24/7

Guest DEIMOS

I'm planning on getting a Taurus 24/7 .45 when I get my taxes. The pistol feels real nice and I like the SA/DA trigger. I have heard real nice things about it from people who own one. Does anyone here own one, and what, if anything should I be aware of before I purchase one?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are JUNK.

What about them qualifies them as junk? I've not really heard anything specifically bad about them. I suppose anyone can get a lemon, but I don't want to spend on something I will regret. I am trying to make an educated decision.

The guy I know who has one has been in LE for 25 years or so and normally carries a G23. He practices just about weekly, more often in warmer weather. He isn't a neophyte and he certanly doesn't consider the 45 ACP 24/7 junk. As mentioned, I've been carrying professionally for a long time too. The 24/7 isn't junk. Not what I'd carry, but certainly OK if you insist on a 45. I don't care for them in the other calibers because of ergonomic issues.

BTW, I like Glocks OK for duty use but I never recommend them for self defense carry.

Why would you not recommend them for carry ?

I knew that was coming. :(

Let's face it, there are more accidental/inadvertent/whatever discharges with Glocks. They are so common that we have coined a name for them over at HK94. We call them "Glockings". In my little area alone, we have had at least seven people shoot themselves in the butt or leg with a Glock in the past three years. It's not the gun's fault of course. Something hits the trigger (their finger normally) when they remove or replace their Glock from the holster. There are just other guns out that don't seem to have this "problem."

I think Glocks are very good duty weapons. They are very highly reliable and don't have a safety that you need to fool with to fire it. Occasionally a cop shoots himself with his Glock while qualifying or practicing. I think the last I remember in Tennessee was in Claiborne county, but it's normally the public that has the problem.

For most people who carry for self-protection, they just don't have the training or mindset to carry an easily discharged handgun safely. Yes...I know...none of you have that problem. :cry:

So, I always recommend a gun that can either be de-cocked and re-cocked and fired either SA or DA, or one with a good DAO action.

I find that most people who carry Glocks want a reliable handgun and choose one "like the cops carry." Problem is, there is a good reason for cops to carry a Glock, or other reliable handgun that is always ready to quickly fire. But that doesn't mean a handgun like that is the best one for the public to carry for protection. The public needs a gun that can always fire, but not one so easily fired that they significantly increase the danger to themselves in carrying it.

That's my position, and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Glock was never a serious consideration for me. I know they are very reliable, but the price tag does not fit my budget ATM. I know the adage 'you get what you pay for', but I already own two Taurus revolvers and I know Taurus makes a reliable pistol. On the other hand, Hi Point makes a big, blocky .45 for around $200 that I would'nt waste my money on.

Thanks for the input guys.

If the price tag is the only thing keeping you from a Glock, look at used ones. They average around $400 for most models. Find one locally from a private party and you don't pay tax, shipping, or FFL fees.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a used Glock.

I have carried Glocks, again for "business" purposes, but don't use them these days. I think it's worth adding another couple of hundred dollars and getting a USP. But the USP does have that scary hammer to frighten the public. That's their problem....

There are other lower priced alternatives if you can't afford the USP. I know a number of local LEOs who use Rugers and some of the Taurus's work OK too.

Oddly enough, while I wouldn't recommend it as a carry gun, I've always found the Hi-Point to be reliable, if pretty clunky. I have a retired LEO friend in Pigeon Forge who keeps one as his truck gun. Says he trusts it and wouldn't cry if it got stolen from his truck. :cry:

Your guys can take my advice or not. I am not concerned either way. When I tell you something is junk it is because it IS junk. In 2006 I saw over one million rounds fired through every kind of pistol and rifle imaginable I have been an insructor for over 10 years so do some math and consider how man guns I have seen and seen break. I was on the range teaching shooting over 300 days in 2006. I am not telling you this but for any other reason than to qualify my answer.

Do not trust your life to a Taurus.

