Leaving Threads Marked Unread when Unread

Is it an option or possibility to leave threads marked unread until you have actually read/opened them?

I know most forums work the way TGO is currently with each login changing threads to read type status. I also spend a little time at Brian Enos Forum and really like that the threads show unread until you actually open them.

I find it handy when I don't have time to look at all things of potential interest and can tell where I'm at when I come back.

Just and idea YMMV.

Thanks,

Mike

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I made a change whereby it will no longer be based on session cookies but actually be tracked by the forum database as to whether unread threads exist for a member. The catch to this is that it will reportedly case an increase of CPU utilization on our web server, so I will need to monitor this and might have to change it back if it slows things down too much.

We'll wait and see how it goes.

if i click new posts all the posts i haven't read pop up, i clicked this one and read it, i then went back to click new posts and this one was gone from the list (because i read it) so then i either have to go to quick links and click todays posts or back to the forum heading to get back to this thread. whereas you used to be able to just click new posts and any posts that were new since the last time you visited were all up there, whether you read them or not. guess i'm just used to the old way. sorry, it's not that big a deal

• Administrator
WOW that was fast. I didn't expect that fast of a reply much less a change in the function of the forum. It's seems to be working. I hope it doesn't cause much increase on the CPU and others aren't negatively affected.

Thanks,

Mike

We aim to please. :D

Tungsten, this is a great alternitave to my suggestion as well. I like it!!!

Really? Cool... glad it helped you out too!

Guest Boomhower

I absolutely love it. And it came just in time. I'll be in TX next week, so I won't have to spend 4 hrs. in front of the computer on my first log in when I get back.