2nd amendment rights concerning dogs

I am a dog lover and a Doberman owner. I hate people that let their dogs run free. If I had my way they would spend a week in jail for each offense and the dog would go to a rescue.

I can shoot a criminal and go eat lunch. But a dog would get a second chance. :hat:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Swamprunner
I am a dog lover and a Doberman owner. I hate people that let their dogs run free. If I had my way they would spend a week in jail for each offense and the dog would go to a rescue.

I can shoot a criminal and go eat lunch. But a dog would get a second chance. :hat:

Yeah, like you said.:P

Guest mikedwood

Get to know the dog and be a good neighbor first

That's some good advise.

Plus sometimes shooting a dog will make for a gun fight later.

I would exhaust all other options 1st and it would have to be to save a kid or family member for me to shoot a dog.

I had a neighbors dog (a black lab) that kept getting more aggressive to me and my family. He kept coming in my yard. He was getting worse and worse.

She was a single lady living alone so I figure the dog was doing just as he should, just didn't want him doing it in my yard. So I shot him in the chest with a sling shot and marble size bb real good. He turned around and sat on his porch like a gargolye till she got home. He never even looked at my yard again.

A couple of weeks later she was in her yard doing yard work and we talked a bit. She told me "He has been a lot clamer the last couple of weeks hasn't he?" I said "Yeah, he's a good dog"

Guest 3pugguy

In Montgomery County, if the dog is on your property you can shoot it(I live in the county). I know this because of an incident we had with a neighbor's pit bull (I feel sorry for the dog, to be honest). Short version - Christmas time, dark, I was checking the lights around the garage door; wife went down to get the mail (we had just come home). She starts yelling and I see her running up the drive (about 125 feet +/- to the road from the house). I then see the dog, coming after her; he turns away and goes back across the road.

I went to see the neighbor while my wife called the Sheriff to see what the options were - and I told the neighbor, do not be confused: if the dog comes on my property again, it will be dead. That is not something I want to do, as the dog acts as he was raised and unlike people, is not acting a certain way due to "free will".

Deputy confirmed I would be within my rights to do so. We love dogs, but will not tolerate a dog coming after a person. It's not an issue of the dog being on our property - that doesn't hurt anything. Heck, we have a "step dog" who visits most days for morning cookies. We keep all of our dogs within our large fenced yard and they can come in and out of the house via a dog door.

The dog has not come back, but I know if push comes to shove, I am legal if I do have to shoot the poor guy (and hope it doesn't come to that).

I say I feel sorry for the dog cause take care of him - like so many a-holes in this state. I'd like to chain animal abuser up outside for a while and see how they like it. (or put them into a pen to fight other a-holes).

Edited by 3pugguy
Guest 3pugguy
If i ever caught any SOB shooting at one of my dogs, i would shoot the SOB! No matter who he was!:rolleyes:

And you would be in jail - rightly so.

I don't have my dogs running loose and if they were, they are not (any of the seven of them) viscious breeds and would not hurt anyone or another dog.

Your statement is even more ridiculous, as the original poster was addressing someone's dog being on his property or being in a situation where it could attack child.

So if your dogs are on your property, you should have no problem. Maybe you should think before you type such nonsense.

Edited by 3pugguy
In Montgomery County, if the dog is on your property you can shoot it(I live in the county).

If you told the same story to the deputy that you did in the post, surely he meant you could shoot the dog because it was a threat, not just because it was on your property.

Now I'm not saying a person would be charged with it everywhere in the state, but as I said..AFAIK you can shoot a dog just because it is on your property. But you can shoot a dog that is a threat just about anywhere, unless you are trespassing on the dog owner's property. (But I know of a case in Lexington where even that was dismissed by the judge)

Guest 270win

A good pellet gun will teach this dog to never come in your yard again. I've done it several times and if you shoot them in the butt, they'll usually not stray on your property. Get a good CO2 gun and be discreet if you live in town. The best thing is if your neighbor is gone when the dog comes in your yard.

If the dog came in my yard and was threatening, well it would just be a dead dog. I don't have a high tolerance for a dog to be 'threatening' because I'm not going to risk getting bit. A dog is like any other animal(I hunt and don't have a problem in general killing animals) to me...I'd rather not kill someone's pet but again it is just an animal. If, by chance, I had to kill someone's dog, I would be sure and call the police, mainly to deal with a ticked off neighbor. Let the police tell the neighbor that he should have had his dog penned up so that it wouldn't roam in someone's yard. A dog's owner is ultimately responsible for what the dog does and also what happens to it. If it gets killed, the owner has to come get it.

Guest Muttling

Pepper is also a really good option for dogs. If you shoot (even just to scare off) make sure that you allowed to do so in your area. My brother is a part time LEO and has cited a couple of people for discharging a firearm within city limits when they shot to scare off a dog.