Glock aren't good for carry? That is a load of CRAP. If you keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target and you are ready to shoot you won't have NDs. Any retard tht NEEDS some buton or lever to keep him from pressing the trigger early shouldn't be carrying a gun and his femoral wound is just Darwinism.

My bio is here: http://www.tacticalresponse.com/instructors/jamesyeager.php

I don't know everything but I DO know a lot about the mindset, tactics, skill, and gear as it related to killing human beings. You don't have to DO anything I say but you should LISTEN to al of it.

Guest triggertime

The sad reality is that the people who wind up shooting themselves with a Glock, or any other brand of firearm for that matter, shouldn't be handling firearms to begin with. Handling and carrying firearms on a daily basis involves a good dose of common sense. The problem is that common sense isn't so common anymore.

It's very simple, when it comes to firearms, the safety is not located on the firearm itself, its located between the ears of the person holding it.

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and be aware of where your muzzle is pointing

at all times. Anyone who can't follow those two simple rules is going to fall victim to the

natural selection process, eventually...

Your guys can take my advice or not.

I know from what I have seen on your website, that you are very knowledgeable, hence the request for clarification. I took your advice not just on face value, but coupled with much research, and I have decided that I agree with your assesment. I am now deciding between the Glock 30 or the XD.

natural selection process

Funny how people cling to that utterly misguided and disproved theory. But, that is OT and for another section.:cry:

I think I hit a nerve or two. :(

I have pretty good credentials too. :cry:

I'm not sure how you are supposed to pre-judge whether you are "worthy" of carrying a Glock. This silliness about how someone shouldn't have a handgun if they can't handle a less safe weapon is nonsense. Just recommend a reliable safer weapon. That's all I'm saying.

Glocks are just one of many possible tools. They have good applications and they have less good applications. There are just better tools for personal protection than a Glock for the public to carry in my experience.

....This silliness about how someone shouldn't have a handgun if they can't handle a less safe weapon is nonsense. Just recommend a reliable safer weapon. That's all I'm saying....

You can call it nonsense if you want, but I don't agree with it...:cry:

If someone actually believes they might shoot themselves, or have an AD, with *any* gun, then they need more TRAINING, and shouldn't be carrying *any* firearm until porperly trained.

Woody

You can call it nonsense if you want, but I don't agree with it...:cry:

If someone actually believes they might shoot themselves, or have an AD, with *any* gun, then they need more TRAINING, and shouldn't be carrying *any* firearm until porperly trained.

Woody

I agree 100%.

Also, you must have continuity in your training, otherwise your skills and knowledge will degrade over time. The guys that scare me the most are the ones that received "formal training" years ago, but have not made any efforts to maintain knowledge or skills. Typically, those fellas overconfidence in themselves leads to trouble.

That's my opinion.

I just got back from the gunstore. They said they sell the XD's as fast as they can get them in. They did not have a Glock 30 though. They offered to order one for me, but I gotta check it out first. The XD comes with a holster, extra mag ( both hi cap), 2 mag pouch and a speed loader. The Glock,so they told me, only comes with an extra mag.

I get everything out the door for around $630. Because I am active duty, I only get charged $20 for app. fee. This may be a bit pricey, but it is the only gun store within 45 minutes. My 350 will burn alot of gun money going elsewhere. If I buy online I gotta pay FFL fees, but they may cut me a break on that too. However, they may not because I wouldn't be buying from them.

My wife likes the little Taurus millinium .40 Both pistols will be about $1100 out the door. I always hate to pony up then find the killer deal after you already spent, but so is life.

• Administrator

The gun stores around here seem to sell XDs as fast as they can get them too. I've owned both Glocks and XDs (among countless others) and can honestly say that my own experience has been that my XDs have been just as reliable as their Glock counterparts.

• Administrator

I don't take any pains to use the grip safety in that way. If you do that the way I'm visualizing with a 1911, you put your thumb right on the hammer. I've taught myself to avoid that with the Kimber so I likewise avoid it with the XD.

:cry: