How did you guys spend 9/11?

BimmerFreak

How did you guys spend 9/11?

As 9/11/07 passes, I would to think of this day not as an anniversary or memorial, but as a day for myself, and those like me to reaffirm our commitment to the safety and well being of our countrymen.

For me, today was special.

I am currently attending the Army's SFAUC Course or Special Forces Advanced Urban Combat Course.

Over 2 weeks of advanced firearms training and engagements, room clearing, force of force training, super-duper black bag ninja stuff, etc.

What better way to remember 9/11 than to spend it with your brothers in arms on the range for 10 hours!

As I took to the range today, I remembered back 6 years ago when shortly after 9/11/01 I found myself leading a group of 39 men to the Middle East in the opening days of our War on Terror.

In the time since I first stepped onto that bird, over 3000 U.S. Service members have given their lives to insure that those attacks are never repeated.

Another 50,000+ Service members have been wounded, their lives changed forever, in that same effort.

With those thoughts and figures in my head, it made each and every engagement seem a bit more important to me.

Regardless of what events, and what leadership successes or failures led or contributed to the attacks that day, America changed forever that day.

Today, I reaffirmed my plead to this nation, and to my brothers to the right and left of me on that firing line.

I am committed to defending this nation, and if called to do so, am prepared to lay my life on the line for the safety of those in my unit, and those across America.

/babble.

**Authors note:

Im sorry if this seems like a incoherent rant.

I am smoked for 4 days of intense training, but wanted to record my thoughts and feelings of the day.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Lots of reflection, both on a personal and a "national" level. Continually mindful of and thankful for the fact that there are thousands of sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, dads, moms, husbands, wives out there right now putting their lives on the line for our nation and it's interests.

Have fun with all of that super-duper uber ninja stuff, Joe!

Guest Medic908

Worked (just another day - living the dream), took time while at work to remember where I was that morning six years ago and how it has changed my outlook personally over that time.

I'd like to echo the thanks to all of our members of the armed services for making their sacrifice and commitment to making/keeping our country safe.

First, thanks to Joe and Mars and all others who have served.

Yesterday started off with some pain as I had some dental work done. I then went to work, the same job as 6 years ago. Not much going on so I had a chance to reflect on the state of the nation and world then and now. I thought a little about how 9/11 impacted my family (lost some neighbors back home in NJ, my dad used to work on the 92nd floor of the north tower at ground zero), myself, and the world.

I watched some of the anniversary events on TV (the dentist has a TV in the ceiling of every room so you can watch while under the drill), but mostly I thought about the issue of "moving on" vs. "honoring the victims." Still working out where I stand on that, since I think it is possible to do both.

One thing I do know, Bin Laden's capture or death will help in that process. After December 7, 1941 we had a whole nation up in arms and with the goal of defeating the enemy. Less than 4 years later, the deed was done. Unfortunately, the nature of war has changed and its 6 years after 9/11 and we are still at it.

Made all preparations for getting underway.

And today am at sea again - or should say, as usual.

9/11 occurred about 60 days after I retired from active duty. I couldn't reverse my retirement, so I signed up with Military Sealift Command. They'd asked me prior to my retirement, but before 9/11 I was extremely uninterested in spending more time away from family, friends, and "a life". (14+ of my 20 was spent at sea).

Since signing on with MSC I have had about two months out of the year at home. I've certainly spent more than that in the Gulf. It does make some things difficult: Honey-do chores, home improvement, the neighbor who caused my wife to get a CCW. I feel like I have contributed something, though. Not 'in the line' anymore, but I've brought them a bunch of "beans, bullets and gas".

And hey, I get two honeymoons a year. How cool is that?

Well, I spent the day thinking about my family, and decided to call up a friend of mine. He's now a first SGT, stationed in Germany.

we talked for a bit...he's now considered "old army"..which is weird because we knew some REAL old army types...30 year NCO's who brooked no disrespect of any sort, john wayne toilet paper and took us on 30 mile "fun runs" from time to time, to make sure we could do it.

have you ever run 30 miles in 3 hours for P.T? back then, the worst thing that would happen would be that I missed chow because we got back after it closed.

now days, the only way I'm running 30 miles is if there's a lion behind me.