Um,that means you would have to go in the house,retrieve your rifle,then return. I don't believe that would be good for you since the threat would be removed as soon as you entered the house.

Threat removed from me, but I am most concerned about my 2 year old, wife, and small dog more than myself. I can run inside, grab my AR or a handgun and be ready to defend in less than 30 seconds.

So I shot him in the chest with a sling shot and marble size bb real good. He turned around and sat on his porch like a gargolye till she got home. He never even looked at my yard again.

A couple of weeks later she was in her yard doing yard work and we talked a bit. She told me "He has been a lot clamer the last couple of weeks hasn't he?" I said "Yeah, he's a good dog"

:) I have a pump BB gun that I could pump a couple times and deal out some mild righteous fury. :shake::D

Don't worry guys, I don't go guns blazing at the first sign of trouble. I will make friends first and see how the dog reacts.

He totally ignored me while I was mowing the other night. I got pretty close to the area he was chained up to, and he just glanced at me a couple times. I think he'll be ok.

Edited by BenS

Seems to me this can all be be addressed with two words, "Common Sense".

1) Be a responsinble dog owner. Don't let your animals run free and be a nuisance to your neighbors. If you think they could bite someone, keep them in a secure location on your property. By this I mean so they can't leave your property, not that they shouldn't be able to be out in the yard, etc. If something happens to your dog because you didn't keep control of it, blame yourself.

2) Be a responsible parent. Don't let your kid(s) run free and be a nuisance to your neighbors. Too many times these days parents think their kids can go and do whatever they want and it is everyone else's fault for not tolerating it. If your kid goes into someone else's yard and gets bit, blame yourself, not the dog or owner.

3) If you are in a situation that makes you feel uncomfortable, get out of that situation if possible. Call animal control or the police and let them take the animal. (Personally I sometimes wish there was Kid Control too, but that is another story)

4) If you child or animal is attacked by a dog, do what you think you need to do to protect your child or animal. I highly doubt in most cases it would be to shoot the dog, but if that is what it comes to, you better be prepared to justify it.

5) Don't be stupid. All of this macho BS about I would do this and I would do that kills me. You better know the consequences and be prepared to pay for them. Your not just dealing with the law, but emotional parents and/or dog owners. Common Sense may not apply.

True Story from my hometown in IL.

Child walked into the neighbors yard and the neighbors dog who was on a leash and well inside the property line bit the little girl. Her father went over and shot the dog. The dogs owner went over and when the father answered the door, shot and killed him.

Moral of the story, No one wins! One is dead, the other in jail.

Guest 3pugguy
If you told the same story to the deputy that you did in the post, surely he meant you could shoot the dog because it was a threat, not just because it was on your property.

Now I'm not saying a person would be charged with it everywhere in the state, but as I said..AFAIK you can shoot a dog just because it is on your property. But you can shoot a dog that is a threat just about anywhere, unless you are trespassing on the dog owner's property. (But I know of a case in Lexington where even that was dismissed by the judge)

Yes, sorry - my intent is not to be, as some might be on this board (hopefully in jest) trigger happy. I did relay the story and the DS said the key is on your property; he offered that with a common sense measure that it has to be a threat.

Besides, who in their right mind would shoot a dog or anything else just for trespass? If that were the case, I'd have to shoot the drunk farmhand who lives up the road and every now and then wanders in to "visit" - we made the mistake of being nice to him so now we are BFF, I guess, and when he is visiting his other friends, BUD and JACK, figures we need his company, LOL.

I would not shoot a dog just for being somewhere including my yard and again what the deputy said was as you note - if a real threat. Dogs can (and do)come and go as they please, as they aren't hurting anything, including the pit bull if he is just wandering around doing dog things - sniffing, etc. But I think the owner needs a swift kick in the you know what and maybe some buckshot - the ahole doesn't take care of the poor old dog.

So I do feel for the dog and my much nicer than me wife has forbidden any discussion of shooting him - she has gotten a BB gun (some here mentioned using light .22 to sting a troublemaker) and the time or two since he has gotten loose and come to visit, he has decided he does not like the sting of the BB (she is really good shot with that dang thing - as she is with her carry pistol).

But if the dog was trying to attack, that would of course be differnt and if the only option is to shoot them, that would be sad but necessary. I warned the neighbor, because this is not the first time their dog has caused issues for others - going after people.

We have rescued five of the seven dogs we have, so I am the last person in the world who wants to see a dog hurt or cause harm to one just for doing dog stuff.

Guest 3pugguy
Seems to me this can all be be addressed with two words, "Common Sense".

1) Be a responsinble dog owner. Don't let your animals run free and be a nuisance to your neighbors. If you think they could bite someone, keep them in a secure location on your property. By this I mean so they can't leave your property, not that they shouldn't be able to be out in the yard, etc. If something happens to your dog because you didn't keep control of it, blame yourself.

