully? Is the price difference just due to demand for the black furniture? As for the Sig, are all the variations the same as far as trigger and accuracy? I like what I have seen about the accuracy of the Hk. I know I can build an AR as accurate as I need but don't really have time to build. Thanks for the info all.

Guest m4coyote

My experience with the SL8-1 (grey) vs. the SL8-6 (black) is that the SL8-6 has updated trigger parts and a better trigger pull, a different more compact & higher upper rail, forward rail attachment points on the sides of the forearm, and barrel cooing vents on the upper section of the forearm. The forearm on the -6 variant resembles those found on some of the G36 rifles.

The black SL8-6 rifles are the latest manufactured, and have just a few more bells and whistles than the grey SL8-1 series.

Just for your info, ProMag does make a nice 20 round single stack magazine for the SL8 rifles.

• 2 weeks later...