Facebook - No non-sporting pictures of fireamrs allowed

The following is facebook's stance from Firearm's inc.

<table style="width: 518px; height: 158px;" class="info_table" border="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>

Facebook has decided that any pictures of people posing with guns or arsenals in a non-sporting context are inherently threatening to other users and thus a violation of our Terms of Use. As a result, these photos have been removed and will not be restored. Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

Jerry

Customer Support Representative

Facebook

</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="info_table" border="0" cellspacing="0"><caption>

</caption></table>I hope I am posting this in the right place. I see this as another example of the "covert" war against the shooting sports as well as gun onership. I really believe that anti-gun people are seeking to make gun owners seem as the minority... this is just another way.

BTW...

There is now a group started on Facebook called...

"Bring back non-sporting pictures of Firearms on Facebook"

They have 741 memebrs... some are still unloading pictures of there guns

and getting them deleted with warnings that they may have their accounts deleted.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief, why would you care if your account was deleted on a service like that?

Keep in mind, it's mostly populated by college kids... impressionable college kids taught by anti-gun teachers.

To be fair there are MANY groups with names like "College Students for Concealed Carry on Campus", and variations like that. Anyplace that you can educate people on firearms (especially college kids) is a good thing.

As far as Facebook, Myspace, Comicspace, etc.... they are some of the best forms of free advertising you can get. Everything from bands, to businesses have "profiles". (At least on myspace, facebook trys to keep it people only.)

A third of my hits to my comic come from my MySpace profile I set up. The facebook profile is new, another way to pimp the comic.;)

I did some more digging through facebook. It seems that may have been an old policy

that has... uh... faded away. :lol:

I found several "groups" for specific Firearm manufactors, and models... with ALOT of gun only pictures.

Makes me think they are no longer enforcing there policy.

Lol, the kind of images they are talking about are really some bad taste stuff. Like ummmm....a photochopped rendition of a guy holding a gun to the head of his ex...stuff like that. You probably want a rule like that on the books and they probably do enforce it when there is a complaint. I would hope that they do anyway.

I find it kind of funny you think "college kids" are impressionable...or that you think college professors are inherently left wingers. Neither is true.

I didn't mean any of that as a absolute. I should have typed a little better.

As far as college kids being impressionable, I would say that in their freshman year they are more so. For some (not all) it's their first true taste of independence, and a different social circle they may not have been exposed to.

Not meaning they are easily brainwashed, but more so easily led. (But that's just me.)

I'm a junior at UT and the only people that are really impressionable when they get here are the "preacher's daughter" types, other then that most people have figured out who they are by then. But I would agree with the most teachers being liberals, if I've had a conservative teacher yet (excluding grad students) they hid it really well.

I don't want to start a food fight here, but the older you get, the more you know how impressionable you were in your younger days. What's the old saying? Something along the lines that when I was young, my father was obviously very stupid, but the older I became, the smarter he got.

I do agree with your analogy but I don't really see how it applies to this.

Hahaha. Oh yeah, thats impressionable.

Now, back to the titans game...the ribs are almost done.

I saw something about this the other day. I "friend" of mine had pictures pulled. They were of him with a bandana over his face and aiming teo handguns into the camera. I could care less to see pictures like that but I also dont have any like that. I think the biggest thing is the pictures of people posing for pictures in a threatening way. Probably not one of the best tings to do for a college student as, faculty and potential employers are always looking through facebook.

Probably not one of the best tings to do for a college student as, faculty and potential employers are always looking through facebook.

I don't think I'd give a squat about the faculty looking me up, but employers want people who don't act like goofy kids. Your point is well taken.

Isn't that discrimination? is there legal basis for a lawsuit by some shyster lawyer?

I’ll take a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:stockticker>WAG</st1:stockticker> and say no. Because if it were discrimination someone would have went for the really “Deep Pocketsâ€â€¦ eBay. :P