2) Be a responsible parent. Don't let your kid(s) run free and be a nuisance to your neighbors. Too many times these days parents think their kids can go and do whatever they want and it is everyone else's fault for not tolerating it. If your kid goes into someone else's yard and gets bit, blame yourself, not the dog or owner.

3) If you are in a situation that makes you feel uncomfortable, get out of that situation if possible. Call animal control or the police and let them take the animal. (Personally I sometimes wish there was Kid Control too, but that is another story)

4) If you child or animal is attacked by a dog, do what you think you need to do to protect your child or animal. I highly doubt in most cases it would be to shoot the dog, but if that is what it comes to, you better be prepared to justify it.

5) Don't be stupid. All of this macho BS about I would do this and I would do that kills me. You better know the consequences and be prepared to pay for them. Your not just dealing with the law, but emotional parents and/or dog owners. Common Sense may not apply.

True Story from my hometown in IL.

Child walked into the neighbors yard and the neighbors dog who was on a leash and well inside the property line bit the little girl. Her father went over and shot the dog. The dogs owner went over and when the father answered the door, shot and killed him.

Moral of the story, No one wins! One is dead, the other in jail.

Therein lies the problem - you expect folks to apply common sense.:rolleyes:

Guest 3pugguy

I can shoot a criminal and go eat lunch. But a dog would get a second chance. :rolleyes:

+1 Dave.

And too many mistreat their dogs...

Guest 3pugguy
I was simply referring to several SOB's who stated that if a dog ran across their prop. they would shoot it!:rolleyes::screwy:

OK, but you might still want to temper that assertion of shooting a person over a dog. Forums are not private communications.

Guest witchdr

check the michie law database there is a law in TN that says no animal is allowed to be left loose except hunting dogs on the hunt or training this includes dogs so the local law should be pressing charges for these animals being left loose

Guest 3pugguy
check the michie law database there is a law in TN that says no animal is allowed to be left loose except hunting dogs on the hunt or training this includes dogs so the local law should be pressing charges for these animals being left loose

Montgomery County does have a county-wide leash law. But I don't think most people who grew up in the country like I did (gone for years in the Navy but still a country boy at heart) mind a dog running around. We keep ours in a large fenced yard and they come and go thru a dog door into the house.

It's only when a dog is hurting people, smaller dogs or livestock that a problem exists, imho. Some other posters have written the local dogs know their voices and will skedaddle when told to do so.

But I also recall very clearly packs of feral dogs on our farm when I was a kid and having to keep an eye out during calving season (why donkeys or mules are a good mix with cows - they will go after a dog or coyote in a second).

Guest danxd45

We had a couple Goats get killed a few weeks ago by some dogs. They dug under the pen in two places. We never saw them but there were paw prints everywhere in the pen. Me and a buddy stayed up that night (dead goats still in pen) to see if they came back. A few dogs came by, but none went in the pen. I'm pretty sure it wasn't coyotes, as the prints looked too large.

I have no idea where the dogs live

I have no idea which dog did the deed ( have seen 4 different dogs at different time sniffing around the pen)

I think I will just keep my pellet gun handy and teach all the roaming dogs to stay away.......

Guest 270win

Yeah you have to be kind of discreet when popping dogs with a pellet gun, especially in town. The old timers, i've heard, used rat shot out of 22's. That probably wouldn't feel good either, but wouldn't be as quiet as a pellet gun. Roaming half wild dogs are a big problem out in the country and the thing some folks don't understand is there is no animal control in those areas. The people living out there are the animal control....they just have to often times get rid of the roaming half wild ones themselves with a good rifle and mess with dumping a diseased dog.

In Montgomery County, if the dog is on your property you can shoot it(I live in the county).

I dont see a Montogmery County exception to this statute.

39-14-205. Intentional killing of animal.

(a) (1) (A) It is an offense to knowingly and unlawfully kill the animal of another without the owner's effective consent.

(:) A violation of subdivision (a)(1)(A) is theft of property, graded according to the value of the animal, and punished in accordance with 39-14-105.

(2) In determining the value of a police dog, fire dog, search and rescue dog, service animal or police horse under 39-14-105, the court shall consider the value of the police dog, fire dog, search and rescue dog, service animal or police horse as both the cost of the animal and any specialized training the animal received.

(:P A person is justified in killing the animal of another if the person acted under a reasonable belief that the animal was creating an imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury to that person or another or an imminent danger of death to an animal owned by that person. A person is not justified in killing the animal of another if at the time of the killing the person is trespassing upon the property of the owner of the animal. The justification for killing the animal of another authorized by this subsection (B) shall not apply to a person who, while engaging in or attempting to escape from criminal conduct, kills a police dog that is acting in its official capacity. In that case the provisions of subsection (a) shall apply to the person.

See also White v. State, 193 Tenn. 631, 249 S.W. 2d 877, 1952 Tenn. Holding that fact that dogs were trespassing on defendant's property did not bar the owner from recovery of their value.

Edited by jwb68