24/7

Guest DEIMOS

I like the XDs as well. Most people I've seen don't use the grip safety to its best advantage. If you learn to holster the XD by placing your thumb on the slide, your hand automatically stays off of the grip safety.

I will remember that.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from the gunstore. They said they sell the XD's as fast as they can get them in. They did not have a Glock 30 though. They offered to order one for me, but I gotta check it out first. The XD comes with a holster, extra mag ( both hi cap), 2 mag pouch and a speed loader. The Glock,so they told me, only comes with an extra mag.

I get everything out the door for around $630. Because I am active duty, I only get charged $20 for app. fee. This may be a bit pricey, but it is the only gun store within 45 minutes. My 350 will burn alot of gun money going elsewhere. If I buy online I gotta pay FFL fees, but they may cut me a break on that too. However, they may not because I wouldn't be buying from them.

My wife likes the little Taurus millinium .40 Both pistols will be about $1100 out the door. I always hate to pony up then find the killer deal after you already spent, but so is life.

If you do not mine buying a used gun keep an eye out on glocktalk, ar15.com, sigforum.com, craigslist.org and gunbroker.com for people selling guns like you want in your area.

I don't take any pains to use the grip safety in that way. If you do that the way I'm visualizing with a 1911, you put your thumb right on the hammer.

I understand that with a 1911. :cry:

I normally carry a USP 40 for urban use. Most of the time I de-cock it before holstering unless there is a reason to not do that. I cock the piece long before un-holstering under most circumstances, but that's an option with the USP. It's a variant 3, BTW - no lever safety.

Only carry handgun I have with a safety is the Beretta 92SB and the safety never is on except during de-cocking. Then it's immediately returned to DA mode with no safety on, ready to fire.

The XD is a car gun and stays in the side pocket. I do the thumb thing with it if for some reason I have it on my side.

You just have to develop the mindset to treat each handgun differently. Of course, if you keep things...away from the trigger, it really doesn't matter. I basically try to assume that things will go wrong for some reason - mechanically, fatigue, whatever - and add an additionally habitual safety factor when possible.

I had a long talk with my best freind David. He is an expert gunsmith and a lifelong freind. We talked XD and Glock and I finally made my decision for sure. I am getting the G21 for me and the G27 for my wife. I will have pics when we bring home our new family members.:cry:

I had a long talk with my best freind David. He is an expert gunsmith and a lifelong freind. We talked XD and Glock and I finally made my decision for sure. I am getting the G21 for me and the G27 for my wife. I will have pics when we bring home our new family members.:cry:

I have been reading your post on this subject, I would like to make a suggestion and that is if you have a friend that has the guns that you are interested in maybe he will let you shoot them if you buy the ammo, or if there is a gun range in your area that rents handguns, talk to the owner and tell him you want to buy a handgun, but you would like try a few and see if he will rent you 3 or 4 at one price to try and see which one you and your wife like the best. This cost a little bit more but you will save money in the long run, because if you pay full retail for a new handgun and decide you do not like it, you will take a beating on a trade. I say this from experience and I am trying to help. Also check the price of ammo because the price of ammo is going up. Just my $.02 worth, and good luck on whatever you decide to buy.

Your guys can take my advice or not. I am not concerned either way. When I tell you something is junk it is because it IS junk. In 2006 I saw over one million rounds fired through every kind of pistol and rifle imaginable I have been an insructor for over 10 years so do some math and consider how man guns I have seen and seen break. I was on the range teaching shooting over 300 days in 2006. I am not telling you this but for any other reason than to qualify my answer.

Do not trust your life to a Taurus.

Glock aren't good for carry? That is a load of CRAP. If you keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target and you are ready to shoot you won't have NDs. Any retard tht NEEDS some buton or lever to keep him from pressing the trigger early shouldn't be carrying a gun and his femoral wound is just Darwinism.

My bio is here: http://www.tacticalresponse.com/instructors/jamesyeager.php

I don't know everything but I DO know a lot about the mindset, tactics, skill, and gear as it related to killing human beings. You don't have to DO anything I say but you should LISTEN to al of it.

Hi James, I am not trying to hijack this thread but, have you seen the new S&W M&P in action and if so what is your opinion? Thanks in advance, Charles

James, she wants a small frame as she is a small woman. She likes my SW40V, and would like a .40 of her own. In your opinion, is it terrible because it is a subcompact .40? The G26 is a sub in 9x19, would this be a wiser buy? I will show her the 19, 26 and 27. Ultimately I will buy what she feels comfortable with. Your input is appreciated.

Deimos,

Small light .40s have too much recoil for most shooters. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. A 19 and a 26 have the same circumference so there is no issue there. She WILL be able to shoot a 19 better and that has nothing to do with how it "feels" while standing in a gunshop. Standing in a gunshop trying to evaluate how a gun will shoot is like sitting in a car dealership saying "vroom vroom" while sitting in a parked car instead of test driving it.

Kahr pistols seem a favorite of many women and are good guns. My wife carries a Kahr P-9 or a Glock 19 with a grip reduction.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jcoyle6

Seems that I may be a little late on this discussion, however, I carry a Sig 220R condition 2. Being a southpaw the sig works well for me and I don't have to worry about any external safety levers. My personal 45 choice was either Kahr or Sig. I had the money and went sig. Absolutely no regrets. I did look at the Taurus nice and light weight. But I never put any lead downrange with it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DEIMOS

Well, the wait is finally over. I picked up my Glocks today. A 21c and a 17c for myself and a 19c for the wife. The wife let me throw in a Bushmaster as well.icon10.gif

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r78/deimos_02/AR-15015.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r78/deimos_02/17c.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r78/deimos_02/21c.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r78/deimos_02/19c.jpg

Now I gotta get to Tactical Response for training!icon6.gif

Guest DEIMOS
Nice, I bet you will get a Christmas card from gun dealer this year.

LOL, I put in an app for part time there. Recoup some of the money I paid them. Told the wife, if they hire me, this will be training, ammo and accessories money.