New USAF Airman Battle Uniform (ABU)

Guest Verbal Kint

Guest Verbal Kint

With the amount of military members on here, just figured some might be interested in seeing the new Air Force ABU (Airman Battle Uniform) that we're phasing into. Just got mine back from getting all the name tapes, patches, etc sewn on... so figured I'd snap a quick photo for you guys while I had it on.

Wash and wear (no ironing or polishing boots), but you can only use certain detergents... since it has a NiR (Near Infra Red) heat-signature-blocking technology on it. Digitalized tiger-stripe pattern, based on the Vietnam era camo, with "Air Force colors". :koolaid:

Info on ABU : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airman_Battle_Uniform

Click Photo Below:

Yancy_-_ABU.JPG

Photo edited to conceal identity, and protect you from my sheer sexiness. You couldn't handle it. :up:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had some guys in my shop say the material was very thick. Worse then the winter BDU's. But my brother in Iraq just got his and he loves them. He said that once you wash them a few times they feel like pajamas. I'm sure I will get mine before too long. I just hope they are more durable then the ACU's I used to wear.

Guest Verbal Kint
I had some guys in my shop say the material was very thick. Worse then the winter BDU's. But my brother in Iraq just got his and he loves them. He said that once you wash them a few times they feel like pajamas. I'm sure I will get mine before too long. I just hope they are more durable then the ACU's I used to wear.

I wouldn't say it's "thick" but the material is definitely heavier in weight, if that makes any sense. Just picking the shirt up, you can notice the weight to it. However, it actually breathes (most importantly) a lot better than the current uniforms, and is much more comfortable... and I thought the BDUs were comfortable, actually.

They seem like they will be quite durable in how they are made, and the quality they used... and the tests they did, prior to green-lighting the production lines, have attested to that.

All in all, I like them and think you will also. Buying 4 sets for the deployment minimum, with all patches/hats/goretex/etc since you can't mix any of the old gear with the new, is quite expensive. I just got my clothing allowance, and the cost still ran over that by a good percentage. :-\

But, hey, they're not mandatory 'till 2011. lol

Guest Verbal Kint
Glad to see the AF is getting CIA Veitnam era hand me downs. lol

Nah... that would have been too easy. This is the all new, multi-million-dollar, 6-versions-till-now, Vietnam era ripoffs! There was quite a bit of work involved in taking this design. :koolaid:

I wouldn't say it's "thick" but the material is definitely heavier in weight, if that makes any sense. Just picking the shirt up, you can notice the weight to it. However, it actually breathes (most importantly) a lot better than the current uniforms, and is much more comfortable... and I thought the BDUs were comfortable, actually.

They seem like they will be quite durable in how they are made, and the quality they used... and the tests they did, prior to green-lighting the production lines, have attested to that.

All in all, I like them and think you will also. Buying 4 sets for the deployment minimum, with all patches/hats/goretex/etc since you can't mix any of the old gear with the new, is quite expensive. I just got my clothing allowance, and the cost still ran over that my a good percentage. :-

But, hey, they're not mandatory 'till 2011. lol

Ah the joys of being in the guard. They buy all my gear for me since I don't get a clothing allowance. :koolaid:

Guest Verbal Kint
Ah the joys of being in the guard. They buy all my gear for me since I don't get a clothing allowance. :up:

Yeah, well... that's the price some of us pay, by earning our stripes, rather than by who you can kill off above you and take their spot. :koolaid:

;)

P.S. - I'm thinking about going Reserves/Guard next July, after I seperate from AD.

Yeah, well... that's the price some of us pay, by earning our stripes, rather than by who you can kill off above you and take their spot. :koolaid:

:up:

P.S. - I'm thinking about going Reserves/Guard next July, after I seperate from AD.

Yeah I did my AD time...And don't worry, as a SrA you won't need to kill anyone off to make rank for a while. ;)

I used to love when the reservists and guard came to the base. A lot more women to look at. The only down side was the long lines at the chow hall. Those uniforms look okay, but the boots were what I liked.

Most of the guys at basic were complaining about blisters on their feet from the boots. I had been wearing them for years and even took my own pair with me though I never got to wear them, I hide my issued boots in comfortable shape in no time.